Quantcast

Serial Midget,Toninator and other guru's

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Hey guys I need some help if you don't mind :help: . I got me a cheap road bike (OCR3) to ride as part of my exercise routine.I lift three times a week,two body parts each workout.I ride xc or dh on the weekends.My question is what would be my ideal zone for heartrate when my goal is to burn the stubborn extra little bit of fat covering my abs?Last time I tested my max hr was 188.BTW i'm 6ft 172 lbs.Thanks in advance guys.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
To burn fat you should do steady state flats for a few hours at a heartrate of around 75 to 85% of your max, you can easily sustain the lower end for hours with no difficulty. Don't or restrict calories - just add as much saddle time as your ass can take.

Idealy you should have at least 4 workouts lasting at least one hour with your longest ride equaling the previous 3 rides in terms of duration. 5 to 6 hours a week should be plenty.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh... I reread, you don't have very much fat to lose. :D

Ignore what I just wrote (like everyone ingores N8)

I would do 3 level 2/3 workouts lasting for 1 hour each session.

Ride at 75% to 80% for 15 minutes steady then hit it hard at 85% to 90% for 30 minutes and finally cool down at 75% to 80% for 15 minutes.

You can rest your body at each 15 minute interval, when you do so drink a high glycemic drink (maltodextrin added to gatoraid is good) that replaces the calories you just burned. Doing this workout 3 times a week will do wonders for your MTB - it will also add muscle mass to the quads which will increase your metabolism and eventually, ever so slowly... eat away that last bit fat.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Thanks.If my math is right I need to step it up a notch.Last nights ride was 15.65 miles with a avg hr of 132,needs to be between 141-159.As far as restricting calories I don't. I eat every 2 1/2 hours,3 meals and 3 EAS protien shakes and drink 1 gallon of water a day. Thanks again for the info,I will step it up on the ride tonight :thumb:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Serial Midget said:
Oh... I reread, you don't have very much fat to lose. :D

Ignore what I just wrote (like everyone ingores N8)

I would do 3 level 2/3 workouts lasting for 1 hour each session.

Ride at 75% to 80% for 15 minutes steady then hit it hard at 85% to 90% for 30 minutes and finally cool down at 75% to 80% for 15 minutes.

You can rest your body at each 15 minute interval, when you do so drink a high glycemic drink (maltodextrin added to gatoraid is good) that replaces the calories you just burned. Doing this workout 3 times a week will do wonders for your MTB - it will also add muscle mass to the quads which will increase your metabolism and eventually, ever so slowly... eat away that last bit fat.

Ok gotcha.Thats 15 min at 141-150bpm.30min at 159-169bpm,and then 15 min at 141-150.
Thanks
T

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Serial Midget said:
How old are you?

SM i'm 35 years old.Here is the run down on tonights ride.I had to abbreviate the warm up/down due to daylight,to 7 1/2 min each.

Time- 45 minutes
Distance- 14.29m
Avg Speed- 18.6mph
Avg HR -158
(all #'s include warm up/down)

Suggestions??????

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
midg is the man here. i'm pretty lean but i still have a little extra around the waste, i always have. i also dont really do anything but ride (probably will start weight training towards the end of the year) so i have pretty much resigined myself to the fact that it will always be with me unless i specifically focus on it. sounds like to much work though :)

ps dont ever give the expense level of your bike a second thought, ride what ya brung.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
GravityFreakTJ said:
SM i'm 35 years old.Here is the run down on tonights ride.I had to abbreviate the warm up/down due to daylight,to 7 1/2 min each.

Time- 45 minutes
Distance- 14.29m
Avg Speed- 18.6mph
Avg HR -158
(all #'s include warm up/down)

Suggestions??????
As long as you are within your zone and pushing yourself that workout is great. Over time, since you only need to do this 3 times a week you can bumb it up to a level 3/4 - your low would be around 85% and your highs around 95%.

My workout tonight was a level 3/4 - because of my routine only the core gets counted in my log.

7 minutes warm up at 155 followed by a serious grinder climb that pumps me up to 182 - this climb and the warm up takes me 13 minutes and covers 3 miles. I cool down for about 10 minutes whilemy buddy gets his crap together. We coast down the hill and I start my core at the bottom.

It takes me about 10 minutes to steadily raise my HR to 172 which I maintain until it feels effortless - then I will bump it to 177 and hold it steady until a climb, I stand all climbs and further bump it to about 182 (95.2%) for the duration of the short climb, 2 or minutes max, I'll allow myself to drop to about 172 to recover before I resume 177. By this time I am at 40 minutes with about 6 miles to go - I head due west and into the wind where I'll crank at 182 but only be going 16 to 17 MPH for about 2 miles - primarily flat but gruesome. The last 4 miles are with the wind, averaging 22 to 24 MPH is pretty easy at about 165, the last 4 miles are cake. This is my core - exactly 20.5 miles covered in 1:01:37 (19.9 MPH) with an average HR of 164. I am 39, 5ft7 and 168LBS, most likely about 10LBS overweight.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
The Toninator said:
ps dont ever give the expense level of your bike a second thought, ride what ya brung.

It's not that I wouldn't like a Pimp-Daddy road bike but all mt $$ is tied up in the downhill bike,the xc bike and the freeride bike......................................
i need help :help:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Serial Midget said:
As long as you are within your zone and pushing yourself that workout is great. Over time, since you only need to do this 3 times a week you can bumb it up to a level 3/4 - your low would be around 85% and your highs around 95%.

Pretty pleased with my riding,nothing great but this is only my second week on the bike.The target zone traing really made adifference.Last night I rode 15 miles and my avg hr was 132. tonight it was 158 and that includes warm-up/down.BTW I have a new pet peeve,the annoying tell tell beep of the hrm alarm :eviltongu

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Training Update: After my 45 mile road ride Sat. I had a leisurely 13 mile XC ride Sun. with friends(one hadn't ridden in over 2 years) so it was a slow ride. Took Mon. off androde tonight.

Time-1hr9min
Dist.-20.39miles
Avg Spd-17.5
Avg Hrt-141*

Heartrate kinda surprises me as there was a bad headwind,some long climbs :confused: