Quantcast

Singlespeed Geometry

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
So here's my question:
Singlespeeds have their own geometry. Right now I just have a Giant Iguana MTB that's converted--it has a long travel Rock Shox '00 Judy, but in the future I'd like to get a SS frame.
What makes a SS frame SS? They're longer, I know, and they tend to have sloping top tubes with long seatposts. Could someone run down the thinking and physics behind the designs? I like to know that kind of crap.
Also, how will my cheapo tall MTB frame act as compared to a SS that's actually right for my body?
I'm 6'0 and have long legs
Thanks
Paul

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i never realized SSs had their own geometry. maybe that's just 'cause my Inbred was the first bike i ever really did actual riding on.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
the Inbred said:
i never realized SSs had their own geometry.
Me either. The only thing different I ever noticed on SS frames was the track fork end or eccentric BB. :confused:

paulbug
I'm not sure I'd want longer frame if that's what defines an SS geometry. Longer frames corner slower and don't climb as well.

You're over-thinking this. SS is simplicity. How does your Iguana feel as an SS?

I think a lot of the SS frames are nice, but I think there is a lot of hype involved too.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
For me climbing is better on a longer frame (Cannondale, Gary Fisher) than shorter frames, but I prefer that geometry on all my bikes. On a longer frame, I find my center of gravity is better and I get better traction when powering up a climb. With shorter top tube frames my center is too close to the bars and the back wheel breaks loose easier when standing. Descending is a different story...I feel more comfortable with a short top tube for fast, stable descents.

I don't think there is a specific geometry for SS----whatever you like on a geared bike will probably work out fine for a SS. The thing that will make the biggest difference on a basic converted bike is a true SS rear hub or the perfect gearing/chain length so you don't have to run a tensioner. The pedaling is more efficient and surprisingly easier. Part of the charm of a SS is that you can take any old bike and transform it...it's not about having the lightest bike with bling-bling parts...it's about the simplicity and joy of just riding....though of course a light bike with nice parts isn't bad either :)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
The only geometry difference I would think would be between single speed 'XC bikes' and single speed 'jumping' bikes, but those lines get crossed all the time too.

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
BikeGeek said:
How does your Iguana feel as an SS?
The Iguana, I think, may be too tall for me by about a half an inch...maybe an inch.
I'll have to ride it more to see.
I'll keep my eye out for a cheap, slightly shorter bike I can compare it to, but for now, I haven't ridden it enough to know how it feels.
I've liked the simplicity, though, on the 4 rides I've been on.
Paul

I don't think SS bikes are "different", BUT I know I think the long-top-tube geometry I already like is very well suited for SS riding. Mine's a Manitou HT, but it's now called "Fisher Genesis"geometry...long top tube, short chainstays. PERFECT for climbing out of the saddle, as many SS riders do quite a bit.