Quantcast

Slammed steats?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so i am trying to figure out the lowest possible seat postition and have had various suggestions.

-cut the top of the seat tube almost flush with the frame
-deity seatpost with the flip/flop spring loaded thing. (can be flipped upside down to put seat closer to frame
-pivotal seat and post combo
-seat and seatpost as one piece(connected)

*might be useless but the seat is already to low to pedal so id rather get it as out of the way as possible AND solve the solution to my 10% life left 25 dollar seatpost

*current seat is an odyssey junior and this is for a mtbmx

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i wouldn't mod your frame in any way for this purpose. How tall are you?
A 2" difference in seat height probably won't affect your riding one way or the other.
Since you already have the ody junior, just get a stump post for railed seats.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i wouldn't mod your frame in any way for this purpose. How tall are you?
A 2" difference in seat height probably won't affect your riding one way or the other.
Since you already have the ody junior, just get a stump post for railed seats.
what would be a stump post? mine is only 4 inches long but where it attatches is almost 2 inches. the riding wont be affected too much but the idea is to give me more room for whips and turndowns. ideally id have the seat on the frame itself but im realistic too

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
what i am trying to do is get the seat to "touch" the frame and tire. the clamp is about an inch and a half and i feel i can get it lower with a better seatpost-which i will need anyway. the seat tube is a 30.0

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
You could cut off the top of the seat post tube on your frame and then drill a hole and put a bolt in through the tube and post and it will hold it together. Pretty much exactly like this:

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
go with a junior to a fly/thomson post. you can slam it without having the seat slid all the way back on the rails, which looks kinda dumb, no offense, but this looks sooooooo ridiculously stupid

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
opinions on this. It can be flipped so where it holds the rails now will be on the bottom-which i THINK woudl acheive a "stack height" of 0?

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i don't trust those seatposts, and i don't know how they work. however, it may be hard to get your seat super low with that post. is that your seat? get a smaller one if so

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
no i have the odyssey junior on page 1, i just like how u can flip the white thing upside down which makes it like mounting the seat on the post instead of above it

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have been running flip'd deity posts forever and have had no problems. they are perfectly trust worthy, actually they have never slipped can say the same about the shadow posts that use the same design but execute it differently

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I don't get it? Why would you want a tiny little seat 2mm from your tire? You like buzzing your junk when you try to sit down?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I don't get it? Why would you want a tiny little seat 2mm from your tire? You like buzzing your junk when you try to sit down?
i cant sit down anyway-basically its useless to sit on so im tryin to just get it outa the way without getting a bar up my asshole

SIN P3

Chimp
Feb 2, 2009
i got a cheap seat post with a shadow seat bmx .and it is slam down 2mm from the tire sittingduck.my bike is for dirt jumping not sitting down and riden around!

Attachments

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think it's been mentioned, but a wedge post and pivital seat is the way to go for what you want.

http://www.danscomp.com/472101.php?cat=PARTS
with that post you can drop it as low as the seat tube on your frame. Cut the frame and you can get it even lower.

then just get the seat that goes on top of that post...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Exactly, but why get a heavy wedge post when you could just do this:

And you wouldnt have to take your seat off to take the seat post out. It would probly be a LOT more stronger at keeping it from sliding around too.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
because that looks ugly. and hows his seat and post gonna slide around if its slammed and the wedge holding it in place.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
You could cut off the top of the seat post tube on your frame and then drill a hole and put a bolt in through the tube and post and it will hold it together. Pretty much exactly like this:
LOLZ YOU GRIM REAPER'D YOUR BIKE ... GOOD FOR YOU

sory caps lock

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
For now its going to be a deity seatpost. This is the "safest" option first. depending on how that goes ill debate cutting the seat tube.

Cru-does that seatpost u sent expand in the seattube? it looks like it does but i dont want to cut my post and have to way to get the seat to work

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cru-does that seatpost u sent expand in the seattube? it looks like it does but i dont want to cut my post and have to way to get the seat to work
Yeah, they say it's supposed to be better than the animal wedge because applies the pressure more evenly on the inside of the seat tube. I've been thinking about trying it out one of these days. You can get a stump version or a longer version.

And you could always try it out without cutting the seat tube first.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
justin you can get a 4 inch stump seat post at pedal sports in my town. Maybe even a slam post if they have it in stock. But you would need a pivitol for extra slamability.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
i got a cheap seat post with a shadow seat bmx .and it is slam down 2mm from the tire sittingduck.my bike is for dirt jumping not sitting down and riden around!
Sheeeit, your bike is for takin' pictures of, I never see you jumpin' it.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: