Quantcast

Should I go SS?

What do you think about singlespeeds for freeriding?

• I love it!

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • It's not bad.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I've never tried it.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am thinking about building up a hardtail, and I can't decide whether or not to go singlespeed. I'll be using it for freeriding and dirt jumping, and almost nothing else. How many of you freeride with a single speed, and how do you like it?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i went single speed about a week ago, but used to run single speed on the planet x bommer (that i won here on rm in a raffle! go RM.). anyway, it's fun around the city, and wasn't holding me back at all riding last weekend at post canyon, which is a fine example of a wannabe canadian stunt trail. note that being "wannabe canadian" is a GOOD thing in my book. :D

if you have to climb you'll have to make some sacrifices in your gear ratio, but as long as you're content on pushing up the long hills, if there are any, that is, then single speed is wonderful. no derailleur. no clanking chain. just the ride.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
its sweet for unrab and dirt jumping, but ur bike will have to be setup different if u wanna do trails on it as well. id die after 5 minutes if i rode my urban ss and a xc bike :dead:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I've used it for dj and street for about two years now. My friend just set it up on his only bike(dj,freeride,urban) he rode it at jiminy peak on sunday and i don't think he'll ever go back.

I want a 7 and 7 single speed. :think: that would be the best.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I'm all for ss in terms of simplicity and lack of noise/hassle (I hate my derallieur), but it all depends on the trails you are riding. If you mostly shuttle, then I don't think you'll have to many problems. Good luck.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I should be more specific. The freeride trails I ride are pretty flat, with stunts and jumps along the way. I already have a downhill bike, so I won't be using this bike for any shuttle runs.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
I've been rocking the SS for 2 years now with no regrets, I ride it far more often than any other bike in my stable. Granted it sucks balls for climbing, but once you get over that (or get stronger) you'll never go back.

Less noise, less maintenance, you'll always know what gear you're in, no ghost shifting and it's just plain fun. I keep 2 or more forks (rigid, Boxxer Team and very occasionally a DJII or Fox Vanilla RL) handy with wheels built and make the 3 minute changeover when required.

Went on a ride with 2 other SS'ers last night, ripping this DH trail and passed a bunch of fully riders like they were standing still. As I came by (the slowest of the bunch of course) the guys were scratching their heads saying "WTF, those guys were on hardtails - did you see that?!?"

I should throw up a disclaimer of course. After a full day of shuttling on the SS hardtail, I'm much more tired than any of the dudes rocking the big fullys. There's some benefits to having some squish and a bailout gear!