Quantcast

Short 27.2 dropper help required.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I am after a dropper seat post for the better half but could really do with some help. With her seat all the way up from the middle of the rails to the top of the seat tube it's only a little over 6 inches. To make things even more difficult her bike takes a 27.2 seatpost. So we are a little limited on options. We also live in the UK these days so it makes some of the options very costly. So far I have found these.

X-Fusion HiLo 100. Its got a 100mm(4inch) of drop and is a perfect length. But in the UK these are £200 ($345) and I don't know if there actually any good?

KS Lev that have 100mm (4inch) drop. But I have no idea how tall they are? They also cost a massive £330 ($565) in the UK.

Gravity Dropper that can be custom built to the correct length. But they look quite tall for a given drop so I suspect she may only end up with 2 or 3 inches of drop. I would also have to import it to the UK so after postage and UK import tax we are looking at about £265 ($452)

Tmars. These are actually to long but have 3 positions and I am guessing she could just use the two lowest setting. This would give effectively a 2 inch drop. Not ideal but these cost only £45.50 (£78) I don't know if this makes it incredible value or is it just really cheap and nasty?

If any one can share there thoughts on the above posts or recommend a alternative it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I owned a HiLo 100 for an old frame which used a 27.2 post.

Pros: It fit the frame.
Cons: My first gen post worked well, but the seat clamp sucked. That has been improved on the current model. The cable routing for the remote kinda sucked as well, but that seems to be improved too.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Did you check Raleigh's Plummet? I believe it ticks all the boxes. It's actually a rebranded Satori Sorata, but so far I've just heard good things about it. Plus it has a fixed remote cable entry.

I was actually thinking of getting one of those, since my Prophet takes just 27.2 seatposts. Let me know hot it worked for you in case you decide to drop the money on it.

EDIT: I'd stay away of the TMARS one. There are plenty of comments on Singletrack telling how bad it locks up with mud or dirt. And it develops lateral play pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for the replies. The X-Fusion HiLo is sounding a bit so so there Nick. I guess the real question is would you get one again if you had a 27.2 frame?

I had not seen that one slimshady thanks for the link. It's looking a bit long but I have send over a enquiry to them anyhow and we will see what they have to say. At the price it could be worth a pop.

I was just reading about the Tmars. There are plenty of bad posts. Most are saying it gets a bit of play after 6 months to a year if its used a lot. I see that they appear to seize if not cleaned as well. But then at £45 its only a seventh of the price of some of the other options. I guess at the price it would be just throw it away and replace it if it gets to bad.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thanks for the replies. The X-Fusion HiLo is sounding a bit so so there Nick. I guess the real question is would you get one again if you had a 27.2 frame?
Yes, I would. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
The only two things I could find fault with have been improved / corrected since my 1st gen model.