Quantcast

Sherman *knocking* question

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
i just took my sherman firefly (well whole bike acctually) for a maiden voyage today, and i noticed a *knocking* noise from when the fork is compressed and let it rebound (i hope i'm makeing myself clear). so if i push down on my fork and let it spring back it makes a knocking noise and has sort of like a sticktion feel. just wondering if this is normal or how to fix it.

oh ya i have about 40psi in the spv and the spv chamber is at full open, an rebout at about half, i need some more time on it to get it dialed, just a little curious about the noise is all.

but the fork on a whole feel pretty good i'm realy pleased with it!
i'll try to right up a review and get some pics of my bike and fork when i get some more time on it.

Turley

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Queensland, Australia
Check your oil height dude. I've had a similar problem before.
Send manitou an email asking for the oil height of firefly's (was 4.25 for my slider+) and get it as exact as you can.
This will hopefully solve your problem, otherwise send them in for warrenty.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I had the same problem on my breakout+ when I was relubing the fork. The fork had knocking sound on the rebound. Didn't seem to effect the performance though. I took everything apart again, make sure the spv valve is working and filled it up with the proper oil volume according the service manual. Put about 50psi in the chamber and the "knocking" sound went away. I have not tested it on the trail yet.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
*fixed*
turns oput i was not using any pressure! my ****ty fork pumps oring let out all the ai then i unscrewed the pump. i borrowed my friends and put in like 40psi or 50psi and it went a way!

i hope i didn't cause any damage to the fork by running it under 30psi :eek:

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
yup it's the result of too low pressure...... I found out the same thing, I was running air just not enough..... to heavy of a spring..... went to lighter spring added about 50more psi's and turned the progression all the way in and now the fork is so nice!!!!!

seems like the 5th, in that you need to run a lighter spring then expected........