Quantcast

Servicing a Hadley rear hub

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
Ive searched for this but cant seem to find the answer (although there are about 50 results).

My rear hadley needs stripping down and servicing but how do i do it?

Any special tools needed?

Thanks

ADAM

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I take it the freehub doesn't just pull off like on hopes then? That sucks, I have hadley now :(

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
So, what tools do i need and whats this lube called?

Why is the hadley lube so special?

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
So whats the routine for stripping it down?

Ill give hadley a call next week, but i think ill be able to use nornal spanners.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That teh hell are all of those for!! Are they not just sealed cartridge bearings like most DH hubs?

Take a Hope rear hub, and you need precisely zero tools to take it apart, unless you count a drift and a hammer :)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i rebuilt mine without any special tools; got the esoteric rebuild bits from hadley, & the common bearings from a local shop. lubed with light grease i had kicking around. works great. not a big deal.

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
Are they easy to strip down?

Acadian, mind explaining how its done? Step by Step?

I alwasy used Finish Line XC Wet lube in my hope, surely this will be ok for Hadley?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My shop put some light oil in mine once and it leaked out and got on the brake rotors and pads. :angry: Since then I have used Campy ball bearing grease. Its super thin and I use it VERY, VERY sparingly.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
For tear-down instructions, do a search on mtbr. James from go-ride posted step-by-step instructions. The title of the thread is a real whiney: 'Paging James from Go-ride' or something.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Originally posted by Incubus
For tear-down instructions, do a search on mtbr. James from go-ride posted step-by-step instructions. The title of the thread is a real whiney: 'Paging James from Go-ride' or something.

Originally posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
For just some general maintenance you will need two tools. A spanner wrench (red) for the cassette side of the hub and the right size cone wrench for the disc size of the hub. The disc side of the hub comes in two sizes a smaller one for older Hadley hubs and a larger one for new hubs. I can't remember the exact sizes and have no way of checking because I'm still working from home due to some injuries last week. Hadley also makes these tools for their hub and they work beautifully, but the job can be done with care by the standard bike tools I listed above.

1. Remove the cassette and the disc. You don't absolutely have to, but it makes things easier and will keep lube off your disc.
2. Use the two tools to break the treads free on the two end caps. (Lefty Loosy)
3. Once the threads have been loosened you can finish removing the end cap (usually the cassette side).
4. Turn the hub so it is standing on the disc side and pull that end cap and the axle out of the bottom of the hub (disc side).
5. Gently pull upwards on the cassette body and it will pull free of the hub body. You can now see the paws that engage your hub. From this point you can also remove the needle bearings in the cassette body. Play close attention to the direction of the seals and bearings.
6. Wipe down all the parts as clean as you can and check for any wear or cracks. In most cases the hub just needs some fresh lube.
7. I use a little light grease on the axle and bearings faces.
8. Slide the axle back through the disc side so it is coming through the cassette side hub bearings.
9. Reassemble the needle bearings and cassette body. While doing this coat the needle bearings with machine oil (not grease). Machine oil is a light oil also referred to as sewing machine oil.
9. With the hub facing up (cassette side) fill the ratchet area with machine oil.
10. Slide the cassette body back onto the axle and into the ratchet ring. Extra oil will ooze out.
11. Install the end cap and tighten snuggly, but not so much as to cause much drag.

For the next few rides extra oil will continue to ooze out and attract dirt. Clean this after each ride until it ceases.

Again, I’m writing this from home and from memory, but it should be really close. Always take your time and don’t force things.