Quantcast

Setup Tips for pedaling DH bike uphill :/

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Any long seatpost on a DH bike is gonna need a set-back head with a 360° clamp so it can be set forward. Long doesn't help if you're behind the rear wheel.
Good point- I was thinking 0 offset with the rails slammed forward would be close... Unfortunately I threw out an old specialized post with that usually totally undesirable round head :bonk:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Any long seatpost on a DH bike is gonna need a set-back head with a 360° clamp so it can be set forward. Long doesn't help if you're behind the rear wheel.
I run my '13 Podium with a full length Thomson post (in the correct orientation) with a quick-release clamp.:dirol:

My local lift hill has trail heads spread out over a mile along the top of the ridge, so if you are going to the other side, the seat goes to xc pedal height. My old knees won't take the dropped, nose up position favored by the folks who have yet to experience chronic knee pain. ...and yes, I am in a serious minority.:busted:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Yeah, on flat or barely rolling terrain the seat tube angle doesn't matter so much but on stustained climbs it feels sooo much nicer to get somewhat close to where a normal trail bike would put you. The toe strap on the fork adds to the effect. I've done some silly climbs on my V10.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ya, if I had to climb the thing for any distance, it would be

seat at xc height
wide(r) range cassette
fork bound down
ls comp on the shock cranked up (trade the ccdb coil for a ccdb coil cs)
spring limiter wood block ( pocket sized)
and if I be carrying a pack, a pump and gauge to set tire pressures appropriate for the climb or decent.

...and lots of high rep leg work at teh gym in the off=season - make use of that smith machine or squat rack.