Quantcast

Simple Green Candy

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

Frame: Simple Bicycle Company - custom geo - 22.5" TT (23 effective), 15.5" chain stay, 13" BB, 9.75" BB to TT/ST intersection, 70 HT angle, Spanish BB, integrated headset, integrated seat clamp

Frame Weight: 5 lbs 5 oz with the BB bearings and spacer installed
Total Bike Weight: 28.4 lbs

Forks: Manitou Gold Label Series 2
Cranks: Odyssey Wombolts
Hubs: Atomlab Aircorp SS
Rims: Mavic 721s
Tires: DMR Motos
Bars: SIC Chase 3"
Stem: SIC Classic
Seat/Seat Post: MacNeil
Pedals: Drive Pro Sealed
Brakes: Hayes
Chainwheel: FBM Wurlitzer
Chain: Shadow Interlock 2
Grips: Demolition Missile

I love the way it rides... I forgot how good chromo feels. This feels the most like a bmx of any 26" I've been on... which is exactly what I wanted. Let me know what you think. :cheers:

http://www.simplebicycleco.com/

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
thats looking orgasmic, nice build dude, im diggin the green. Why you running bars with a 3" rise? prefrence? why? Imma build up my nemesis soon and im still undecided on how much rise I want.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thanks for the comments guys.

Foggy, I went with the 3" for mostly leverage and clearance issues. I wanted to be able to do turndowns on this bike. Actually, the distance from the ground to the grips isn't much different than my old P. I had to cut about a 1/2" off the fork (after it was already cut when I had it on the P). Plus, I'm fairly tall, 6'1", so it feels good.

Ben, yeah, I jumped it this weekend. It took me a bit to get used to it, just because the geo is so much different than the P (the BB is over an inch higher). But, I fell in love quick. I started working on turndowns. I'd say I got them about 70% of clicked. Yeah, action pics will come soon. You still interested in the P frame?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
such a nice looking bike cru. love the integrated clamp. hows the x-up clearance with the 175 wombolts?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
X-up clearance is good. Better than on my long P3 (TT on this is a little longer). But, I still get a very slight double buzz on my toes.

Fiddy, I don't think I'll be able to make it up there this weekend. I've got a buddy coming in town that's never been to LA. Gonna show him the sites. How is your build coming?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
X-up clearance is good. Better than on my long P3 (TT on this is a little longer). But, I still get a very slight double buzz on my toes.

Fiddy, I don't think I'll be able to make it up there this weekend. I've got a buddy coming in town that's never been to LA. Gonna show him the sites. How is your build coming?
sweet. people visiting, just another reason to party twice as hard :clapping:

theres been a few minor delays in teh build,, ill shoot you a pm with the details..

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
if another bike company could take that exact geo. and build a 26 (or 24in) frame that look that good, and is cheap, then I'd buy it. Geeze I wish I had the cash for a build that nice

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
jesus i thought it was a 24 specific frame looking at the pics and was trying to figure out how you got the custom sherman lowers. thing looks amazing dog

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
how come the higher b.b.? better foot reach on turndowns?

btw, that's really dope!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
if another bike company could take that exact geo. and build a 26 (or 24in) frame that look that good, and is cheap, then I'd buy it. Geeze I wish I had the cash for a build that nice
Why another company? The price? This frame wasn't cheap, but, it was quite a bit less than any other custom built frame I could find. He included the frame, BB, headset, and the candy powder job at a very reasonable price for a custom frame. Glad you like it, though. :cool:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
how come the higher b.b.? better foot reach on turndowns?
Well, that's one of the benefits. But, the main reason is that it helps it handle more like a bmx... gives more pop (leverage around the rear axle), and spins and lays down easier in the air. BMX bikes usually have the bb 1.5 to 2" above the axle line. A lower BB will have more stability on the ground. So, it's kind of a balancing act. I thought about going higher initially, but I'm glad it ended up where it is... it feels so much more nimble than the P.

I think a lot of these bikes are still designed with racing geo in mind... where the stability at speed is very important. But, I'm not trying to race this thing. I'm trying to fly through the air and do tricks. :biggrin:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Goddamn it. That thing just looks better and better the more I look at it. I seriously love that thing.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hot damn! that things fvckin killer man! one of the sickest simple's I've ever seen. I'm way stoked to see that thing built up so cherry (or maybe candy apple would be more appropriate) it looks like alot of fun to ride! welcome to the land of simple!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Looks amazing! Can't get much cleaner than that.

Geometry sounds dialed - 13" BB is where it's at for 26"ers.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Well, that's one of the benefits. But, the main reason is that it helps it handle more like a bmx... gives more pop (leverage around the rear axle), and spins and lays down easier in the air. BMX bikes usually have the bb 1.5 to 2" above the axle line. A lower BB will have more stability on the ground. So, it's kind of a balancing act. I thought about going higher initially, but I'm glad it ended up where it is... it feels so much more nimble than the P.

I think a lot of these bikes are still designed with racing geo in mind... where the stability at speed is very important. But, I'm not trying to race this thing. I'm trying to fly through the air and do tricks. :biggrin:
good stuff, I missed that you said you watned it as close to feeling like a bmx as possible! sick ride, really diggin it!

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
...I keep looking at this bike - I just don't think the aesthetics of it can be improved!...it's simply a spot on design :thumb:

... never show up to Greensboro NC with it because I'll steal it from you and hang it on my wall as art ;)

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
...I keep looking at this bike - I just don't think the aesthetics of it can be improved!...it's simply a spot on design :thumb:

... never show up to Greensboro NC with it because I'll steal it from you and hang it on my wall as art ;)
Haha. That's funny. Yeah, I like the way it looks, too. But, that's not what I focused on for the build. With everything, I thought about function first, weight second, looks third. It just happened to end up being very smooth.

And there are a lot of other amazing looking bikes floating around this forum. I've seen some beautiful Tonics, Molly's, Nem Pro's, etc.