Quantcast

shorter shock=lower and slacker or a bad idea?

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I've got an old school bullit that I bought new in 2002. I'm still thrashing it with the original 5th Element.

I moved to a different area, started riding different trails and started racing the CCCX DH series. The courses are more like Super D courses, not really technical, lots of pedaling.

At this time it would be appropriate to mention that I have NO CLUE about how to set up the 5th element. None.

I'm thinking about changing shocks to a DHX. Like a 3 maybe or a 5. While I'm at it I was thinking about using a shock that is about half an inch shorter with half an inch less stroke to bring the bb down and slacken the head angle.

Anyone done this? Bad idea? Good idea? Works great?

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
I did this on my Yakuza Ojiki because it came with a crazy wierd size, 9x2.75, and I put a ROCO on that is 8.75x2.75. I made sure to check the clearance though by compressing the new shock all the way without the spring. I ended up having plenty of room. Doing this alone brought my bottom bracket from about 14.5ish down to just sub 14 and slackened the head angle from about 68* to 66*. The bike feels a lot better.

Definitely worth it if you have enough clearance and in your case don't mind losing travel. Though just to warn you depending on how much lower your bike will be sitting, your chainstay length will also increase some, because your basically having the bike sit into the travel a bit. But it didn't matter to me so its up to you. Try borrowing someone's shock and testing the fitment out if you can.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the original bullits had a 7.875x2.25in stroke shock to get 6in of travel, they also had a bent seat tube for tire clearance. your 5th is 8.5x2.5in stroke. run a smaller rear tire if you need to or run it in the steeper position which isn't what you really want. anyways I would go for it, I had an older one and with a 6in fork it felt really good.