Quantcast

shock squeaking

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My rear Fox shock is squeaking. How do I lube the shock so it does not squeak? I have not lubed it because I don't want to end up hurting the shock with the wrong lube.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
the rear shock on my mongoose w/ the defective shifters had that problem too, was gonna ask people here but never got around to doing it.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its probably your bushings. Unbolt it and clean those out and apply fresh grease like Slick Honey. If its the air shock, let all the air out and unscrew the airsleeve. Clean all that stuff up and regrease with Slick Honey. www.foxracingshox.com has maintenance videos. The damper cannot be done at home unless you have the means to re pressurize the damper with Nitrogen.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
particularly when running too much preload, the spring rubs on the shock body and makes noise. It's nothing to worry about.

The shock bushings should NOT be lubed, they are self-lubricating bushings. Lubing those will attract dirt which will cause excessive wear.

The rest of the shock either doesn't need lube or lubes itself (all the internals are in oil).

Check things like pivots and other possible noise sources, even something like the seat bolt. Check all bolts.