Quantcast

Shipping bike vs. flying with bike

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
Didn't know exactly what forum to post this in but need an answer quickly and couldn't find anything.

I'm flying out to California for Sea Otter. I'm taking my full suspension rig out. I can either fly with it or ship it out a couple days early. I've looked into the costs of shipping and they seem incredibly high (over $100), but I expected this. The cost to fly with it would be about $75. I would choose to fly with but I have a layover and am afraid that my bike will get lost along the way.
So..
1. I can fly with my bike and it will cost less but might not get there on time, or
2. I can ship it out, knowing it will get there, but spend a lot more to do so.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
There are horror stories either way. I prefer to bring it with me on the plane, though, because when they lose stuff, they usually find it more quickly than UPS ("usually" being the key word in that sentence). Be careful with that $75 quote though - nowadays, more and more airlines are charging you a bike fee PLUS an overweight fee (assuming the box and bike weigh more than 50 lbs combined). Often times that can add up to $125 - $150 each way.

--JP

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
P.S. If you don't want to pay anything for the bike, though, split it up into two small boxes - one for the wheels and some extra gear, one for the frame/fork and extra gear - and make sure neither breaks the 50 lbs. mark. Then, carry on a 'rollerboard' style suit case and backpack for anything else you may need. The most you'll get charged is that 2nd bag fee (typically $25); if you have Silver or better status with the airlines, both checked bags are free.

This method is a pain in the ass at the airport, but you'll save tons of money. Rent one of those little Smarte Cartes, though, and you'll be just fine. I took 6 trips with my bike packed this way last year, and I spent a grand total of $36 (all on Smarte Cartes); taking a traditional bike box would have cost at least $900.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
For $75 I would take it on the plane, I will pretty much always do the cheaper option.

Me and my wife just shipped our skis to Colorado for a trip, it was cheaper to mail them in that case.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
john gave great advice. I wish it was the old days when I could stuff two DH bikes into my bikepro case and take it for free with the United bike vouchers.

Anyway, John do you know of any inexpensive lugage that will fit wheels?

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
I'm a fan of putting the bike in a suitcase for anything you can pull the rear triangle off of. Line the suitcase with clothes and pads to protect parts from each other.

For a dual crown fork you might have to pull the crown down some. I've used this method multiple times with everything from trail bikes to DH bikes and it works great, just watch the weight, you can stuff a lot of stuff into a wheel bag. The problem now is definitely the extra charge for pretty much any checked bag that they've added. It might not be as bad as a bike box though. It is easier to transport than a bike box in my opinion but it is a hassle to take everything apart this way so I say it's about even either way.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
P.S. If you don't want to pay anything for the bike, though, split it up into two small boxes - one for the wheels and some extra gear, one for the frame/fork and extra gear - and make sure neither breaks the 50 lbs. mark. Then, carry on a 'rollerboard' style suit case and backpack for anything else you may need. The most you'll get charged is that 2nd bag fee (typically $25); if you have Silver or better status with the airlines, both checked bags are free.

This method is a pain in the ass at the airport, but you'll save tons of money. Rent one of those little Smarte Cartes, though, and you'll be just fine. I took 6 trips with my bike packed this way last year, and I spent a grand total of $36 (all on Smarte Cartes); taking a traditional bike box would have cost at least $900.
This is exactly what I did for the national champs last year. Take the spring out of your fork to compress it and zip tie it compressed; takes up less space in the box and protects the stanchions. I put padded wrap around a lot of parts, but mainly used my riding gear and rain jackets for padding.
Saving $150 is worth a full tare down and build up of your rig. FWIW, I had to take the front triangle off the linkage to get it all to fit.
Wheel boxes are the perfect size. I fit my DHR, Fox 40, 2 pairs of shoes, 3 riding pants/shorts, 3 jerseys, a core save, 2 sets of knee pads, 4 tires, 3 wheels, all my components, all necessary tools for reassembly and regular maintenance, 2 rain coats, and some other stuff. Carried on my helmet bag and a small roller suitcase for the rest of my stuff.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Anyway, John do you know of any inexpensive lugage that will fit wheels?
Chris-

I just got a frame box from a local shop, chopped it up as necessary, then coated the entire thing in Gorilla Tape. Cut some hand holes in it, and you're good to go. I think it took me about an hour and a half to do both the wheel box and the frame box, and they both lasted a full season. It looks a little ghetto I guess, but hell, I'll take it if you can save close to a thousand bucks over the season.

--JP

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
dont be penny wise dollar foolish .. im sure your shipping a bike thats worth a couple grand to replace .. so even if you have to pay to make sure it gets there , especially in 1 piece . its worth it

Sep 1, 2008
ive heard some stories that if u have a bike box, put gold stickers on it, and sometimes they will check it for free. they check golf clubs for free, or used to. idk i guess it might be worth a try?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Just don't fly US Airways and you should be okay. After I had a horrible experience with them on a recent international experience I started researching them. Turns out they have significantly more complaints than pretty much any other airline.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
Just don't fly US Airways and you should be okay. After I had a horrible experience with them on a recent international experience I started researching them. Turns out they have significantly more complaints than pretty much any other airline.
I'm flying United so hopefully I won't have that problem. I'm going to split up the bike into two boxes. We'll see what'll happen.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I'm flying United so hopefully I won't have that problem. I'm going to split up the bike into two boxes. We'll see what'll happen.
with United, you have to split them up into two boxxes that are less than 62" and 50 pounds. Otherwise, they screw you with $175 each way for the bike. Yes, that $350 round trip for just the bike.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
with United, you have to split them up into two boxxes that are less than 62" and 50 pounds. Otherwise, they screw you with $175 each way for the bike. Yes, that $350 round trip for just the bike.
I wasn't expecting it to be that much. I'll definitely split up the bike then.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
FYI, the gate agents have a TON of leeway in the decision of how much to charge you. One strategy I've used in the past when I just had a big bike box is checking in with the skycaps curbside. Be straight with them - tell them you have a bike in there, and ask them what they can do to "help you out on the baggage fee". Then show them a $50 bill. They'll generally tell you whether they can work with you, and if so, give them the 50. In my experience, they've just checked it right through with no further charges.

The obvious catch is that not all airports have skycaps . . .

--JP

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
John: has that worked in the last year or so since they got crazy on the fees? I only ask because I have heard of several people trying it lately with no success. It worked 2+ years ago with no issues. It seems like the airline "representatives" are getting a commission with how hard a$$ed they have become.

I always seem to breeze though without paying for oversized/weight bags (bikes withheld). However, I always watch people get jacked for $50 for a bag that is overweight by 3 pounds when if they had a clue or the agent was nice they would just tell them to take something out and stuff it in their carry-on. Not sure if it's that people either travel looking like hoodlums or tourist that only travel once every few years. I am always late getting out of work so I end up at the airport on vacation trips in business attire.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
John: has that worked in the last year or so since they got crazy on the fees? I only ask because I have heard of several people trying it lately with no success. It worked 2+ years ago with no issues. It seems like the airline "representatives" are getting a commission with how hard a$$ed they have become.
Whoops, sorry I didn't see this before. The last time I did this was about 2 years ago, so I'm not sure whether it still works. I do know that most sky caps are not employees of the airlines; they're employees of the airport itself and make CRAP for wages (usually under $5/hr). Tips - especially big ones - go a very long way with them.

how do you guys get both wheels in a box that within 62"?
The box I'm using this year is a standard size used by QBP to ship tires and such. Hence, it's just a little over 26" on a side and thick enough to fit two wheels (one on top of the other) within. I'm pretty sure it exceeds the 62 linear inch guideline, but I've never had them measure my bags . . . ever (knock on wood).

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
I guess this is now the most effective way of flying a bike w/o paying a huge amount. i inquired for an international flight.... if the box is over 62" you'll get a $160 hit.... over 80" and that's 3 times @ $480. damn! To avoid the charges, the bike pretty much needs to be disassembled piece-by-piece to keep it below or close to the total length of 62"..... using up 2 luggage in the process. just crazy.

Last edited:

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
I flew with my bike from Memphis to Stockholm, Sweden with one stop at Newark. I just put in a bike box i got from a LBS. I wasn't charged any extra at all, it was with Northwest airlines and SAS. Only problem was that the TSA made me unpack the entire bike at the airport and show them it was just a bike and not WMD :s

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
lucky you. actually i've managed to get my bike box thru as well w/o any extra charges but that was before when i thought there really was an exception for bikes. i would argue with them.... but now i know there is no such exception.

...from their website.

Checked Baggage Weight and Measurement
Baggage is measured by adding length, width and height to determine the total number of linear inches/centimeters.

* Northwest will accept baggage up to a maximum of 50 pounds (23 kg) and a total linear dimension of 62 inches (158 cm) per piece.
* Additional charges apply for baggage weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) or with a total linear dimension of more than 62 inches (158 cm) per piece.
* For domestic and trans-Pacific travel, the maximum weight accepted for any piece of checked baggage, including special baggage items, is 100 pounds. For trans-Atlantic travel, the maximum weight accepted for any piece of checked baggage is 70 pounds.

Note: If you are flying on a codeshare partner, please check with the operating carrier for maximum acceptance rules as they may vary.

* Customers checking bags to a destination in Europe and beyond on KLM must request space for baggage in excess of the free allowance. Please call Reservations at 1-800-225-2525. Provide the agent with your confirmation number and the total number of pieces to be checked through to your final destination. You must provide the dimensions (length x width x height), weight and contents.

* Bags checked to or through Europe or with a connection to Continental Airlines cannot exceed 70 pounds (32 kg).