Quantcast

Shimano splined to Hayes

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I was not having much luck with my parameters in the search engine, but I'm sure this info is out there, so if y'all could direct me to some existing threads, that would be great.

My question is simple:

Can I use Hayes MAG calipers on Shimano center-lock disc brake rotors? I'm getting a new bike (sponsered, so no choice about setup) with Shimano hubs and brakes. I don't want the Dual Control, so I'm seeing what my options are for after-market mods.

Gracias!

J

JRB

It may take a little facing or some shims, but I don't know why not. You can use Shimano calipers on 6 bolt disc set ups.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Wumpus said:
Just an observation:

Shimano claims an outside diameter of 160mm and if hayes is a true 6" that is only 152mm. Don't know what kind of difference that would make.
Most companies' 6" rotor is 160mm, some are 165, I forget which is made by whom, but I think the Hayes is 160 as well. It should work. Shimano doesn't make any kind of adapter for 6-bolt to centerlock, but the DT Swiss is definitely a good option. Problem solvers makes one, but it's not nearly as slick looking(and looks less reliable as far as stuff coming loose is concerned) as the DT Swiss.

J

JRB

I have ridding XTRs with XT levers and Magura rotors, so I don't know why it wouldn't go the other way.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
I would keep the shimano's and buy some xt levers. They are lighter, better modulation, better levers, and use MINERAL OIL. Its the only bit of shimano kit that I think is worth a damn.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MtnbikeMike said:
Most companies' 6" rotor is 160mm, some are 165, I forget which is made by whom, but I think the Hayes is 160 as well. It should work. Shimano doesn't make any kind of adapter for 6-bolt to centerlock, but the DT Swiss is definitely a good option. Problem solvers makes one, but it's not nearly as slick looking(and looks less reliable as far as stuff coming loose is concerned) as the DT Swiss.
I think the only brakes which used 165mm rotors were the original Avid mechs. They stopped making these rotors this year, and they recommend going to 185mm (with the requisite caliper adaptors).

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I second the advice to get XT levers and whatever shifters you like. I know people who have used Hayes calipers and XT rotors, but it ain't the best match. I think the shimano rotor os about 15mm deep whereas the Hayes is around 20mm. That's just an eyeball guesstimate but it results in funky pad wear.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
gorgechris said:
Can I use Hayes MAG calipers on Shimano center-lock disc brake rotors? I'm getting a new bike (sponsered, so no choice about setup) with Shimano hubs and brakes. I don't want the Dual Control, so I'm seeing what my options are for after-market mods.
Your best bet is to simply get the adapters from Center Lock to 6-bolt. I tried the Mags with XTR rotors and oldfart is right - the Shimano rotor has a [for lack of a better word] shallower wall where the pads engage, and they wear out the Hayes pads really fast!

Or get a pair of Saint brakes! :) They rule!!! Hayes stopping power with Shimano modulation!!