Quantcast

Should I join the Navy SEALs?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jayridesacove said:
Oh, I'm not doubting the Seebees combat heratige. They're just like any other deployable unit that just does their regular job routine when they're back in the rear not currently deployed.
Ah.. I understand.

Yes, when back at homeport, NMCB's take construction skills classes, build projects, take combat skills classes and go on a FEX. SeaBees are typically not tatical combat troops they just travel a couple hours behind them.

Interesting reading (to me at least): http://www.seabeesinfohq.org/news.htm

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sandwich said:
Whoa guys, let me answer some questions or comments:

First off- It's not like I'm uneducated. I know very well what I'd be getting into. I'm aware of hell week, the three phases, cold weather training, etc. What I'm asking is if anyone else has experience with something along these lines....
I've seen that Discovery series too, and it doesn't scare me as much as it appeals to me. Is that scary?
First off, you're welcome. Lots of us put effort into replying honestly; would you rather everyone just said, "Hey, that's badass! Do it! You're a stud!"

Second, seeing a movie on the discovery channel and feeling a tingle in your nuts is far different from actually making it through buds. I'm not saying you're not going to make it...I don't know you and I haven't done the training myself...but the gist of all our advice, coming from those with experience (not buds in my case) is that you need to plan for your worst-case scenario. Again, it might not even be your fault you don't make it through buds. Bad things happen to good people all the time. Good on you for the desire; better on you if you plan with foresight.

Those of us who don't have experience with buds do have experience in the way things work in the military, and we're just trying to keep you on a path that has the best chances of meeting your goals.

Third, your idea of what daily life in the military is like may be very skewed. You might find cleaning glassware as a research assistant to better for your ego and sense of self-worth at times, especially if you end up as a grunt. Not saying there aren't cool moments, but there's a lot of time spent being a basically a day laborer...you may find your compatriots either resent your level of education or you simply don't have a lot in common with 17 year old rednecks...you may find that being under the command of a guy younger than you with little or no experience to be grating.

Given your level of experience, I'd frankly recommend joining the Army as an infantry officer, getting to a ranger battalion, and then trying to get to S/F or Delta, if the army allows officer accession with a chosen MOS (no personal experience with it, but I recommend exploring it). My first thought was to recommend Marine infantry officer with a later move to Recon or Force Recon, but when you become a Marine officer, you won't neccesarily get the job you want; there's a screwed-up lottery system for that. And I don't think you'd like the possibility of becoming an admin officer against your will.

Just my 2 cents. But hey, maybe going against chance with supreme confidence is a trait of a SEAL...I hedge my bets a little more, perhaps why I was only a jarheaded grunt.

MD

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
http://www.seal.navy.mil/seal/tra_nswc.asp

ENLISTMENT
Once you have successfully taken the ASVAB, selected a SEAL Source Rate, and stated your progressive physical conditioning program, you will be ready to sign your SEAL Challenge Contract and enlist into the United States Navy.

BOOT CAMP
Your first assignment in the Navy will be boot camp at NTC Great Lakes. For many new sailors, boot camp will seem like the ultimate physical challenge. For prospective BUD/S trainees, boot camp is merely a warm-up for the intense training ahead.

Make the most of your time in boot camp. Learn everything you can, excel in every way possible. Your leadership role begins now. For more information, visit the Naval Training Center Great Lakes (Navy Boot Camp) web site at https://www.ntcgl.navy.mil

"A" SCHOOL

Navy "A" School is where you learn the basic skills associated with your rate. Continue to work hard and demonstrate leadership qualities. Be sure to continue your physical training. Upon successful completion of "A" School (and the Physical Screening Test or PST) you are bound for BUD/S.

You must be in peak physical condition to meet the BUD/S challenge. If your "A" School is located in the vicinity of RTC Great Lakes, Illinois; NAB Little Creek, Virginia; or San Diego, California check in with the SEAL Motivators. You are required to take the PST 30 days before transferring to BUD/S.

Naval Special Warfare Center - Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) Training

SEAL training is extremely demanding, both mentally and physically, and produces the world’s best maritime warriors. Our focus during this training is based on three core pillars:

Men of Character: The nature of our mission requires men who will uphold the Navy Core Values - Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

Physical: The nature of our mission also requires men who are physically fit and capable in every environment, especially the water.

Technical: Finally, maritime Special Operations require SEALS who are intelligent and can quickly learn new tasks.

Naval Special Warfare Training - Following basic training at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, IL, and basic rating training, you will begin Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) Training in Coronado, CA. This six-month course of instruction will focus on physical conditioning, small boat handling, diving physics, basic diving techniques, land warfare, weapons, demolitions, communications, and reconnaissance.

First Phase (Basic Conditioning) - 8 weeks - First Phase Trains, develops, and assesses SEAL candidates in physical conditioning, water competency, teamwork, and mental tenacity. This phase is eight weeks long. Physical conditioning with running, swimming, and calisthenics grows harder and harder as the weeks progress. You will participate in weekly four mile timed runs in boots, timed obstacle courses, swim distances up to two miles wearing fins in the ocean, and learn small boat seamanship.

The first three weeks of First Phase will prepare you for the fourth week, better known as "Hell Week." During this week, you will participate in five and one-half days of continuous training, with a maximum of four hours sleep total. This week is designed as the ultimate test of one's physical and mental motivation while in First Phase. Hell Week proves to those who make it that the human body can do ten times the amount of work the average man thinks possible. During Hell Week, you will learn the value of cool headedness, perseverance, and above all, TEAMWORK. The remaining four weeks are devoted to teaching various methods of conducting hydrographic surveys and how to create a hydrographic chart.

Second Phase (Diving) - 8 weeks - Diving Phase Trains, develops, and qualifies SEAL candidates as competent basic combat swimmers. This phase is eight weeks long. During this period, physical training continues and becomes even more intensive. Second Phase concentrates on combat SCUBA. You will learn two types of SCUBA: open circuit (compressed air) and closed circuit (100% oxygen). Emphasis is placed on long distance underwater dives with the goal of training students to become basic combat divers, using swimming and diving techniques as a means of transportation from their launch point to their combat objective. This is a skill that separates SEALs from all other Special Operations forces.

Third Phase (Land Warfare) - 9 weeks - Third Phase trains, develops, and qualifies SEAL candidates in basic weapons, demolition, and small unit tactics. This phase of training is nine weeks in length. Physical training continues to become more strenuous as the run distance increases and the minimum passing times are lowered for the runs, swims, and obstacle course. Third Phase concentrates on teaching land navigation, small-unit tactics, patrolling techniques, rappelling, marksmanship, and military explosives. The final three and a half weeks of Third Phase are spent on San Clemente Island, where students apply all the techniques they have acquired during training.

BUD/S Training Timeline:

Indoctrination (5 weeks)
Basic Conditioning (8 weeks)
Diving (8 weeks)
Land Warfare (9 weeks)
Basic Parachute Training (3 weeks)
Receive Naval Special Warfare Classification - (NEC) Code

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
sayndesyn said:
I realize the "glamour" of the Navy SEAL via hollywood movies is why people tend to think of them as the most elite of the elite, but don't look past the AF. If you look at the training attrition stats the Pararescue career field is actually more "elite" and you will be already an accomplished combat medic (during school you serve as a paramedic in inner cities so you can get used to treating gunshot victims), SF certified closed/open circuit scuba diver, halo jumper, etc by the time you graduate from the almost 3 year school. Whereas already pinned SEAL's have to fight to get slots in the HALO school, it is part of the AF Spec Ops pipeline. I guess you have to make the choice whether you prefer your primary mission to be more lethal in nature, or take on the PJ creed "That others may live". Both are highly respected and vital to the SpecOps community, but just because Charlie Scheen isn't in a PJ movie doesn't meen that they aren't at the top. Oh and the AF is much better at taking care of it's troops in terms of pay, living quarters etc. Trust me cause I've taken two joint military classes..
My buddy John was pararescue in Desert Storm... he had som FUHKED UP stories about a particular bad situation he got stuck in.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
re: MikeD

I think you're jumping to conclusions as well. I'm not asking people to say go for it. I think there's a huge difference between a 14 yr old saying "I wanna be a seAl!!!!!1111" and a 22yr old college grad saying "I'm aware of the risks and requirements, but would like advice from other people with similar experiences." I'm not god's gift to the navy, but I do think that I may have a place there.

What were your experiences like the marines? What made you decide to join? What was going through your head as your were training? Did you ever want to quit, and why? What did you do in downtime? When you got out, did you look back and say it was worth it? That it made you a better person, and more ready and prepared to accomplish other things? Did you want to stay? Do you regret joining?

Those are things I want to know, not "can i kill mad towelheads, yo?" I appreciate people's comments, and it is certainly something to consider. I don't want to get stuck someplace I don't want to be, and if I can't make it as one thing, a backup plan is a good idea.

Perhaps not being completely gung-ho is a bad thing, but perhaps knowing your faults and being aware of your limits allows you to improve upon them.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Sandwich said:

I think you're jumping to conclusions as well. I'm not asking people to say go for it. I think there's a huge difference between a 14 yr old saying "I wanna be a seAl!!!!!1111" and a 22yr old college grad saying "I'm aware of the risks and requirements, but would like advice from other people with similar experiences." I'm not god's gift to the navy, but I do think that I may have a place there.

What were your experiences like the marines? What made you decide to join? What was going through your head as your were training? Did you ever want to quit, and why? What did you do in downtime? When you got out, did you look back and say it was worth it? That it made you a better person, and more ready and prepared to accomplish other things? Did you want to stay? Do you regret joining?

Those are things I want to know, not "can i kill mad towelheads, yo?" I appreciate people's comments, and it is certainly something to consider. I don't want to get stuck someplace I don't want to be, and if I can't make it as one thing, a backup plan is a good idea.

Perhaps not being completely gung-ho is a bad thing, but perhaps knowing your faults and being aware of your limits allows you to improve upon them.

Shouldn't you be spending your time running and swimming instead of posting? ;)

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
My experience from the Marine Corps...If I had 20 pages to fully explain everything in detail I would, but I'll do my best to keep it in this little window.

Recruit training - a lot of yelling, running around real fast and watching grown men mentally break down and cry in front of the drill instructors. You learn that doing things fast and by the numbers is the fastest way to getting the drill instructors off your ass - though not always. More yelling. Teamwork is constantly emphasized - something you will definitely encounter in BUDS training. You learn to refer to yourself in the 3rd person. I as in eye is what you see with. You are known as "this recruit" to everyone except the other recruits. If you're not in good physical shape but meet the height and weight standards when you enter training, you will get in shape. Marine Corps recruit training is the most physically and mentally difficult basic training in the Armed Forces. The statistics back when I attented recruit training in 1999 were 1 out of 5 recruits graduate within the 12 week training cycle. I'm pretty sure that the 1 out of 5 still holds true today.

After recruit training - If you don't have an infantry MOS, you will attend MCT (Marine Combat Training) which is like a month long infantry basics course. You get training with the weapon systems that the infantry uses(m203, m249, m240g, mk19), minus the mortar and rocket launcher(AT-4). Land navigation, and a few other training evolutions. If you are in an infantry MOS, you get to goto the School of Infantry which is a longer version of MCT. Depending on where you went to recruit training (San Diego or Parris Island) you either goto Camp Pendleton or Camp Lejune for that training.

Some infantry MOSs get further training after SOI, if you're just a rifleman, you just head straight to your Fleet unit.

Non infantry MOSs goto their follow on training school, then after that they either goto a Fleet or Base unit.

Fleet Marine Force - The Fleet is the section of the Marine Corps that get to deploy and stuff. Within it you have the Air wing, Artillery, Combat support, Landing support, Infantry, and the Navy personnel attached to support us. When you don't deploy (usually around 6 months out of the year) you're at your duty station, training and doing the job you get training for after recruit training. If you are a non-infantry MOS and you get attached to a infantry unit you do all the training that the grunts do. You even get do participate in the ever exciting MCCRE (Marine Corps Combat Readiness Evaluation). One of the tests is the MCCRE forced march or "hump" where you march 25 miles in 8 hours or less with your full combat load. And if you're with or in the infantry, you do lots of training humps throughout the year to prepare for it. Usually like 3-5 miles to start, then 6-8 miles the next week, then like 11-13 the next week, then more and more, till you get to 25 miles, which is usually around testing time.

Base - Being a Base Marine, getting deployed is rare (mostly MPs and the paper pusher admin jobs). You support the tenant commands on the base you're stationed at. With whatever job you do. Like Military Police, Base communications (telephone, network), Base legal, etc. Base is like Disneyland compared to the Fleet.

Marine Corps PT program - depends on the unit, but the guidelines when I left were a minimum of 5 hours a week unit PT. So like Mon, Wed, Fri were running days, 3-6 miles usually. Tues, Thursdays was for the new Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.

Life after work - if you're not deployed and you're back at home(duty station) you work from 0700-1600 or 0730-1430 - usually. After that you get liberty or "libo" you're pretty much free to do whatever you want till the next day.

Duty - Every Marine in a unit has to serve a monthy duty post(up to a certain rank), whether it's in the Bachelor's Enlisted Quarters or at your Command's Headquarters building. Different duties for Officers and Enlisted. Getting put on Duty is fun...especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

*Being deployed - It's fun and it sucks at the same time. And if you're deployed to a designated combat zone, it sucks even more. You end up saving lots of money since you don't have anything to spend it on. Some interesting things I've noticed over the years:
- You quickly learn that logs of dip and cartons cigarettes can be traded for pretty much anything.
- Toilet paper is called "white gold."
- After you been living in a fighting hole for a few days you can start to smell your own stink and that of your buddy.
- You can take a shower using a water bottle and baby wipes.
- If you run out of toilet paper, eat the peanut butter in your rations or M.R.E. (Meal Refusing to Exit)
- If you a new guy or "boot" you will get lots of sh*t duties.
- You will always have a clean shave, regardless of how dirty or smelly you are.
- You will be the brunt of a practical joke. You will commit a practical joke.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
I think it is great that there are still some college grads willing to give the military a chance. I have known a few SEAL's they are of a different breed but not looney as some might want you to believe. First off you better be willing to be VERY VERY cold and wet for long periods of time, and second you better be very comfortabe UNDER the water. You might be the best swimmer in the world but that won't help you when you have to stay under control of your instinct to surface when going through underwater training. The guys I know have been both in Vietnam as river SEALS and the other guys have been in the service since then. They all loved it and there bigest tip was you have to be able to endure COLD, PAIN, and long exposure to both. I wish you the best and just remember "the only easy day was yesterday".

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
What made you decide to join? I was a drugged out college dropout with no real future.
What was going through your head as you were training? I need to move my ass faster.
Did you ever want to quit, and why? No, I had nothing going on back home.
What did you do in downtime? Started mountainbiking, surfing, scuba diving, paintball.
When you got out, did you look back and say it was worth it?
That it made you a better person, and more ready and prepared to accomplish other things? Yes, I'm more goal oriented and focused on what I need to do with my time on earth.
Did you want to stay? No, I used the Marines as a stepping stone in the right direction for me. In turn, the Marines used me for a good 4.5 years.
Do you regret joining? Never.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sandwich said:

That's a tall order...we'd need more than a few beers to get through it all.

Ummm...to sum up, I always wanted to be an fighter pilot and astronaut...when my vision went really ****ty in my teens I knew it was not to be, but kept my interest in the military. Guess it was just always there for me in many respects...wanted to test and prove myself, probably wanted the
accompanying instant identity of being a manly man he-man Marine, etc. Wanted, in a cheesy teenage way, to 'have the insight into life and death and the meaning of it all that only those old guys who've fought in wars have.' I'd even been a US Navy Sea Cadet in my early high school years. Whatever it was, I got an NROTC scholarship for the Marines out of high school and went to UVA and studied art while training to be an officer.

Was a total ROTC nazi, which I sort of regret in a "boy I was an idiot back then" kind of way, but I guess I always had plenty of friends and experiences in the art community and in my studies, so it wasn't so bad. The first 'real' experience I had was with a regular grunt unit at Mountain Warfare Training Center, which sounds scary to a 19 year old midshipman, but really isn't, and it helped my confidence to realize that Marines in general are far from superhuman and I wasn't going to have a hugely hard time in the fleet...plus knowing what the grunts were about was a big plus.

Officer Candidates School was scary, if only due to the prospect of being dropped...mostly due to the shame factor and having to live your life with the utter feeling of failure. It's easy to get kicked out and I had a few scary moments there, but overall it wasn't too bad. Physically it was a real ass-kicker, and I was in pretty good shape at the time. Still not on BUDS' radar, but pretty tough. Never wanted to quit; definitely wanted to get it over with.

Wouldn't feel the same about BUDS. I know the cold and wet would suck it right out of me, and I wouldn't feel the shame of dropping out of it...just not my bag.

Basic School (6 month basic officer training) after that wasn't hard, learned a lot, had fun, let the stupidity and politics roll off my back...Infantry Officers Course definitely scared me going in to it, but wasn't worried that I couldn't handle it, just that I'd do something wrong or stupid or just not like it. Seen plenty of other people make it, and I'm not stupider or weaker than the worst of them...reasoning like that helped me get through OCS, too.

As to experiences in the fleet, well, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Got my first choice in assignment to a light armored reconnaissance battalion. It was a gradual process of disillusionment for sure, on several levels, but taught me a ton along the way. Formed lasting friendships with comrades, officer and enlisted alike, and found it's really true that 10% of the people do 90% of the work. (Don't know which set I fit in, really...guess it depends on who you ask.) Definitely had problems with some of my leadership and several of my peers, definitely had problems with the system...it prevents you from doing your mission (even just maintenance of vehicles) and then wants to know why you're not meeting that mission (why your vehicles aren't running.) Had fun shooting guns and running vehicles, but found there wasn't enough of that stuff compared to a lot of bull**** paperwork, and the training got artificial and repetitive after a while. Didn't feel like I had the resources or freedom to do training the way I wanted to, although in retrospect, I probably made crappy use of what was given me. We had a few high points and a few really cool adventures, but for the most part, I was glad to be done with it when I was, and had no desire to return to the same job at a higher level.

Mostly, it was the babysitting that bothered me. Too many kids who couldn't handle being a teenager who were trying to be adults, getting married in idiotic arrangements, with emotional and family and financial problems...eugh. Can't say whether it'd be better or worse in some ways in an elite unit like the SEALs, but for the most part, you're talking hand-picked people who can probably handle their own affairs...you'd hope.

When I rotated out of the combat unit ("A" billet), I took a position working at a USMC school for medics run by the Navy, being basically a senior Marine advisor and the supply/logistics officer. Totally foreign environment to me, definitely couldn't wait to leave after a year or so there. Paperwork isn't my thing, nor working in the giant disorganized chaotic bureaucracy that makes up a military base. Again, taught me a lot and worked with a lot of cool people, both Navy and Marine. The challenge was working with a senior leadership who had a very different paradigm-much more 'corporate'-and dealing with a technical job I knew nothing about, and for which had no duty experts to manage or help me...very much out on my own. Definitely civilianized me somewhat, in a good way, although the Stephen Covey corporate culture that the Navy tries to bring to the military makes me want to slit my wrists.

Anyhow, that wasn't very informative, sorry...just a big blather. In short, I think the military is a great place to challenge yourself and learn things and people, no question about it. And some people find they don't mind the bull**** parts and stay focused on the good things and the good people, and have a blast and stay in and become great leaders. Others find they have no other options and hang around wasting oxygen. Others just exist as suckup political animals and organizational true-believer juggernauts, and they're the ones who pissed me off quite a bit (with reciprocation, believe me), and many of them will rise to a high level but never be inspiring leaders.

Given that you're 22, I really wouldn't look at enlisting. If you don't end up as a SEAL, you'll just end up surrounded by peers who you can't relate to and who will probably resent you in a way for your greater experience and natural leadership. I'd look at being an Army Ranger officer and subsequent options from there as I recommended earlier.

Or if you are going to enlist, talk to the Marines and see about getting a guaranteed Recon slot out of boot camp. You'll probably make at least basic Recon marine, then have options to move to Force Reconnaissance, which is right on the level with the types of things you'd do as a SEAL. Sniper school, all kinds of combat diving, HALO jumping, CQB, the lot. Commissioning options with the USMC will all run the risk of the MOS lottery...there's a *bit* of bias for you to get a combat arms spot if this is your background, but it's behind the scenes and personality-dependent. In my basic school class, we had former Recon snipers being made into ground intelligence officers, and former mortarmen being made into aviation supply guys.

Again, if you do enlist in the Navy, I think the corpsman rating might be a good move, too. I[nitial] Medical training is ultra-basic, [with the option to get more advanced later], and you'll get the chance to become a Fleet Marine Force corpsman and then maybe go to the recon community from there. If you get into and through BUDS along the way, sweet. Commissioning options in the Navy, though, really are limited in what you can do in a tactical type job. SEAL is about it.

Gotta split,

MD

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Jayridesacove said:
That's because the Air Force sucks out all of the funding for the DOD Budget! They have more money than all the other services.

Compare BEQ on an Air Force Base to the one's on a Marine Corps base.

It's like the Waldorf Astoria compared to the Budget Inn.

And this pay thing...

I don't know where you guys get your numbers from but all Armed forces base pay is the same for all the services. A single E-4 with 4 years service in the Marines, gets the same as an E-4 in any of the other services. To include the time in grade. Obviously this does not count for the married individuals with kids, comrats, etc.

Yes the base pay thing is correct. I never stated otherwise. However I was allowed to move off base as a single E-3 with less than 3 years in, and receive 1200 dollars a month in rent, 300 extra for utilities, 260 extra for BAS (aka food), and then roughly 500 more dollars for the Euro being stronger than the dollar. You do the math. i know E-5's in the army who still live in the barracks and are forced to eat at the chow hall instead of buying your own food. Your life, your money, you decide.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
sayndesyn said:
Yes the base pay thing is correct. I never stated otherwise. However I was allowed to move off base as a single E-3 with less than 3 years in, and receive 1200 dollars a month in rent, 300 extra for utilities, 260 extra for BAS (aka food), and then roughly 500 more dollars for the Euro being stronger than the dollar. You do the math. i know E-5's in the army who still live in the barracks and are forced to eat at the chow hall instead of buying your own food. Your life, your money, you decide.
My sergeants were living 3 to a room in the BEQ, with less space than is supposed to be allotted to a private, and their applications for BAH were denied...

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Or if you are going to enlist, talk to the Marines and see about getting a guaranteed Recon slot out of boot camp.
Technically, that's not true, because after recruit training and ITB, the Marine would still need to pass the indoc for their training slot.

yeah I know it isn't fair. It is true that the AF is more concerned with "quality of life" and facilities than any other service. They tend to focus more on supporting the mission. Odd how different branches are...
Yea, it's like night and day. This is the Marine Corps.

1. Mission accomplishment.
2. Troop welfare.

So, if you don't finish #1, no one cares if you're hungry, tired or want to take a hot shower.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jayridesacove said:
Technically, that's not true, because after recruit training and ITB, the Marine would still need to pass the indoc for their training slot.
Naturally; I 'guaranteed recon' means you get guaranteed the chance to take the indoc, but the way he's talking, he shouldn't have too much trouble with it. The indoc isn't BUDS, as hard as it is...and with all his talk, if he doesn't make it, he deserves whatever MOS he gets, which will probably just be 03-Ihumpsomething.

MD

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
....just after graduating in '03 I thought that I was on the military path as well, and I felt that I was on that path because I was totally lost and didn't really have any focus. I went as far as visiting Navy and Air Force recruiters, but basically they told me that I was to old to enlist at the age of 27. Too bad for me. I got a job in CA that allows me to use my degree, and in my free time I can ride some of the best riding in the country, blaze like a madman, and hang out with my mountainbike girlfriend.

But after reading all these posts, I SO WISH that I had joined the military to work directly for out current idiot in office.

There's no way I wouldn't have gone awol if I had gone that route. Just don't have the personality type for it....you know, problems with authority and all......and I've already been incarcerated once.....lol.

But hey.....more power to you. Different strokes for differnt folks. Recruting videos sure make it all seem like a good time, however.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
my brother-in-law is a seal... he just went from seal team three to seal team one, i believe.... anyway i was in thier wedding back in september and was surrounded by seals.. nearly all of team one and three plus a bunch of the instructors and big wigs. Definatly a different breed of people.. All that i have met have been very smart. be ready for a lot of mental challenges too! They are not at all egotistical like one would imagine. We pretty much hung out all day and partied ALL night with all of these guys... I had a blast! you dont have to be all stacked and ripped to be a seal, most of them aren't! but you do have to be in VERY good shape... i would say that the biggest challenge in buds would be the water.... get VERY comfortable in the water. thats where they break most people! It would probably help to get a little diving experience before getting into that. they loose a bunch of people that just cant breath under water without a mask on to block thier nose! people dont make it for simple things like that. GO for it! but dont expect to get chosen! like said above, pick a job that you can live with if you dont make it or it takes a lot of time... You only live once, pursue you goals at any expense! Plus, when they run(sometimes), some of them write write thier phone numbers on thier back with shoe polish and you would be able to pick up some talent!!! chicks dig seals!!! lol you would have the most amazing experiences of you r life with the seals!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What's with people dragging up all these seriously old threads and chiming in? Is it the "similar threads" feature or something?

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Okay, if you really want to be a Navy SEALs do alot of physical training. Dont listen to all the people who tell you to start swimming your ass off becasue you need to be well rounded physically. Start cardio first and work your cardio and upper body well enough to be efficent in the water.

Its 90% mental 10% physical, always remember that, read as many pilot aptitude manuals and tests as you can because the SEALs instructors use a lot of mental tricks that pilot instructors use(but they cant write about them).

If you want to hear some more, get a detailed training regiment for 8 weeks and learn some more about the SEALs from someone who has been through it e-mail me at...

sealso331@yahoo.com

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
MikeD said:
What's with people dragging up all these seriously old threads and chiming in? Is it the "similar threads" feature or something?

ok, i guess that im the ass-clown that brought this one out of the archives! sorry people! im not really used to the "related threads" thing and never think to check dates! sorry!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
nikwho said:
ok, i guess that im the ass-clown that brought this one out of the archives! sorry people! im not really used to the "related threads" thing and never think to check dates! sorry!
Hey, it's not a problem...just a phenomenon I've been seeing lately (as much as I'm around here anymore). No need to apologize to anyone.

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
This thread is highly amusing. I particulary liked all of the "experts" on the subject who are/were not operators.

"I knew, talked with, saw, heard, etc..."

The woulda/coulda/shoulda responses were expected.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I knew a guy who watched the move Navy SEALs and said it was awesome!

For real though, that lame ass movie came out the year I joined the Navy and the number of asshats that joined because of that movie was all too funny. Guys who thought that because they were high school football studs, they would cruise through BUDS only to end up spending 4 years chipping paint.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
This thread is highly amusing. I particulary liked all of the "experts" on the subject who are/were not operators.

"I knew, talked with, saw, heard, etc..."

The woulda/coulda/shoulda responses were expected.
Being in the field for 200 to 250 nights a year sucks. Being cold and wet for days at a time sucks. Being hot and wet sucks. Carrying a 100lbs pack sucks. I didn't talk to someone to find that out.

There was a LOT of really good well thoughtout advice in this thread.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
With all its resilience, this thread should have 'joined the SEALS.'

(Actually, it's about time for it to sleep with the fishes, IMHO...)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Why would you double tap to the dome, you have to double tap center of mass and ride the recoil up into the dome.
WTF would you know. In a weaver stance you always go for the frontal lobe. THE FRONTAL LOBE. I bet you're one of those isoscelles stance fags.:ban:

My advice (from a 13 year Navy vet):
Link: http://www.answers.com/topic/u-s-navy-seals

1. If you have a degree, see if you can go in as an officer. In the Navy, officers have a lot of responsibility (vs. officers in the Air Force) but they also get a lot more respect. Officers are treated as the upper class of the Navy's hierarchy. Not only will you get a lot more pay (a Lt (O-3) can knock down $60k counting pay, BAQ, COMRATS, etc), but you will have a much better quality of life at the BOQ than you would at the BEQ. The Seals have officers too, so you can still try out for them.

2. If you enlist, go into a 'trade' field (something you can do as a civilian). A lot of recruits sign up to be torpedo man only to discover that there isn't any demand for those skills out side the military. If you like construction, and don't want to be stuck at sea for months at a time, I recommend the SeaBees. SeaBees are the combat engineers for the Navy and are live more like Marines than swabbies. In the Bees you can become a carpenter, steelworker, electrician, plumber, etc.

3. Navy Seals: I have known several Seals and one thing about them is they are not huge muscle-bound 'foot-ball' types. They are usually lean like swimmers/tri-geeks. Physical strength and endurance is not something that makes a successful Seal. What does make a successful Seal is unwavering Mental Strength. They NEVER quit no matter what the stress level is around them.... no matter how bad the pain is... they never ever quit. There are less than 1% us who have this ability. You might have it, but odds are you don’t. However, you never know until you try.

Hope you do make it though! Anyone who wears a "Budwiser" pinned to their chest, has the respect of all men.

this is so(#3) my budy form high school is almost a been pole to me and he was in UDT adn sub rescue, worked right next to the seals and with.(i guess, from what he says) If its what you want go for it, I have always wanted to be a SEAl, but IM fat and have contacts and no drive to be pushed around by the man..... :D j/k good luck with ever you do and this thread is funny!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
damn...the thread that wouldn't die.....

no, i'm still here, but it's in the back of my mind pretty much at all times...I appreciate those that did respond, and everybody who thinks i wasn't serious can go screw.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old thread again. How about some gasoline?

I think its funny the military teams were beat so hard in the eco challenge outdoor survival race series, they had to form their own league.

Civilian teams = pro
Military teams = amateurs