Quantcast

SixSixOne Evolution Helmet

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
What do you guys think of the new SixSixOne Evolution helmet?

It meets ASTM F 1447, ANSI Z90 - 4, CPSC, CE bicycle helmet standards, but not the DOT standard. I was planning to get a DOT approved helmet for '08, but now I am having second thoughts!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Any more pics of that helmet? And I think a few of the other 661 helmets are now ASTM certified.

toby

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
From what I've read DOT is overkill for most DH. My next helmet will be one that's ASTM 1952 certified (downhill).
A lot of people seem to feel the same way. But I ride a moto helmet and definitely think it is more protective, and definitely more comfortable than the bicycle helmets I've tried on.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Everyone I know who wears the new Bravo's looks like their chin is about to jump out of the helmet. It doesn't seem to sit right and the chin guard seems to face almost straight out as opposed to most others.

That helmet looks good, but an artist's rendering is always way cooler than the real deal. Find some real photos.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot of people seem to feel the same way. But I ride a moto helmet and definitely think it is more protective, and definitely more comfortable than the bicycle helmets I've tried on.
I will second this. I've been riding a moto lid all season coming off a 661 mtb full face. I must say they are MUCH more confidence inspiring (not trying to say that mtb full faces aren't safe, i just feel more confident w/ a DOT helmet). Besides, when it comes to my noodle, I'd rather spend a little more and have a sweaty wet hair mop than brain damage. $300 for a moto lid is still more than 100x cheaper than brain surgery. Just my $.02

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Everyone I know who wears the new Bravo's looks like their chin is about to jump out of the helmet. It doesn't seem to sit right and the chin guard seems to face almost straight out as opposed to most others. .
Totally agree. The jaw is way to close to the riders face. In a decent crash your face would not have too much protection.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
looks a lot like my 661 pro or full bravo helmet but with new graphics only...

and it's now accommodating the new standards... why can't helmet makers make any matte black helmets?

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
The Bravo helmets did have a chinbar that was too short for most people and some other problems. The new Evo helmet has addressed all of these problems. The samples look really good and there will be a matte black finish. I am hoping that I will have a final sample that I can take a picture of and post up on this discussion by the end of this month or early December.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
All of the other 661 bike helmets just received graphic changes for 2008. The Evo is a completely new helmet that we are designing and building from the ground up. That is why we are able to make that one comply with the ASTM standard. So, to answer your question, no none of the other cycling helmets in our line have been tested to this standard.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
what are the main differences you have noticed in the process of building an astm 1952 helmet compared to other standards?
materials, design, or anything you find worth to mention?
thank you

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
The Bravo helmets did have a chinbar that was too short for most people and some other problems. The new Evo helmet has addressed all of these problems. The samples look really good and there will be a matte black finish. I am hoping that I will have a final sample that I can take a picture of and post up on this discussion by the end of this month or early December.
Awesome, I can't wait to see the samples. Any update on when these will be available to purchase? Also, will the sizing be comparable to the Flight helmets?

aniki123

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
i have a fly helmet it is dot aproved i must say it is alittle bit over kill but then again if i go over my handel bars off a 32ft cliff i would be glad it is dot aprovved
(sorry my spelling is horrible)

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
When can we buy it?

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Can't wait to see the samples. I'm guessing this is aimed at the premium market in order to keep the old designs active?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I wouldn't think pricing would be for the high end market. It wouldn't make much sense financially since the Fox Rampage, Giro Remedy and '08 Bell Bellistic are all reasonably priced at $100-120 range.

I have a question though. I haven't picked up a Remedy to feel the weight and heft of it, but I picked up Ralph's Fox and was stunned. It weighed as much as a moto helmet. BUT I was impressed with the protection. You could tell it was much stonger, more padded than the typical DH helmet, particularly in the cheekbone/jaw area.

What are the weights of all these ASTM's compared to a base model D2?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
All a DOT helmet provides over ASTM 1952 certified (like my full face...) is just extra heat in my opinion.

Could be wrong, but I own a DOT helmet, and it doesnt even compare to my Specialized Deviant. Sure, the DOT has more pads and "feels" safer, but its hot, tough to see with, and hot. I'm very content with my Specialized.

*there's my little rant.*

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All a DOT helmet provides over ASTM 1952 certified (like my full face...) is just extra heat in my opinion.
This is not true. In order to get a helmet DOT approved it has to withstand a much harsher impact than those used in the ASTM standards for MTB helmets. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but this is pretty much the case. From what I remember when ASTM 1952 was implemented, it was to make a level of helmet stronger than the normal ASTM standard for bicycle helmets, but not as strong as DOT approved helmets.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA

Could be wrong, but I own a DOT helmet, and it doesnt even compare to my Specialized Deviant. Sure, the DOT has more pads and "feels" safer, but its hot, tough to see with, and hot. I'm very content with my Specialized.

*there's my little rant.*
A proper moto helmet provides far more protection than any of the DH helmets available. The specialized deviant isn't even really comparable to a helmet such as a 661 flight or a TLD SE.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I ride a Dot helmet they are way safer. I don't think it is overkill. If you go into a tree on a high speed section you will wish you had a real helmet. And My helmite is matte black.
If you had an understanding of how they work you probably wouldn't have said that.... Sure, DOT helmets are cheaper, but they are rated for higher speeds, like riding on a street bike, going 80 mph, or riding a dirt bike going 60...then hitting a tree.

There's foam in the helmet that compresses, and it's supposed to give under certain pressures. That's why after a bad crash, you replace the helmet. Also, I don't believe DOT has a chinbar strength requirement. So go with astm, yea, your paying some extra money, but it's worth your brain... right?

:rockout: