Quantcast

Shock preference? DPX2 vs. Float X? Other?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Was it worse than the stock tune at all? They do say the lever changes become a lot more subtle in the documentation, but I don't use my lockout anyway so I'm not too worried.
It was 'better' but not by huge margins. When I installed the shock and went riding, I had to really think about how the suspension was working and what the improvements were.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Got 2 ccdb coils on 2 of the bikes and your avalanche on the m9...won't be doing air on rear any time soon (or until I get a screaming deal on latest and greatest)...
I'm going to try a Kitsuma air on the Process X instead of the DPX2. Waiting for a day when I'm free and clear to go!

Regarding the original question, the DPX2 is a cool little shock providing you have the right volume spacer BUT when things get rough, I felt like it got a little overwhelmed if that makes sense.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm going to try a Kitsuma air on the Process X instead of the DPX2. Waiting for a day when I'm free and clear to go!

Regarding the original question, the DPX2 is a cool little shock providing you have the right volume spacer BUT when things get rough, I felt like it got a little overwhelmed if that makes sense.
Yeah the kitsuma has my interest as well...be curious to see how it goes...when you grab one let me know...I'm sure you will have it before I do...I am still aquiring parts to do the conversion like you did on your ccdb. That has to be one of the best looking shocks I've seen. 9.5 with CS!!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You don't need that crazy tool Fox pushes for the VVC adjustment, just set it so there is slight drag on the wings when it is torqued down.

Yeah they are using a small @$$ quad rings on bulk head Internally, 1/2 the thickness of outside quads...which makes no sense since it's seeing force from both sides...ifp and air chamber then pressure from cycling it...

All the other ones have larger quads and barely see them come in with cross contamination, once in a while and ifp seals give out periodically but the x2 float is mostly service do to cavitation not just annual service.

I wanted the tool anywase this just justified buying it, I can align with socket and preload for minimal drag for rebound assembly rod you are correct...but the tool looks cool and I'll write it off...lol

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah they are using a small @$$ quad rings on bulk head Internally, 1/2 the thickness of outside quads...which makes no sense since it's seeing force from both sides...ifp and air chamber then pressure from cycling it...

All the other ones have larger quads and barely see them come in with cross contamination, once in a while and ifp seals give out periodically but the x2 float is mostly service do to cavitation not just annual service.

I wanted the tool anywase this just justified buying it, I can align with socket and preload for minimal drag for rebound assembly rod you are correct...but the tool looks cool and I'll write it off...lol
Have you fixed it with different seals?

Did you buy that tiny torque wrench too?

You think you have any air loss when charging the ifp with that adapter? I put a schrader valve on one.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Have you fixed it with different seals?

Did you buy that tiny torque wrench too?

You think you have any air loss when charging the ifp with that adapter? I put a schrader valve on one.
No loss i take it to 155 if it's 150 on nitrogen. I've reconnected to see where I am at and it's almost always spot on (couple psi over)...it allows for the tiny blip I have a no loss constant pressure Schrader on the filler so it's under load while undoing it...
Torque tool: no I wanted too but I have a buddy who is a machinist he has a few they use on the aerospace stuff..he's got one for me.

Can't do different seals it's limited in it's cutaway and slider rings are tight...they made it half again shallower and narrower....being it has a large can and is designed for abuse I'd have thought that is the one place to keep a larger sealing surface...
All the dpx2 and other air set ups use a larger quad ring there and have a better interface with contact seal...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@bullcrew and @Redwood Mulch Chucker Thanks guys! I have all 3 adapters.
I’ll try that o-ring.

I run higher ifp pressure too. They seem to last a tiny bit longer with a lil more. I put a performance piston in one to try it without vvc and it is nice. I do need to firm up the rebound a bit more to get more range on the adjuster though.

@bullcrew I like watching you create your business. Super cool!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@bullcrew
If you need bleeding adapters and don't mind ordering from Russia, this guy build a set that seems quite popular:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Though the damper has been fine, my '21 float X2 doesn't like to hold air. Whatever bit of rubber in there is failing, appears to have a 6 month lifespan; about to send it back for the 3rd warranty (assuming they honor) service in 18 mos...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@bullcrew
If you need bleeding adapters and don't mind ordering from Russia, this guy build a set that seems quite popular:
I've got all the bleed adapters lol...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Nope...I do have a vaccume bleeder though. They are easy with glove technique..actually prefer the method it's faster and I can get all the air out .
The shocks that were blown weren't rebuilt they were less than 4 months old...I haven't had any issues In any of the shocks I've done and it's ALOT...Did have one that managed to hide some air behind the circuits in head...so I vaccum bled it and no issue..I pulled the adjusters out and even soaked em.up as well as filled cavity with oil to eliminate hiding spots...always works but this one was dying to be vaccum bled apparently.
So your procedure is something like filling the res and body, doing the glove thing, then installing the ifp, then overfilling the body and inserting the sealhead/shaft assembly, then setting ifp depth?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So your procedure is something like filling the res and body, doing the glove thing, then installing the ifp, then overfilling the body and inserting the sealhead/shaft assembly, then setting ifp depth?
If not using the vaccum yes...
There's a couple more steps to assure no air behind adjusters in head but that's because I don't trust that air won't find a spot to hide.

They come to me with cavitation, the ones I've seen havsmt been serviced before And not old in a few of the cases..I have another one coming Monday same thing. His is 3 months old..

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Cue clue
Fact is,
Poppet style hs is stupid IMO
Particularly on a twin tube.
As is a main piston shimmed in such a manner that it operates primarily as a solid piston
These are characteristics of a <2021 x2 and a ccdb

The 2022 is x2 is a shit sandwich for its air in damper but the layout is preferable..
And similar to an ohlins, aside from the vvc, and the vvc mechanism forcing an alternate location for the lsr

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Please stop saying cavitation.

These shocks aren't cavitating, the oil is getting aerated. Air migrates from the air spring into the damper and aerates the oil.

As for replacing the -022 PU90 o-ring that's on the outside of the bearing assembly (damper sealhead), I'd suggest 85 or 90 durometer Viton/FKM as a substitute.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

These shocks aren't cavitating, the oil is getting aerated. Air migrates from the air spring into the damper and aerates the oil.

As for replacing the -022 PU90 o-ring that's on the outside of the bearing assembly (damper sealhead), I'd suggest 85 or 90 durometer Viton/FKM as a substitute.
I opened a 2021 X2 yesterday that was insane!

After letting IFP pressure out, IFP was jammed up against the cap so hard I couldn't get the cap to budge a mm.
Cracked the bleed screw and it was like an oil rig gusher! There had to be well over 100 psi of air in the damper, covered me and the bench in oil...... :thumbsdown:

Goes along with the theory of air coming in from the can as the rider was running over 180 psi.
The last one that did this same thing had much less pressure inside and the rider was only running 110 psi.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

What about the coil version?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All of this is making me seriously consider something other than RS & Fox.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@buckoW yes coil is fine I have only serviced a couple that we're over do and were solid...no cross contamination (had no CAVITATION going on)

Sorry had too...

Others may have seen some issues with coil but I don't see that very often...did get one in it was on a trunion mount and shaft flex took out the front seal...but that was advised against before he did it.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
@buckoW yes coil is fine I have only serviced a couple that we're over do and were solid...no cross contamination (had no CAVITATION going on)

Sorry had too...

Others may have seen some issues with coil but I don't see that very often...did get one in it was on a trunion mount and shaft flex took out the front seal...but that was advised against before he did it.
I had an x2 performance series coil leak on my friends Commencial supreme about a month after he got it.

I didn't have the seal but I did have the poly oring used in the float x2.

Dropped it in the night before his big week long bike trip and away he went. Lasted untill he replaced the shock with an ext

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I had an x2 performance series coil leak on my friends Commencial supreme about a month after he got it.

I didn't have the seal but I did have the poly oring used in the float x2.

Dropped it in the night before his big week long bike trip and away he went. Lasted untill he replaced the shock with an ext
Yeah I just haven't seen alot of the coils come across the bench...I know several riding them no issues. Me I have a woody on one and ccdb on other 2...no issues at all...