Quantcast

Shimano XT disc caliper & 185mm rotors

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hi,

Thinking of switching to XT discs on both my bikes. Any, I know they offer a 170mm rotor for Manitou forks. What I wonder is if it is actually a diffrent caliper, or just the regular IS caliper and an adapter. Provided it is the same caliper, I could purchase a Manitou-specific set, w/ the 170mm rotor, and a GRC components adapeter and run a 170mm rotor in the front. Am I missing something, or is the feasible? Thanks.

If the standard size is 170mm and providing you can find a 190mm disc you could use a +20 adapter from Hope.This is IS-IS mounting and just spaces the caliper an extra 20mm from the dropout to enable you to run the bigger disc.
Or you could just buy some Hopes and have done with it ;)

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by Colin
Hi,

Thinking of switching to XT discs on both my bikes. Any, I know they offer a 170mm rotor for Manitou forks. What I wonder is if it is actually a diffrent caliper, or just the regular IS caliper and an adapter. Provided it is the same caliper, I could purchase a Manitou-specific set, w/ the 170mm rotor, and a GRC components adapeter and run a 170mm rotor in the front. Am I missing something, or is the feasible? Thanks.
A Manitou specific set uses a 170mm rotor (as opposed to 160mm) because it requires an adapter to fit on the Manitou Post Mount, and an adapter couldn't be made to work with 160mm rotors. 170mm is an odd size and really won't help braking that much.

Shimano makes a downhill XT disc that you should look into, with 203mm rotors.