Quantcast

Should I get a Hummer?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And if you've never really driven offroad, apparently you think you need to get it :rofl:
The fact anyone takes this thread seriously is what's funny.

I drive an '85 Toyota with posi diffs and 5.29 gears. I have gone off road a few times.

<edit>

My truck has travel. It has since been reworked with taller shackles and longer shocks, so it gets a bit more articulation now.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
That first one is my dream vehicle.
I highly recommend checking out their site. They have about 40 pre-designed plans and options to set it up any way you like. They have some SWEET options and can do the 4x4 conversion theirselves. The Earthroamers are awesome too. Check out the earthroamer website.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
A real Humvee (not a hummer) is an awsome off road machine!

but if you really want to spend a lot on a suv, that will do well on and off road, get a used mercedes G-class or M-class.......while normally used by soccer moms or pimps, they are actually time tested off road machines (nothing extreme of course) but they dont break, and will get u through some pretty rough stuff..................more than an H3 will at least.......

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the H1 was a great off-road vehicle....for a tank
If you know how to drive, an H1 does quite well off road. I have an M998 license and we used to take them up to Browns Camp OHV area all the time. They are heavy and a bit on the wide side, but the clearance and gearing make them able to climb up and over most anything.

Jackasses that can't drive will make any vehicle look bad.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I drove the M998's and 996's back in the army. HMMWV = high mobility multi wheeled vehicle. We had competitions to see who could find a way wo get it stuck.. (muddy snow works best). Those were unstoppable especially in the turbo diesel version running on jet fuel.

If you ever have a chance to get an older/decomisisoned HMMWV (aka Humvee), then get it. The civilian models are seriously underpowered. The H2 and H3 are jokes.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Why go with something semi-big like the Hummer, when you could go with something WAY over the top like a Chevy Silverado with a 12" lift and 40's!

Required dresscode:

-Fox zip-up hoodie
-DVS Shoes (complete with black mid-high socks)
-Dickies shorts
-Famous Stars and Straps hat (w/ bill left completely flat for that excellent "flat biller" style)
-Some sort of Black Flys/Spy/Arnette style glasses
-Nautical star tattoos on your elbows
Hmmm.... 3 out of 6....

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hummer in SF doesn't make the statement you're looking for. I'd suggest purchasing a Subaru Baja and learning to resent all laughter.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
If you know how to drive, an H1 does quite well off road. I have an M998 license and we used to take them up to Browns Camp OHV area all the time. They are heavy and a bit on the wide side, but the clearance and gearing make them able to climb up and over most anything.

Jackasses that can't drive will make any vehicle look bad.
oh yeah i agree..and H1 is fantastic offroad..i was just saying its ginormous. ive seen some H1's do some unreal off roading with a good driver behind the wheel.
whats the difference b/w the 998's and 996's again? the A2's are uparmored right?

rid3HB

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
ya no offence to anyone here but screw hummers and jeeps. its all about landies. disco d1s rock, along with defenders, classic range rovers (think wider bodied early 90s ones), and the new rr sport is supposed to be amazing offroad.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have never personally driven the Humvee/H1 off road, on road yes!
I can see with its clearance etc. how capable it would be.

H2 and H3 (although I usually don't go blurting out that I have driven them) I can say, that I have driven both on and off road. I can say that I have driven IH scouts, Jeeps, and Toyota pickups all that were stock or with mild mods that were more capable off road!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
ya no offence to anyone here but screw hummers and jeeps. its all about landies. disco d1s rock, along with defenders, classic range rovers (think wider bodied early 90s ones), and the new rr sport is supposed to be amazing offroad.
My friend still owns several of the 60's&70's era RR's a few 88"s and some others. I dig them bigtime! specially cause they are simple and easy to work on.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
oh yeah i agree..and H1 is fantastic offroad..i was just saying its ginormous. ive seen some H1's do some unreal off roading with a good driver behind the wheel.
whats the difference b/w the 998's and 996's again? the A2's are uparmored right?
by uparmored, I assume you're talking about the kevlar floor mats.

The 998's were soft skin, 996's were hard skin. Personally liked the 998's better cuz they were more agile off road (not as heavy)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Why go with something semi-big like the Hummer, when you could go with something WAY over the top like a Chevy Silverado with a 12" lift and 40's!

Required dresscode:

-Fox zip-up hoodie
-DVS Shoes (complete with black mid-high socks)
-Dickies shorts
-Famous Stars and Straps hat (w/ bill left completely flat for that excellent "flat biller" style)
-Some sort of Black Flys/Spy/Arnette style glasses
-Nautical star tattoos on your elbows
I thought Stoney98 liked Subies. :think:

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
by uparmored, I assume you're talking about the kevlar floor mats.

The 998's were soft skin, 996's were hard skin. Personally liked the 998's better cuz they were more agile off road (not as heavy)
well i thought with the armor package it added 2000+lbs of armor on it like 200lb doors, ballistic windows and steel plates under the cab.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've driven all of them. H1, 2 H2s, and an H3. All on and offroad. They all suck. The only high-priced 4x4 that sucks more is the Range Rover.
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. Have you actually driven the Range Rover offroad, with a set of decent tires on it? I've spent plenty of time in the full size RR, the RRS and the LR3 offroad and they are by far the most capable 4x4 out there off the showroom floor. Sure a Jeep Wrangler does better once you lift it, slap some 34s and lockers on it, but that's not really a fair comparison.

As soon as the snow melts this comming spring we have a couple LR3s, 2 Range Rover Sports and a full size Range Rover lined up to hit the Rubicon. We don't want to mess with it once everybody and their brother has come through and stacked rocks all over the place, we're hitting it at it's worst, in stock rigs on AT tires, only mods are sliders and winches. Of course I'll be pre-running in the Discovery to get the best photo-ops.

As for Hummers, the H1 was good, too big for most trails, but could hold it's own on the trails it does fit on. The problem is it has a propencity to break important driveline parts, and is impossible to service in the feild, that's why the US special forces drive Defenders. There is no Army feild repair manual for the H1, just a guide on how to dismantle it so the enemy can't use them. The H2 is just a big old turd-tastic tribute to everything wrong with the American auto industry, poor visibility, woefully under-speced parts for a vehical that weight, poor quality controll, though it is kinda decent on the trail, untill something snaps. The H3 is a better truck than the H2, and does okay on Jeep trails and fire-roads, never seen one on a real hard-core trail so I can't tell you how it would work, but I can tell you that I would never drive one though the desert in Baja, nor would I take any Hummer through Baja.

Sanjuro, I would get a Subie wagon, it doesn't sound like you really want to go off-road, just on a rough-ish roadand the occaisional fire road, you don't need a Hummer, Jeep, Rover, Yota, ect.

Like other people have already said, if it's offroad you want get a jeep - way more manuverable offraod. I think the H3 is based off the trailblazer frame and the H2 off the Tahoe frame?? Both are better then over paying for a hummer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
As soon as the snow melts this comming spring we have a couple LR3s, 2 Range Rover Sports and a full size Range Rover lined up to hit the Rubicon. We don't want to mess with it once everybody and their brother has come through and stacked rocks all over the place, we're hitting it at it's worst, in stock rigs on AT tires, only mods are sliders and winches. Of course I'll be pre-running in the Discovery to get the best photo-ops.

You've got to be kidding? I don't think there is a stock vehicle out there that could make it through the rubicon without some serious aid. Doing it in a stock LR3 would be a $50000 comedy. Please, take some videos for us.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
DON"T GET ONE. Terrible gas mileage, always break down, hippies will hate you because they are so incredibly non eco-friendly. They suck.