Quantcast

skipping under pressure

voithofer

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Greetings,

I just bought a used 05 Prophet. I'm having problems with it skipping gears when I put a lot of pressure on the pedals going up steep hills. When it happens it jumps up 2 to 3 gears (to smaller cogs). I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace the cassette and chain or the rear derailleur (XT RD-750). The reason that I think it might be the derailleur is that the chain (Dura Ace) is within spec. (Well within the .75 mark on the park chain tool). The cassette doesn't appear to be worn a lot but I'm no expert in telling that by sight. I have put a new shifter cable on and have adjusted it so that it shifts smoothly. I have also checked for stiff links and haven't found any. The rear derailleur seems to be quite loose when I move it side to side, but again I don't know what is acceptable. Any thoughts on how to better troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

thanks, rick

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like a worn cassette to me. They don't always look worn unless you place it next to a new one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like a worn cassette to me. They don't always look worn unless you place it next to a new one.
might also be the chain. brand new chain + used cassette can also = problems.

And like quo fan said, might be a bent hangar too. Have this checked as well before you purchase anything.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Guys guys go read the op again. The chain skips DOWN the cassette three cogs. A worn drivetrain usually skips in place. The only reason for a derailleur will up shift by itself is the cable slipping or the shifter failing. Unless things are skipping so badly that the chain drops down to higher gears and then shifts back to the original position.

But is the chain skipping, upshifting and not going back into gear? Does it still shift to all cogs? Chances are the seller put old parts on the bike and something is worn out. .75 on the Park tool imho is a worn out chain. I would suggest changing the cassette and chain and posibly the chainrings too. Wouldn't hurt to replace the cables and housing too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Guys guys go read the op again. The chain skips DOWN the cassette three cogs.
The OP is two years old, I think if he's got drivetrain problems, he's either resigned to living with them or has done something about it ;)