Quantcast

SHerman slider vs shiver

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
Hi,
I have a 2002 turner dhr with a 2001 shiver wich is still in perfect condition, i love the shiver but i want to try to make the bike lighter in the front and honestly i need a little bit of changes....

the dorado is too expensive for my budget, i dont care for boxxers and the 888...i dont know, i feel marzocchi is not doing good stuff as it used too...
the sherman slider souds interresting and at 6.8lbs it's lighter than the shiver and look like a great fork

I ride downhill and freeride, i like techcnical stuff, i'm not a racer i just ride for fun...I'm an average rider.

should i go for the slider or keep my shiver another year and buy somethiong else!
will i be happy with my slider compared to the shiver or the difference is just gonna be minimal?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm not a big fan of the TPC+ feel, it ramps up a little too quickly and is underdampened in the initial part of the stroke for me. If you like the feel of you really like the feel of your shiver I wouldn't suggest anything else, if you feel like the shiver isn't for you then maybe you should give the slider + a try.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Shiver, the small bump sensitivity is bar none. You can't feel sh** riding that thing, it's great. Plus it's big and badass.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
'04 Slider Plus is the way to go guarenteed. Yes it will feel a bit wierd when just pushing on it much like a 5th element but once on the trail, it feels awesome. It's light, it's plush and it's the MOST tunable fork around right now. You can do anything you want with the adjustments on that thing. Go for the Slider for sure.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I test rode the new sliders. I didn't like the feel of them compared to my shiver's (SC and DC). They did have no damping in the begginging and ramped up fast. I agree on that one.

The shiver is a very nice feeling fork. I do think as well as you do it does weigh alot but I'll take the weight over performance for my weight (230lbs). I think the shiver and most marzocchi forks just have a proven track record.

I'd vote to keep the shiver. You can always go down to a Super T (that is a tad lighter but not a whole lot). Not too many options out there for long travel vs. weight savings. Boxxers are probably the lightest out of the different dual crown forks (i think?)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Spunger
Boxxers are probably the lightest out of the different dual crown forks (i think?)
Nope, sliders are (at least when talking about real DH forks, not mavericks). Boxxers are ~7lbs.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Seeing as you appear to very much enjoy the shiver feeling then surely the 888 would be the obvious choice. According to reports it retains that Shiver feeling and apparently feels plusher and stiffer.

As your goal is weight saving, then the 888 is sub 8lbs (similar to dorado) and lighter than the 9lbish Shiver.

Also the Mojo internals, again, apparently there is approximately a 1lb saving (varies on operson to person I beleive), and according to reports improves performance in areas such as braking bumps where the fork can sometimes feel like its packing down.

All this is 2nd hand info of course, but it is what I would be considering if weight loss was my concern.

or 2nd hand Dorado?

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Slider plus is SPV not TPC. I've been using this fork for about 3 months now and really like it. I way 220lbs and this is my setup. 02 Big Hit DH with stock fox in the back (500lbs spring) and Slider Plus up front with the stock spring replaced by the heavy spring, 45psi SPV pressure and 1.5 to 2.5 turns SPV volume. SPV volume I change depending on how the fork bottoms on the biggest section of the course I am on. For general DH/Freeride I leave the SPV volume at 2 turns in. Get yourself a very accurate shockpump, Prep-M and Prep-M grease gun and your set. Get the right spring for your weight (heavy) and this fork will amaze you. :thumb: PM me if you have questions.:evil:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Everyone that I know who has a Shiver sports pure wood over the thing. I rode one on a friends bike and it was pure butter.
I have heard people say things like, well, I know its heavy, but I don't care. When you hear that, you know it works great.

There is nothing weird feeling about the Slider +. The damping works great, and you can adjust the fork to make it feel like you want it to. Some people like to push down on a fork inside a shop floor and then say that it feels weird.
Downside is that you can't "really" run a 2.8 tire and the steering radius can be short on some bikes.

On a 02 DHR, I would seriously consider a 7' 888.
If feels great, like a cheerleader, and it should fit that
frame well.;)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Everyone that I know who has a Shiver sports pure wood over the thing. I rode one on a friends bike and it was pure butter.
I have heard people say things like, well, I know its heavy, but I don't care. When you hear that, you know it works great.
Agreed there!

I will say the Sherman felt funny on a showroom but didn't feel all that bad riding around. I think once you find a brand of forks that work for you generally you stick with them. I haven't had anything other than Shivers on my bikes and love them. While riding a bike with a regular fork it felt different. Not to say that I didn't like it but there's a learning curve with everything.

The fact that my M1 has a progressive shock makes it a good idea for the SPV stuff. Or a MRD X-works dorado. That'd be sweet!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
you see, people either like or dislike the way shermans feel. Your best bet is to go and ride one then make a decision. You wouldn't want to pay for a fork like that only to sell it at a huge loss so you could buy another shiver.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
Thanks for all thoses replies...
it does give me more info but got me more confused since you all have different opinions...

i will have to find one to test...