Quantcast

Showtime series to feature Islamic terrorists ploting within the US

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
WTF is wrong with the 'entertainment' media..?
:dead:

Terror TV Show Ticking
NY Post | 10/5/2004 | SUSAN KARLIN

Cable channel Showtime is quietly at work on a new series about the personal lives of an Islamic terrorist cell in the United States, The Post has learned.

The series — to be called "The Cell" — will be told from the view points of a group of European and American converts to Islam who are plotting terror attacks here.

Showtime says it realizes it is walking into a potential minefield by portraying terrorists sympathetically without pulling punches about their violent aims.

HBO's "The Sopranos" and "The Wire" have found success doing that with mobsters and drug dealers.

"We're trying to look into the minds of these [terrorists] and the issues driving them, beyond a black-and-white portrayal," says Showtime entertainment president Robert Greenblatt, who will decide next month whether to commit to a series.

"The leaders of the cell look like nice, normal people you would encounter in everyday life and never know were quietly putting together a power base," he says. "Our only hesitation was sensitivity to the subject matter, which was very scary. Several plot points have already come to pass."

In fact, one scene was so prophetic and volatile it had to be cut from the original script. It depicted a captured serviceman being beheaded on videotape, months before it happened in real life.

"The Cell" stars an Israeli — Oded Fehr from the movie "The Mummy" — as the group's charismatic leader and Michael Ealy from the comedy "Barbershop" as a conflicted Islamic convert.

The pilot is the brainchild of Cyrus Voris and Ethan Reiff, who met as New York University film students and went on to create the 1998 Fox drama "Brimstone" and write the screenplay for last year's "Bulletproof Monk."

"Popular culture was trivializing the terrorism issue in an escapist, comic-book way and it really pissed us off," says Reiff, who grew up in Brooklyn. "You'd either see a generic Eurotrash terrorist or rogue CIA agent or an oil company conspiracy."

"You can't deal with such a complex issue like a James Bond film," adds Voris. "There was a huge disconnect with what was being shown and what we wanted to deal with."

The pair harnessed the politics, religions and backgrounds of its cast, crew and director Clark Johnson ("Homicide"), who insisted on meetings with Islamic groups.

They also engaged in copious research and tapped anti-terrorism experts.

"People like that are always approaching us, wanting to sell their stories," says Voris. "Most of the information we used was available long before 9/11. Those guys never made it much of a secret."

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
wtf is wrong with this show?

why is it so taboo?

did the Soprano's induce more Europeans to join the mafia?

must have missed something here....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Do you think the producers of the show care about the effects of terrorism? Do they care about educating people about anything? No. They are using the shock value of sensationalizing the most morally disgusting people on the planet, with the sole purpose being to make money.

Like I said, let them go for it. Maybe the world will get lucky and they will get beheaded.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
After watching the Sopranos, I am still trying to become a made man. I don't want to have to take time away from that to join Islam, if I watch this show...

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Echo said:
The good thing about this is, the morons making this show will probably get beheaded.
i'd give it a little more credit since it's actually cable-cable. it'll end up probably being a decent series, unlike anything you'd see on network television.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Echo said:
Do you think the producers of the show care about the effects of terrorism? Do they care about educating people about anything? No. They are using the shock value of sensationalizing the most morally disgusting people on the planet, with the sole purpose being to make money.

Like I said, let them go for it. Maybe the world will get lucky and they will get beheaded.
Hmmm sounds like you won't be giving this show a chance then? :p

i dont have any pay channels i won't be watching either.....

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
At first I thought it was reality TV.

I agree, all this is gonna do is pull in people who are afraid of terrorists, make them think this is how they do it, and how to avoid it, and how to protect themselves.

When in reality...

The producers probably dont know more about what the real terrorists look/talk/act like then the veiwers do. Its all staged off others fear to round in ratings.

These creaters are truly the ratings whores of america.