Quantcast

Shiver on my P1?

Vandal

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Hi I'm new. I have a P1 that I want build into a dj/trail/goofing off on bike. So far I have a 9 speed road cassette on there and I'm pretty sure I want the E13 Single Ring Security system. I have a Magura Julie on the front but I'll probably switch that to a Hope 4.

So here's my question. I'm looking at the Shiver SC fork. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are there advantages to getting an older model used? I've read that the travel of previous years was greater. Not that I need extra travel since the rear won't give at all anyway.

My friend has a P.2 W/ the shiver SC and personally I don't really like it. They're way too soft and seem to flex much more than other SC's. I'm sure if you put stiffer springs in it it would be better, but I just think there are much better options out there.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I cracked the fork my P1 came with so I put my SC shiver on it, took it for a street ride yesterday and it is way too soft and has too much travel for my liking. It would be good for trails though.

P.S. the fork is for sale

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
I second the soft issue. I run mine with extra heavy springs and it's great. It's also the '04, so the travel is 100mm. This must really help with the "flex" issues that poeple are always bitching about, cause I've never had any with this fork. It rode well on my P1, but it is a bit heavy for a 100mm fork. I don't ride it for the street anymore, but that's just cause I'm building a trail bike that I'm going to put it on. it actually worked very well for street riding.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
The only thing i know about them is from that pic in dirt rag a few years ago of that guy on a sinister (?) hartail with a shiver sc on it destroying an 18 foot drop off a billboard, Ive respected them since then, plus they look badass on hartails

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
speaking of p.1 upgrades, i just put in the order for a new set of holy rollers and will get them in about 2 weeks, and soon im getting a dj3

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Lets not get started on my P.1 After a month of waiting for it to be ordered, it is finally ordered on 3/7 and it just got here today. And I ordered an A1, and in the box is a P.1 Chromo. Guess I will be waiting another week or two, hopefully not a month.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea I know, but if it is ordered on Monday it should be here by Thursday. So no worries. Anyways the weather sucks so there isnt much place to ride it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
dirtjumpP.1 said:
some bikes are ok, and others are made for it... like these

To me those are Shore bikes, not DJ or street. But hey ride what you like where you like. I ain't gonna stop ya.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I run my Revell 250R with DJ3s @ 80mm - The older ones pre fat stantions - they're lighter. I pump em up pretty good. I used to use more 'complex' forks like DJ1s and Psylo SLs but for DJ I essentially want a tiny bit of damping and the sting out of harsh landings - I don't want my energy/flow removed by damping. DJ3s are pretty much just a lightly damped spring which IMO is great for DJ. You can preload (pump) it if needs be for a greater takeoff and overall it's closer to a rigid fork feel. A lot of smooth guys are going back to rigid now. Onza make some great rigid DJ forks. BTW I have a BMX background if you're wondering. :)

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
A kid I ride with has one of them on his P2. The thing 's heavey as all hell but takes anything. Ive seen him do 12 foot drops and monster gaps like nothing . Only thing is he cant get any flow or pump through rythym sections making them all but impossible

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
escapeartist said:
The only thing i know about them is from that pic in dirt rag a few years ago of that guy on a sinister (?) hartail with a shiver sc on it destroying an 18 foot drop off a billboard, Ive respected them since then, plus they look badass on hartails
i remember that pic! i was blown away by that billboard drop.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
back to the hubs, I am interested as well, I heard somewhere that there are little nuts you put on your axle that make it 20mm and they screw on with an allen wrench to fit the fork. I am getting a dj1 on my p2. btw, My super t pro has a lock nut and bolt that i put in place of the qr, i recommend do ing it to your dj.

britinmtb

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
kent
You Are Stupid Shivers On A P-1 That Fork Weighs 8 Pounds Everything You Hit Your Going To Nose Dive. My Buddie Has One On A Azonic Hard Tail It Was The Worst Thing For It. If You Have To Go Tripple Clamp Go Jr T With Stiffer Springs. At Least There Light And Not A Tank. But A Good Pair Of Shermans Or Even The 66rc. Plus If You Put A Tripple On A P-1 You Loose The Whole Purpose Of The Bike It Is Made To Ride And Glide ( I Dont Like The Bike) But If Your Going To Do It Do It Right