single speed for street riding/commuting

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
I am gonna build up a commuter... bike messenger style

Key Word I: fast

Key Word II: inexpensive

I want it single speed (maybe fixed), one brake (front), and durable. anything near 20 lbs will feel like a feather to me, since i ride a 40lb bike regularly.

Bikes i am considering:

KHS
http://www.khsbicycles.com/04flite100.html

Bianchi (even though i hate the chrome)
http://www.bianchiusa.com/pista.html

Given that i am normal sized... (160 lbs 5'10" maybe 5'11") can any of you help me with:

other suggestions? Steel or Aluminum? Build it up myself or stock? What about crank length? Size of frame? Advice on bars?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
neither of those bikes looks like they have front brakes btw.

anyhoo the Karata monkey or a Jake the Snake are good frames to look at. neither one seems to give crank arm length but i 'think' people usually go shorter for more spin.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The Toninator said:
neither one seems to give crank arm length but i 'think' people usually go shorter for more spin.
I don't know about the track bike crowd, but most SS mountain bikers I know go longer for more power. I'm of the opinion that a couple of millimeters doesn't matter in either direction, but that's just me, some people swear they can tell a difference.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
BikeGeek said:
I don't know about the track bike crowd, but most SS mountain bikers I know go longer for more power. I'm of the opinion that a couple of millimeters doesn't matter in either direction, but that's just me, some people swear they can tell a difference.

i ride 175.

the differences are incredible. no way can i ride my bike with 170 or 165... yea, it's SS.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
Are there no other affordable track frames? i'm not annoyed. i just wanna look at some frames.

post up some brands.... (like the .243 of track frames)

:)

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
yea, but unless something really nice pops up, or if there is something drastcally different about the steel Vs aluminum debate with road bikes (as opposed to mtn bikes) i want to stick with steel.

they doo seem to be a hot deal though.