Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just watched that the other night, Man talk about some shady shit all in the name of stock prices and saving a few bucks on training but more importantly I thought was disappointing was the revisions of the airframe rather than do the old school boeing thing and build one from scratch.
There’s a bunch of misleading stuff in there. The congressional report is the best source IME. Not that Boeing wasn’t lured by the all might dollar/cost cutting, but some of the facts in there aren’t the right ones…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And that "speed" is typically only moving in the horizontal, given that it's based on satellite ADS-B data, so actual airspeed is that + vertical speed vector addition, or wait for black box. The GPS ADS-B data is only 1x a second too, so it may not catch up when stuff is happening this fast (actual dive speed).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seems silly we still rely on black boxes instead of satelite telemetry.
True, but the bandwidth of information captured by the BB is way way in excess of what is transmitted to sats with 1090 ADS-B, like flight control positions, flight control inputs, CVR, and just data points, etc. The sats doing some of the telemetry stuff currently, like engine condition/maintenance, position reports, are multi-tasking and have other commercial applications outside of aircraft. The sat infrastructure likely doesn't exist to support this. Not that it can't, but it's going to need investment and upkeep similar to GPS, with spare sats flying around in case of issues, redundancy, etc. It'll have to work everywhere planes fly, etc.

FDRs and CVRs in the tail are extremely survivable, the energy absorbed by the rest of the aircraft usually keeps these viable in all but the rarest cases.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Seems silly we still rely on black boxes instead of satelite telemetry.
@Jm_ covers most of it. Modern FDRs record hundreds, if not thousands, of pieces of information every second. It varies a little with country/carrier requirements, but the aircraft in question was relatively new, so surely this was the case with this aircraft. Bandwidth alone would be a pretty big issue. Some maintenance stuff gets remotely sent to an airlines mother ship, but again, depending on the carrier, that sort of traffic is in no way second by second, or even terribly reliable. ADS-b is probably as good as it's going to get for a while in terms of remote monitoring. I actually find it pretty astonishing that we are even privy to altitude, airspeed, and rate of descent practically before the wreckage quit burning.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ADS-B update rate is 1 second and contains only a few useful parameters, such as groundspeed, ground track, x, and y (vertical speed can be extrapolated), and so on. Although there are quite a bit more fields than this, most of them are other ephemeras information that isn't terribly applicable. It's based on GPS position, not where the aircraft nose is pointed, not how fast it's going through the air (relative wind, which translates to angle of attack) and so on. Again, some of these things can be approximated, but it leaves out a lot and isn't anywhere close to what is captured on the FDR and CVR. CVR are of such quality that the NTSB can analyze to tell which specific switch in the cockpit was flipped based on the sound. Not only that, but the 1090 ADS-B bandwidth, out of the two systems that were originally considered, has less bandwidth. The US used 978 first, and still does, but the rest of the world went to 1090, which an be space-based, but carries less bandwidth, so you can't get the additional data like weather information, notices, reports, beamed to your cockpit.

Again, this is a good idea, it's time just hasn't quite come yet. Even if we get close to it, there'll probably be a lengthy transition pereiod where it's tested with both functioning to ensure that there are no data issues or loss of communication, etc. And even then, with the way aviation works, it might be likely they will still have FDR/CVR functions, just probably micro sized and built into specific systems. Many systems have stored data now that is also analyzed when it survives.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"They had to change my seat"

From having a seat, to canceling the flight and not having a seat...

Y'all know who I'm blaming for this.
Screenshot_20220413-205817_Outlook.jpg

Hunter, obviously. I'll just double down and poke a stick in @Pesqueeb 's wheel if we ride together.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
im surprised my flight to denver on monday has only changed once...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So far......
not three hours after i check in....plane change....seat change....still a aisle seat....

cocksuckers...

EDIT.....for a flight i was sure i cancelled in fucking december....and how the fuck did i make three rental car reservations for the same trip...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Airplane, not airline, but:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Airplane, not airline, but:

what wonderful society we've created

he also needs to be thrown in jail for creating a potential fire hazard in that area. You fart the wrong direction at those hills and they ignite.

I can't believe that' only a 1 year suspension

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
what wonderful society we've created

he also needs to be thrown in jail for creating a potential fire hazard in that area. You fart the wrong direction at those hills and they ignite.

I can't believe that' only a 1 year suspension
No, it’s a revocation, but those are not for life, so after a year they can start over again and try to earn it back. Suspension is what it means, merely suspended.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
you just quoted me saying suspension :rofl:

like guns, some people have proven they cannot responsibly handle airplanes
Revocation: your cert is taken away. It is not reinstated. What they mean by “apply” again is after one year you can re-train and re-apply for the test to become a pilot again. It’s starting out from zero.
Suspension: your cert is reinstated after suspension time period. Everything remains in place.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Revocation: your cert is taken away. It is not reinstated. What they mean by “apply” again is after one year you can re-train and re-apply for the test to become a pilot again. It’s starting out from zero.
Suspension: your cert is reinstated after suspension time period. Everything remains in place.
I thought were concurring that it was effectively a 'suspension'. Sorry, misunderstood what you were getting at.

I don't know but as a previously licensed pilot, going through the process again is.....easy? Expensive?

I think the most powerful penalty for that mess would be banning him from possessing a gopro or a youtube channel. That would end that nonsense right quick.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.