Quantcast

Sizing

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
ok well although i dont really consider myself a noob since i do my fair share of riding, i still have some questions about sizing.
im about 6'3" but am pretty skinny. i weigh about 180. nyway im lookin into gettin a new bike and am wonderin what size i should be lookin at. its going to be a dh bike and its pretty much between a demo 9 or the new v 10. im wonderin whether i should get a medium or large. i dont really like the idea of gettin a large cus it just seems like it would be huge, but i guess im tall so i dont really know. thanks.

also i have recently been offered a chance to get any of the .243 bikes. im wonderin what my size would be. its going to be the DH or FR frame.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm 6'4" and about your build (lanky, not realy heavy) and anything less than a large feels like a clown bike to me. Then again, even a lot of larges feel like clown bikes. For a DH bike, a longer TT is not really a bad thing, so long as you have good standover clearance. The extra length can help to stabilize you at speed.

Of the two bikes you mentioned, I'd personally go for the V-10 if it was for DH use only.

I don't know about the .243. They look nice, though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm 6'1" and I have a 19" freeride bike, a 21" cross country bike and I just bought a an XL hardtail for urban riding. The XL is only 17" with a longer top tube. You can't let the seat tube size guide your new bike, especially a DH ride. Get on one and ride it first, but I do think a medium would be too small for you.

The new Kona Stinky's XXL is only 17".

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Stinky, what TT length feels good to you for an urban/abuse hardtail. And, how long of a stem do you use? Thanks

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
its not gonna be dh only. probably more freeride actually and im leanin toward the demo. rite now i ride a norco fluid 2 as a trail bike and a borrowed big hit.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
bjanga said:
Stinky, what TT length feels good to you for an urban/abuse hardtail. And, how long of a stem do you use? Thanks
My top tube is 23.5" with a 70mm stem on my Stinky which feels good to me with the bar pushed forward a little more than most people like:

My new hardtail has not been ridden yet, but has a 24" top tube, so I went with a 50mm stem.

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
so i guess the consensus seems to be that a medium would be too small. thats quite a bummer cus i have a chance to get a very good price on a demo in a medium.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
DroppinaNorco said:
so i guess the consensus seems to be that a medium would be too small. thats quite a bummer cus i have a chance to get a very good price on a demo in a medium.
Talk to your LBS about gettin a last years model, you can save a bundle. I bought my 04 Stinky after the 05's were out and got a great deal.

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
i am gettin last years model. actually i donno if its last years or the year before but its definitely used. thats the only way to buy em unless u wanna lose an insane amount of money.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
go large..4" stand over..i got a small faith and im 5 6 (15 and growing) and i got -2 standover.yes -2!it sucks..