Quantcast

Shock advice for a V10 Carbon? considering a rc4 or CCDB.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hi I'm looking for some advice on a rear shock for a v10 carbon.

I currently have a vivid on it. I want to try another shock.
I go on a few MTB trips during the summer so I plan to use the vivid
as a spare.

I am considering a rc4 or a Cane Creek, I'm in Ireland so servicing elkas and other shocks are not really practical. I can get a CC or a RC4 for a decent price anyway.
I'm really thinking of the rc4 at this time, I think its easier to tune for me.. but also I read somewhere that the rc4 is a good compliment to the v10 ... something about the rc4 being a progressive shock?

This is something I think I would like. I would like the shock to ramp up at the end a bit more, I dont find this with the vivid at all.

Can anyone add a bit of experience / advice regarding the rc4 on the v10 carbon?

carboncopy

Chimp
Nov 6, 2011
i was debating the exact same thing, i went with the RC4 on my v10c

i've found the bike is very progressive, more than i'de like actually. I've got the boost vavle pressure at 130psi which is the minimum, and the air chamber is all the way out. im at 30% sag with a 400 or 450 spring, and 195 geared up to ride.

i ride pretty hard, and i almost never bottom the thing out, that i can tell at least so progressiveness is definitally not an issue with the rc4.

i'de probably pick the CC now if i had the choice, but i would not be having fun trying to set that up, i find the RC4 difficult enough to feel good.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
i was debating the exact same thing, i went with the RC4 on my v10c

i've found the bike is very progressive, more than i'de like actually. I've got the boost vavle pressure at 130psi which is the minimum, and the air chamber is all the way out. im at 30% sag with a 400 or 450 spring, and 195 geared up to ride.

i ride pretty hard, and i almost never bottom the thing out, that i can tell at least so progressiveness is definitally not an issue with the rc4.

i'de probably pick the CC now if i had the choice, but i would not be having fun trying to set that up, i find the RC4 difficult enough to feel good.
isn't the point of the v10 to run 40% of sag?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
no no, I think he's right, I'm pretty sure the bike is built around 35-40% sag. Lelandjt probably runs ~20-30%, because he's actually a pro and rides chunky lines hard enough to kill everything if he doesn't, but for most people, I think ~35-40% is the normal setup.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
The V10 is indeed designed to have a decent amount of sag. If you want to run a lot of sag, then maybe the RC4 would be beneficial. The V10's ratio has never been super linear, and when the bike was designed the team was riding Vivids. The RC4 is very progressive as far as coils go, and if you're worried about it being a problem on your V10 then I would just buy a Vivid from Push, which comes out to about the same price. I have an RC4 on my Nomad Carbon with a Push link and love it, but it may not be the best for your bike.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
The V10's ratio has never been super linear,.
What does linear mean to people? Technically, it means a straight line that could point in any direction (up, down or flat). But I've never been clear what cyclists and/or DHers are referring to when they say the shock rate is linear.
I'm serious here, no attitude implied.
My assumption has been that most people refer to "linear" as meaning a rising rate, but does it also mean a constantly rising rate? It seems like a blanket term that is unclear what the true meaning is.

For the record on V10 sag:
we recommend 30-38% sag based on shaft travel. Since the leverage rate is very high at the beginning of the stroke (because the bike is so linear...), that translates to 40%+ of wheel travel. But sag on bicycles is typically measured in shock stroke due to ease of measurement. its also one of the reasons why the static BB height is higher on a V10, but trying to published "sagged-in" geometry tables is a pandora's box and would be open to misunderstanding if not universally adopted.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What does linear mean to people? Technically, it means a straight line that could point in any direction (up, down or flat). But I've never been clear what cyclists and/or DHers are referring to when they say the shock rate is linear.
I'm serious here, no attitude implied.
My assumption has been that most people refer to "linear" as meaning a rising rate, but does it also mean a constantly rising rate? It seems like a blanket term that is unclear what the true meaning is.
Linear should IMO be taken to refer to a constant leverage ratio throughout the travel. This results in a wheel force vs displacement curve (for the spring) that is a straight line, and for speed sensitive dampers, the same damping response anywhere in the travel. Any variation in the leverage ratio (ie a leverage rate that is "non-linear") won't generate these two characteristics.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I've seen a Pushed Vivid Air with Hi/Lo compression knobs.
If it were a coil, then it would be team option and has been 'temporarily out of stock' for about a year, and I was told at one point that it isnt certain to return. They dont currently work on the Vivid Air so it looks like you spotted an 'inside job'

I wish they'd at least hide the option/pic on the site and stop taunting me!! :p

Last edited: