Quantcast

Singlespeed Chain Tensioners

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, here you go...chain tensioners. again, i'll start with the one i have, and just keep this going. maybe add a little review since there aren't too many.

Rennen Rollenlager:

best, and only tensioner, i would consider using...hence the reason i bought it. strong, and not too heavy. the guys at Rennen are pretty cool, as well. i recently was made aware of one issue, though, and that is with breezer dropouts. the roller is nice and quiet, and rolls on cartridge bearings.

$50 @ www.rennendesigngroup.com

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
just ordered mine on wednesday... can't wait!! ordered and shipped out the same day. gotta love when small bizness does it right!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Do you have to loosen the tensioner bolt to remove the rear wheel? Does the roller have any lateral adjustment to accomodate chainline?

Looks like a nice solid tensioner. I prefer the springless tensioners over ones like the singleator. :thumb:

J

JRB

BikeGeek said:
Do you have to loosen the tensioner bolt to remove the rear wheel? Does the roller have any lateral adjustment to accomodate chainline?

Looks like a nice solid tensioner. I prefer the springless tensioners over ones like the singleator. :thumb:
The site says no. When I had Inbred's on, I didn't try to take the wheel off. You could do minimal adjustments with washers, but that's it. It is very nice though. I had to go back to surly since I have breezer dropouts though.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
loco said:
The site says no.
I just checked out the site too. That's pretty sweet. I've been using the Soulcraft Convert, and really like it. This thing looks to have the same roller and roller adjustment (washers), but seems like it would be stronger. It doesn't hurt that's it's $25 cheaper too. :thumb: I may have to pick one up for my latest conversion.

I use the Gen II Surly Singleator, with a rubber-band assistor on it, in the push-up mode. Once I added the rubber band, I found nirvana. It's easy to get wheels on and off, easy to clean the chain and parts, easy to set chainline and easy to swipe rubber bands out of my supply closet at the office.

J

JRB

EBasil said:
I use the Gen II Surly Singleator, with a rubber-band assistor on it, in the push-up mode. Once I added the rubber band, I found nirvana. It's easy to get wheels on and off, easy to clean the chain and parts, easy to set chainline and easy to swipe rubber bands out of my supply closet at the office.
Can you post pics?? I am using the gen II with the spring.

loco said:
Can you post pics?? I am using the gen II with the spring.
Well, not immediately, but I can describe it since it's so simple: get one of those "fat" rubber bands of the type that would fit around your wrist (or my favorite, the black one that comes on a WTB folding tire), and hook it over the silver end of the axle for the pulley that sticks out of the side of the singleator arm. Then, loop the rubber band over your chainstay and back down to hook onto the end of the pulley axle, again. Done. You've just added vertical tension, but not so much that your chain will bind, and you can take the rubber band off in half a second if you want to. The rubber band doesn't come off when I chatter over rocks, etc... so don't worry that it's not on an actual "hook".

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston

The Rohloff Chain Tensioner is a spring loaded device that maintains chain tension in a single driveline application. It should be used with the Speedhub when horizontal adjustment of the hub is unattainable or in rear suspension applications where the distance between the bottom bracket and rear axle change throughout the range of travel. The Rohloff Chain Tensioner is an excellent choice for any conversion to a single driveline system (i.e. Speedhub or singlespeed). The Chain Tensioner is easy to install, it simply mounts to the existing derailleur hanger on the frame. Spacers are used for lateral adjustability.

http://www.rohloffusa.com/frame.htm

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I got the rennen in last week. I haven't gotten my ride together yet but plan on doing a ride report and such. I wouldn't have thought the quality would be this good, but it is. The guys at Rennen have it together.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
the Inbred said:
well, here you go...chain tensioners. again, i'll start with the one i have, and just keep this going. maybe add a little review since there aren't too many.

Rennen Rollenlager:

best, and only tensioner, i would consider using...hence the reason i bought it. strong, and not too heavy. the guys at Rennen are pretty cool, as well. i recently was made aware of one issue, though, and that is with breezer dropouts. the roller is nice and quiet, and rolls on cartridge bearings.

$50 @ www.rennendesigngroup.com
That is a clean looking job.....

And looks like someone could Ghetto rig something similiar with little trouble. :think: I already have a MRP and a Black spire roller to mess with.....maybe I could creat a less attractive version for pennies? Cause $50 seems a little steep for what it is.

Rhino