Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
One step closer! Just took an involuntary paycut. Not much of one to be fair, but a paycut none the less. This shit's going to get worse before it gets better.
Better than the alternative, I guess. Hang in there 'Squeeb, sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
LOL, there is now a rumor circulating that one or more of our mechanics in DET may have been involved in the "plot" to kidnap the governor.

Edit: I x-checked the named six in the criminal complaint against the directory. If they were in fact employees of ours, the Mothership removed them from the roster with nigh unprecedented speed.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One step closer! Just took an involuntary paycut. Not much of one to be fair, but a paycut none the less. This shit's going to get worse before it gets better.

Mandatory paycuts are one of the best ways of reducing headcount by getting your best employees to quit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have no problem with it now. I’d fly it.

On the other hand, I don’t recommend flying an Indian Boeing or Airbus or whatever plane they happen to be flying. The stories (accidents and incidents) that come out of there are just mind blowing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

On the other hand, I don’t recommend flying an Indian Boeing or Airbus or whatever plane they happen to be flying. The stories (accidents and incidents) that come out of there are just mind blowing.
Same. The problems with the MCAS system were horrifyingly dumb, but easy to fix. On top of that every other aspect of the airplane got reviewed probably with more scrutiny than any other modern aircraft.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...

I Dont recommend fly Boeing, period. Working with them is a shit show.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Same. The problems with the MCAS system were horrifyingly dumb, but easy to fix. On top of that every other aspect of the airplane got reviewed probably with more scrutiny than any other modern aircraft.
Have you read anything re accepting inputs from both angle of attack sensors at once in the new version?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have had that as a goal since roughly when the 737s started to go down. Lead-in factors were being tired of TSA bullshit and multiple flights driven by the hub system. In particular, weather crap at JFK causing connecting flights to be missed. Fuck that.
I mean, maybe if I got rich and retired early and learned to fly a small prop plane myself. My 90 year old neighbor used to fly them, I enjoy hearing his stories.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you read anything re accepting inputs from both angle of attack sensors at once in the new version?

It has been a while since I read anything about it but I believe they take redundant sensor inputs, shut down the MCAS system if sensors disagree, alert the pilots, limit MCAS control range, allow pilot input to override MCAS and limit the number of MCAS actuations all in addition to adding MCAS to pilot training and simulation. It is possible that synthetic sensor data is also being used to verify signals, (AKA an observer function for control nerds)

A whole lot of shit would have to go sideways for an MCAS related accident now, multiple airplane and pilot failures, which is the way itshould have been in the first place.

Hard to think of a scenario where it could be a problem again. Matching sensor failures, pilot error while flying dangerously close to terrain perhaps.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It has been a while since I read anything about it but I believe they take redundant sensor inputs, shut down the MCAS system if sensors disagree, alert the pilots, limit MCAS control range, allow pilot input to override MCAS and limit the number of MCAS actuations all in addition to adding MCAS to pilot training and simulation. It is possible that synthetic sensor data is also being used to verify signals, (AKA an observer function for control nerds)

A whole lot of shit would have to go sideways for an MCAS related accident now, multiple airplane and pilot failures, which is the way itshould have been in the first place.

Hard to think of a scenario where it could be a problem again. Matching sensor failures, pilot error while flying dangerously close to terrain perhaps.
IIRC they didn't use both sensors' data unless the airline paid premium for that "feature". fucking bean counters :(
I am pretty sure that won't be happening again.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hard to think of a scenario where it could be a problem again.
anwers to this and more coming soon!

I for one have complete confidence in the pairing of airplane makers and airlines, two industries currently facing historic financial losses, to do the right thing when it comes to cutting corners!

I wont feel safe flying until another round of mechanic layoffs paired with some govt stimulus going straight to boost stonks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
IIRC they didn't use both sensors' data unless the airline paid premium for that "feature". fucking bean counters :(
You can also thank consumers whose only purchasing metric is price and those who scream for deregulation at every opportunity.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
nationalize that shit.

at least with antifa airlines everyone would be wearing a mask without being such a fucking baby about it

gonna have to deal with tantrums over the no window breaking policy however
I work with industrial automation. There are a ton of standards out there and very few laws and little to no regulation. The motivation to make things safe is purely from the standpoint of liability. Kill someone and you will get sued, so do as little as possible and hope your insurance premiums don't go up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Worse than that per my recollection.

All planes have two AOA sensors. The extra-pay feature was an obscure light on the dashboard showing the two sensors to be providing conflicting information. MCAS itself still only (randomly per startup) would only take into account data from one sensor regardless.

The human interaction for the optional-light setup would be to recognize said light while MCAS was pushing the nose down, realize that the implication was that the sensor data from the MCAS-utilized one AOA sensor was bogus, and then act upon it accordingly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There is a vocal minority in the aerospace industry who claim that the accidents were the results of 'non white' pilots.
There is validity to the non-western aviation view, much of the rest of the world pairs pilots with as little as 200 hours experience as the first officer and the “captain” basically barks orders. The us model is that both are highly experienced and you only make it to the major airlines as a first officer with thousands of hours experience and BOTH pilots are trained to speak up for any safety issues and then the airline culture highly reinforces this. The further removed the airline is from the US geographically, the more the FO tends to be highly inexperienced and the crew doesn’t really back each other up. This isn’t going to catch everything, but there is validity to the US system being better. Some international major airlines are kind of “in between” the US and the third world in this respect.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
There is validity to the non-western aviation view, much of the rest of the world pairs pilots with as little as 200 hours experience as the first officer and the “captain” basically barks orders. The us model is that both are highly experienced and you only make it to the major airlines as a first officer with thousands of hours experience and BOTH pilots are trained to speak up for any safety issues and then the airline culture highly reinforces this. The further removed the airline is from the US geographically, the more this tends to be the case. This isn’t going to catch everything, but there is validity to the US system being better. Some international major airlines are kind of “in between” the US and the third world in this respect.
[/QUOTE]
I was talking to a Southwest pilot (retired Air Force fighter pilot) a few years ago and said he refuses to fly on some International carriers, he said one, lack of training hours and two, pilots of way over worked and fly exhausted.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why do people, who can seemingly walk fine down the jetway and everywhere else, have to grab the back of each seat when walking in the cabin?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
fuck.........

I had all kinds of drug and mental breakdown jokes ready until I saw that head check on the ground at the end

eeesh

I hope those dickbag cops didn't make it worse when they got to him
Oof, hadn't watched to the end