Quantcast

Shimano AM41 Shoes

Distil

Chimp
Jan 24, 2008
Bromont, Qc
I was wondering if anyone had a chance to test these out?
My current 5.10's are more then worned out but I dont like the newer models fit, the Karver feels good but are so ugly I though I could try something else this year.

Vibram sole grip any good?

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I like mine a lot. I've been wearing 5.10s for a few years and didn't think I'd find something I like as much, but these are it. I'm using them with some Point 1 pedals and get all the grip I need. I also like the lace cover that keeps the slop and wet out.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
In had the previous model which had the same sole, I'm pretty sure as long as you don't use Dark Cycles Arachnid pedals(as I did) you should be fine, my soles lasted a bit less that three months before the had holes torn through.

I wasn't a fan of the complete lack of padding around the ball of the foot, if you are one to stop your foot down on effed up jumps these are not the shoes for you, my feet were bruised for ages.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
In had the previous model which had the same sole, I'm pretty sure as long as you don't use Dark Cycles Arachnid pedals(as I did) you should be fine, my soles lasted a bit less that three months before the had holes torn through.

I wasn't a fan of the complete lack of padding around the ball of the foot, if you are one to stop your foot down on effed up jumps these are not the shoes for you, my feet were bruised for ages.
It's not just the arachnids, any pedal with set screws will eat the sole quickly. Mine lasted a season. I wonder if I could have them re-soled with the 5.10 stealth rubber?

I really like the shoes but they do need a more durable sole.

Why not try out the new Tevas?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
personally i like the vibram sole on the shimano's (i have the 2010 model) better than the sticky rubber on the 5.10's. i can make micro adjustments to foot position on the pedal without having to actually lift my foot off the pedal, yet the grip is still great on my wah wah's when things get rough.

also, and this is personal, shimano shoes just fit me better and are more comfortable.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
When someone tells me that Vans shoes have acceptable grip after coming from 5.10's I begin to have serious doubts about their credibility. Even more so in the wet...

Also have you ever tried dabbing at high speed with a Vans shoes? It's...interesting.

Do the Shimano or Teva shoes have thick soles?

Edit: With the Shimano and the Teva it also seems like having a concave pedal would be pretty important seeing as the sole bends upwards near the toes. But I'd guess they'd be a lot more comfortable to walk in than 5.10's.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Shimano's sole is very thin and I found that if for some reason you land with a foot down it hurts like hell, the innersole is also thin and deforms and starts to move around.

One other problem that I had with the older 41 was that the hell cup wasn't really a cup, it just had a bit of right angled foam that caused blisters and the material tore in the heel cup in no time at all.
These were the first shoes I have had give me blisters in at least 10years, the outer on the shoes was top quality and the lace cover was awesome and they were needed as Shimano fit 100ft laces to them.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I've had the 5.10 Freerider, Impact Low and Shimano AM41. I'm very familiar with Stealth rubber, and they are one of the stickiest rubber compounds for their specified applications. Vibram also has a lot of different types, but seemed to go with not-too-sticky kind for mountain biking. Vibram's SX Grip rubber AKA the ones they use for rock climbing is on par with 5.10's Stealth.

Surprisingly, I have to say I like my AM41's more than the Impact's at the moment. I've been on my AM41 regularly, and just randomly decided to wear my Impact's yesterday at N*. It felt real awkward & scary not to easily adjust my feet on the pedal, unlike the AM41's, which I can do quite easily. AM41 is sticky enough, with the benefit of allowing micro adjustments on the pedal.

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I've had the 5.10 Freerider, Impact Low and Shimano AM41. I'm very familiar with Stealth rubber, and they are one of the stickiest rubber compounds for their specified applications. Vibram also has a lot of different types, but seemed to go with not-too-sticky kind for mountain biking. Vibram's SX Grip rubber AKA the ones they use for rock climbing is on par with 5.10's Stealth.

Surprisingly, I have to say I like my AM41's more than the Impact's at the moment. I've been on my AM41 regularly, and just randomly decided to wear my Impact's yesterday at N*. It felt real awkward & scary not to easily adjust my feet on the pedal, unlike the AM41's, which I can do quite easily. AM41 is sticky enough, with the benefit of allowing micro adjustments on the pedal.

+1

The AM 41's does have have a thin sole but they really feel comfy to wear and they don't self destruct after a few rides, as with the case of my Carver.

They are also much cheaper compared to 5.10's

I own a pair of Impact 2's, a Carver (ugly as hell), an AM41, and its clipped sibling the AM45 and i find myself wearing the AM41's on relatively smoother terrain where there are less high speed and long rocky descents.

It's significantly easier to shift your feet in these. Definitely less grippy. On really rough terrain with very long high speed rock sections I favor the 5.10's more coz it stays in place most of the time...then again it may just be down to my rear shock rebound settings...

Nurse Ben

Chimp
Oct 28, 2011
I have ridden with Sam Hills (Impact Low), Freeride grey, and currently ride the Freeride RedBaron.

For sole firmness, the Sam Hills were the best, but I did not like the way the sole was relieved under the arch, the rubber tended to get tore up fast, and the toe box is smallish. The Freeride grey was too wimpy in the sole and had some rand delamination issues. The RedBarons have been the best durability and feel, nice and sticky, but they are too soft/flexy in the sole for all day riding.

How does the Shimano AM 41 compare in terms of sole stiffness?

Is there another flat soled shoe, non spd, that would be stiffer than Five Ten?

Last edited: