Quantcast

Should wheelsets come with rim strips?

Untitled

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
I just shelled out about 400 bones on an EX721 wheelset, built by a reputable builder at a reputable shop. When they arrived, they had no rim strips to my surprise. Is my disappointment justified, or is this common practice? I don't want to be mad at the folks I purchased from, but that seems kinda lame for the coin I spent on the custom build. I just figured that strips would be included - as they have been on other wheels I've had built. When purchasing, it was never discussed - I wasn't asked if I was gonna try to run tubeless or anything. I just assumed they would arrive ready to roll. Am I nuts for being a little pissed?

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
That's something I would expect from an online purchase of machine-built wheels, but not from a custom builder. If they weren't sure about the tubeless situation, they could've at least gave the strips/tape to you on the side.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I don't know....I knew guys who were anal about their rim strips.

Do you want a simple rubber strip (cheap fo rthe wheel builder to throw on there) or do you hant that cloth sticky tape stuff you cut to length? Or all the other types of strips.....

My wheels came with it...I think.

I wouldn't get pissed over a small thing.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Every set of wheels I have gotten has has NO RIM TAPE. I just buy some from pricepoint for $.99 per roll and do both rims. Not a big deal at all.

I agree, you think for $250+ on wheels you buy the $2.00 or so of rim tape they could throw in. Whatever though just be glad you got some sturdy wheels!

Hell even on my $400+ set of Arrow DHX rims/wheelset I got had no rim tape. They might become tubeless anyways though but still, it's like no price matters.

I just think it depends on who builds them