Quantcast

sh*tbag half link chain

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
well i got a new half link today and couldnt get the starter pin through enough to get my tool to work, the pin was to long to thread the push part of the tool in so i tried using a normal pin and then the chain wouldnt move once i put it together that way. the links that i did it on were seized up or something. then a gust of wind came and blew away the little plastic bag that i had the starter pin sitting on and god only knows where that went.:rant:

anyone have a solution for the seized part when i use the normal pins?

thanks guys

S4Sean

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
lube the **** out of the pin, and like the other dude said go too far and then push it back from the other side.
Then flex it back and forth.
I struggled a bit with my half link too, just keep at it.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
do you think its better to only use chain breaker for removing the pin and use pliers to install? i was told by a trusted shop that this practice works better. i don't like the sound of using pliers to push a pin in though. whatcha think?

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
using the tool to put the pin in is what messed me up. It squashed the link together, but ive never had a issue with a regular link chain, just this half link crap

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
You don't need an entire halflink chain. just get one of the half links and put it on a normal chain. The KMC drop-bust is what I'm running its amazing.

And as for putting the pins in, a lot of people might frown at this but just hammer it in, works perfect.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
i use my visegrips to put the pin back in. I hate halflinks too but i understand you need it to get your set up where you want it.

prolly not what you wanna do at this point but thinking towards the future.... could you consider changing the sprocket and driver size to allow using a reg chain but keeping the same gear ratio? That's what I did on my 20.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here

See the second set of tabs, the ones the chain isn't on. Those are for loosening the link after you push the pin in. You push the pin just a hair with the chain mounted on the second set of fingers and it loosens the link.