Quantcast

Sick New Video - "The New Deal" By Ryan Denehy

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Sandwich said:
That was so HOT....when it was done 20 years ago on a bmx.

I'll keep my videos at least minimally MOUNTAIN-bike related, thanks.
Wow, so what your saying is that just because BMXers could do it before street mtbs were even invented, we shouldn't even have fun in a similar fashion? Its a played out argument, deal with it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
and it's a played out form of riding.

Just as you're entitled to your opinion, so am I.

I think it's boring to watch some guy go over thirty dirt jumps in a row. I thought it was boring eight years ago when I watched a nine-year old BMX video. I like to watch DH and even some freeride videos. I don't care if you ride like that, I know I do. If you want to videotape it though, I can see BMXers doing much larger tricks, and nobody is calling it "new" or "fresh".

why don't you ask what chuck norris thinks?

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Sandwich said:
and it's a played out form of riding.

Just as you're entitled to your opinion, so am I.

I think it's boring to watch some guy go over thirty dirt jumps in a row. I thought it was boring eight years ago when I watched a nine-year old BMX video. I like to watch DH and even some freeride videos. I don't care if you ride like that, I know I do. If you want to videotape it though, I can see BMXers doing much larger tricks, and nobody is calling it "new" or "fresh".

why don't you ask what chuck norris thinks?
I know chuck personally... or at least pretend to chat with him on the internet...He would say that anything T-Pirate says is correct and also what I say. Street riding is the ****, and yes that video is really cool. People did pull that crap on bmx bikes awhile back but it is totally different on a mountain bike.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Curiouscaptian01 said:
... People did pull that crap on bmx bikes awhile back but it is totally different on a mountain bike.
Exactly, larger wheels and bigger bikes are harder to pull the same tricks on. The same way that riding DH trails on a BMX would be really hard.

You think the truth is that riding street on an MTB is played—the truth is MTB's are evolving to swallow all other types of riding because of their incredible versatility. How many years before hardly anybody rides BMX? It's already on a serious decline now that you can buy a $500 hardtail that's pretty strong from almost every major brand. Not to mention that BMX has practically become a ghetto fashion show with all the bandana's hangin' out the back pocket and greasy nappy hair, tight ass pants etc (heroin-chic).

I love BMX and the top pros are some of the most, talented and dedicated of any sport—you might want to consider getting over knocking MTB street it's not going anywhere except up...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i really dont understand the arguement to begin with??? why can't the riding just be appreciated for the difficulty it entails and the fact that it only continues to progress....

that f'ing noise on the other hand doesn't even begin to be deserved to be called music.

the 'rapification' of all things media these days is beyond me, give me the old stuff where the actually PLAY instruments and SING, that used to be called music.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
ridetoofast said:
the 'rapification' of all things media these days is beyond me, give me the old stuff where the actually PLAY instruments and SING, that used to be called music.
Yessss!!! Bring back John Denver!!!!!!

One more thread killed with attitude.
:stosh:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
KILL WHITEY
naw, naw, man. We're talkin' 'bout Whitey DeLuca or old manager...

He disappeared a couple years ago.

What we tryin' to say is...

we got some hats now!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
punkassean said:
Not to mention that BMX has practically become a ghetto fashion show with all the bandana's hangin' out the back pocket and greasy nappy hair, tight ass pants etc (heroin-chic).
Queer eye for the BMX guy??? Sounds like watching guys ride has become more of a ghetto red carpet critique.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Werd,

I mean I understand that to them riding is more than just riding, it is an extension of themselves. I know that riding style is important so I guess some guys just take that one step further with getting highly stylized wardrobes. I just think the current style is a bit over the top, with this kind of 1 part James Dean, 1 part Sid Vicious, 1 part Iggy Pop, and 1 part frail effeminate pansy boy thing goin' on...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Hu??? I was zinnging you, "Sounds like watching guys ride has become more of a ghetto red carpet critique." Stop looking at the clothes and synthetic attitude and watch the riding. Sure the year round halloween costume is distracting but really I'm suprised any male cares. Let me guess you ride a bike that's all black? MTBrs are just as cliche' we just have more money to spend on TLD logos and tires with knobs shaped like our favorite corporate logo.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Kornphlake said:
Hu??? I was zinnging you, "Sounds like watching guys ride has become more of a ghetto red carpet critique." Stop looking at the clothes and synthetic attitude and watch the riding. Sure the year round halloween costume is distracting but really I'm suprised any male cares. Let me guess you ride a bike that's all black? MTBrs are just as cliche' we just have more money to spend on TLD logos and tires with knobs shaped like our favorite corporate logo.
ahaaa, I'm with Sean. You can only watch a parade of -just- so many 6'1" 140lb kids with long black hair, super-dark jeans, a '70's tshirt and a trucker hat with their gloves in their back pocket before it becomes pretty comical. I swear sometimes I think I'm seeing octuple on some street rides.

It's just as bad as the dudes in TLD helmets/jerseys/gloves/shorts, Dainese full suits riding Intenses with Intense tires walking the hard rock gardens though....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Nope my bikes have factory colors, I was the one dissing the M-tires anyway

Dude, I watch the riding but I can't help but be somewhat disturbed by the "fashion show"

color me zinged...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
punkassean said:
You think the truth is that riding street on an MTB is played—the truth is MTB's are evolving to swallow all other types of riding because of their incredible versatility. How many years before hardly anybody rides BMX? It's already on a serious decline now that you can buy a $500 hardtail that's pretty strong from almost every major brand. Not to mention that BMX has practically become a ghetto fashion show with all the bandana's hangin' out the back pocket and greasy nappy hair, tight ass pants etc (heroin-chic).

I love BMX and the top pros are some of the most, talented and dedicated of any sport—you might want to consider getting over knocking MTB street it's not going anywhere except up...
So when was the last time you saw street MTB (or any MTB) covered on any TV other than stupid crash reels on REAL TV? Im no BMXpert but think that statement that BMX is going down is pretty weak. But if thats what you want to believe than go ahead.

Watching the teaser, i thought... oh boy... another street/dj vid. Not my cup of tea. the riders in it are for sure talented. Its just not something i'd buy.

Long live freewalking.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
DßR said:
You can only watch a parade of -just- so many 6'1" 140lb kids with long black hair, super-dark jeans, a '70's tshirt and a trucker hat with their gloves in their back pocket before it becomes pretty comical. I swear sometimes I think I'm seeing octuple on some street rides.

It's just as bad as the dudes in TLD helmets/jerseys/gloves/shorts, Dainese full suits riding Intenses with Intense tires walking the hard rock gardens though....
or the revised version which is more accurate than the decline of bmx

You can only watch a parade of -just- so many 5'8" 205lb adults with goatees, shaved heads, tattoos and "i'm hardcore because i ride a hardtail with 24" wheels and 3.0 tires" t-shirts plunking off stairs before it becomes pretty comical. I swear sometimes I think I'm seeing octuple on some street mtb rides.

It's just as bad as the dudes in switchblade helmets/chest protectors/ugly erseys/shorts, Cheap brand body armor riding "insert overbuilt huck bike here" with kujo tires going around the good berms to hit wooden stunts instead though....

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
©2001 said:
or the revised version which is more accurate than the decline of bmx
haha!! I disagree tho (although I don't think bmx is declining at all) -- those gnar dudes of which you speak aren't doing it as a fashion statement. I think bmx is going the way of skating -- when trend-sniffing kids who don't do it or know jacksh*t about it are styling themselves after it, that's cheesy.

I FULLY blame Ashton Kuchner.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
DßR said:
haha!! I disagree tho (although I don't think bmx is declining at all) -- those gnar dudes of which you speak aren't doing it as a fashion statement. I think bmx is going the way of skating -- when trend-sniffing kids who don't do it or know jacksh*t about it are styling themselves after it, that's cheesy.

I FULLY blame Ashton Kuchner.
That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

At least in SC I see waaay more young kids riding hardtails w/o front brakes etc than I see BMXers.

I also personally know more than a few guys who have all but given up on 20" after getting a nice 26" "freestyle" bike.

BMX is here to stay, but MTB is only getting bigger and all encompassing. And I for one like that :thumb:

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
MTB is only getting bigger and all encompassing. And I for one like that
that means in 5 years "the only people riding mtn bikes will be trend-sniffing kids." get ready. i hope less people ride mtn bikes...w/ the rate of whack style increasing and respect for good style decreasing, it's gonna get even more gross than it is now.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
©2001 said:
that means in 5 years "the only people riding mtn bikes will be trend-sniffing kids." get ready. i hope less people ride mtn bikes...w/ the rate of whack style increasing and respect for good style decreasing, it's gonna get even more gross than it is now.
hah, ive wondered the same thing. A lot of old school bmx guys talk about how mtb is now like bmx was back in the day. I hope to god it doesnt turn into what bmx is now (for the most part)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
to have read the critiques, I would have thought I was about to listen to Morrissey or Frank Zappa. I forgot how anal you dweebs are.

From my own perspective...I call that progression. Why? Pop in a bike video from 2 years ago and the final "climax" clip would have been 1 of those tricks. The riders are progressing...young kids coming up are more open minded to trying new tricks and combos, events are more amd more creative. The tricks visually aren't more progressive than anything in BMX, but the style, tricks and culture are still developing. BMX is clearly defined and they're just now starting to tap into their MAX potential of tricks.

Flip whips, 900's, etc...are just now being mastered by the MOST talented riders. And look how many years they've been working it. MTB styling is still in it's infancy. Anyone who's watched the Crankwerks clips has seen the riders scratch the surface of tons more progressive tricks, stunts, lines.....it's just a beginning.

I don't find the tricks to be more stunning than BMX vids, no argument there. But I will watch the vid to see and appreciate what these guys are trying and learning.

Side note: T-Pirate and CuriousCaptian are my little man-toys!

lineskifreek

Chimp
Jul 30, 2002
alright to the 4 of you who thought the music was bad don't get your panties in a knot. just wait for the next teaser. The New Deal isn't going to be all rap, it won't be all metal, it really won't be all of anything. Mountain biking is diverse and that will show through in the music. Any of you watch ski movies or snowboard movies? the music choice in films like those demonstrates more of what I'm trying to do. I pick music that fits what your watching, regardless of if your into it or not it will fit.

The song in the teaser is on the more extreme end of rap, and you can bet it won't be used in the movie....but thats not to say there won't be any. I will make the promise that this film is going to have the BEST soundtrack of any mtb film yet, and that it will encompass all tastes of music. Is that a bold claim? yes. but i know my ****. so don't worry about it.

Everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback. you'll like what you see when its finished.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
lineskifreek said:
alright to the 4 of you who thought the music was bad don't get your panties in a knot. just wait for the next teaser. The New Deal isn't going to be all rap, it won't be all metal, it really won't be all of anything. Mountain biking is diverse and that will show through in the music. Any of you watch ski movies or snowboard movies? the music choice in films like those demonstrates more of what I'm trying to do. I pick music that fits what your watching, regardless of if your into it or not it will fit.

The song in the teaser is on the more extreme end of rap, and you can bet it won't be used in the movie....but thats not to say there won't be any. I will make the promise that this film is going to have the BEST soundtrack of any mtb film yet, and that it will encompass all tastes of music. Is that a bold claim? yes. but i know my ****. so don't worry about it.

Everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback. you'll like what you see when its finished.

Sounds good man.

Whats this about me being your man toy butch? I don't know what I'm hearing...but I think I like it.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
yea ryan i love that all the clips ive seen of yours use totally different music, and it all works. I wasnt a fan of the song in the teaser at first either, but after getting used to it i love it.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
I would much rather watch a video like this than New World Disorder. After going to BC to ride this summer and scoping out some of the local scene there. I came to the realization that the disorder series is mainly filmed in Whistler. I would much rather see real riders throwing down in everyday type places. Who wants to see the same line over and over.