Quantcast

Shimano M810 and M972 rear mech questions

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Few questions if anyone here knows -

1. Is the little link that attaches to the frame's hanger available separately? (top left in pic)
2. Are those links compatible between the M810 and M972? (can I use one on the other?)
3. The M810 seems to have been updated to reduce play in a few parts after first being released, with the later version being more durable... is there a similar story on the M972, or are they all the same?
4. The updated M810 still develops play between that link (gold on M810) and the bolt that goes through it - is there a good way to fix this? shimming? Does the same problem occur on the other Shimano RD's?

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Few questions if anyone here knows -

1. Is the little link that attaches to the frame's hanger available separately? (top left in pic)
2. Are those links compatible between the M810 and M972? (can I use one on the other?)
3. The M810 seems to have been updated to reduce play in a few parts after first being released, with the later version being more durable... is there a similar story on the M972, or are they all the same?
4. The updated M810 still develops play between that link (gold on M810) and the bolt that goes through it - is there a good way to fix this? shimming? Does the same problem occur on the other Shimano RD's?
1. Yes, it is available seperately.
2. Not compatible.
3. There is only one version for the M972 derailleur.
4. Shimming with thin washers seems like the best option.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks, turns out the bolt just needed tightening so there was actually no play. The saint link is definitely not compatible with the M972 mech I'm guessing?

If that link is available separately, do you know the part number? I looked at the exploded view pdf here and can't seem to see that part labeled, maybe I'm missing it or there's another document?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
1. Yes, it is available seperately.
2. Not compatible.
3. There is only one version for the M972 derailleur.
4. Shimming with thin washers seems like the best option.
1. Not in the land of convicts, bogans and bundy rum they aren't. At least when I tried to get one for an XTR, even gave them the part number (which is listed on the Shimano Japan website) and the importer said ~'no we're lazy cunts'.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
the cages are interchangeable, if this is of any interest to you... i made a short cage XTR der with the 972 derailleur and the 810 cage...

sorry for the crappy pic...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So the consensus is, the part is available separately somewhere, just nowhere useful. Do you have a link to the part number you are talking about dilzy?

worship_mud - I'm aware of that, not sure if you noticed but the picture I posted is of the same setup.