Quantcast

single speed gear ratio

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
id go with the smallest front cog you can and the smallest rear cog also. id run an e13 25 tooth with a 12 out back. money on 26's

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
Alot of people will say 2:1 ratio, but I personally think thats too slow. I ran 28t front/12t back on 26" wheels, it was perfect for me.

Gl3N

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
Ohio
Does the idea ratio change if you run a 24 or 26? I have a 2.13 on my 26" and like the ratio a lot. And I am now trying to figure out what ratio to go with on my new 24 build. I have been told by a lot of people to go 2.3? Does the difference between the 24 and 26 make up the difference in the ratio?

Does the idea ratio change if you run a 24 or 26? I have a 2.13 on my 26" and like the ratio a lot. And I am now trying to figure out what ratio to go with on my new 24 build. I have been told by a lot of people to go 2.3? Does the difference between the 24 and 26 make up the difference in the ratio?
Yes, wheelsize does affect the gear ratio. I'm not familiar with 24" gearing, but I'm sure one of the dudes on here can help.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Different wheel diameters will affect how far you travel with one revolution of the cranks. The same ratios will also feel very different. To get similar feel and distance you need to look at gear inches. On my 26" SS I like to run 32x17. It fits the type of riding I do and the terrain I like. When I got my 29er I wanted it to feel about the same. 32x19 gets me almost the same gear inches on the bigger wheels.

There's a calculator here for coming up with the numbers. Set the first slider in the first group to your front ring and the rest to 0. Set the first slider in the second group to your rear cog and then the rest to 0. Pick the 26" wheel size and hit submit. It will spit out some numbers. GI is your gear inches and RT is your gear ratio. Now go back and enter 24" wheel and play with the rings and cogs until you get a similar GI number. That will get you close. You may still need to go +/- a tooth on your ring or cog to get it to feel exactly like you want it to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The quick and dirty way is divide front ring by rear cog and multiply by wheel diameter.

It doesn't give you true gear inches but it does give you a number with which to compare.

I run a 34/16 x 26" wheels which gives you 55..25

32/14 x 24" gives you 54.86 which is pretty close and what I ran when I used 24s.