Quantcast

Slo

Ok, heres the Dealio. I'm starting my first term at Cal Poly this summer. I'll be moving down there late July, and I would like to ride my bike(s) again. I haven't really been riding lately and I'm hoping a change of scenery will help pick things up again. So I have a couple questions, directed at people attending Cal Poly and those that just ride in the area:

This summer I'll be staying in the on-campus dorms. Does anyone have any info about keeping a bike in my room? Is there space or is it even allowed? Starting fall I'll be staying in some off-campus dorms (http://stennerglen.com/) and have the same questions relating to this place if anyone knows anything about it. Second, Does the SLO cycling club "operate" during the Summer Session? If not can anyone give me some info on a good shop to go to and get some help/find people to ride with. etc?

The more general SLO questions:
Whats the riding like in the arena? I have two bikes (SC Heckler and VP-Free) and obviously I doubt I could bring more than one bike down. I find myself riding the VP-Free much more than the Heckler because my riding buddies only have DH and don't like to pedal around. I like DH more but I haven't been riding very much this past year and I'm not sure I can handle the DH trails I've heard of down there. I'm also thinking about selling both bikes and buying one new one, kind of having to due with the fact that I can't take every bike I own down there with me and I don't want my bikes sitting at my house "rotting" more. I also have a road bike that I would like to bring down at some point when I live in a place with more room, and I'm not sure if I could fit 3 bikes no matter where I lived. I guess that was just a long winded way of asking how the XC and DH are around Cal Poly. Keep in mind that I won't have a car for at least the first year down there, so it has to be with reasonable pedaling distance.

Thats all I can think of for right now, thanks for any help you can offer.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
You can keep your bike in your room as long as your roommate is cool with it, pretty much not a problem as long as you keep it on your half. I highly reccomend getting one of the bike lockers on campus so you can bring multiple bikes down. Not sure how much they cost, but I know they are reasonable and you can probably fit like 2 bikes in them.

As for the riding, it is f'in amazing. You will definitely want a DH bike here. There are a ton of DH trails with many varying levels of difficulty. Lots of rocks. Don't worry about not being able to handle the dh trails here, yes there are a few insane (but fun) ones, but there are lots of other ones you can work yourself up on that are challenging but not insane. Everything is also very close to town. You will be able to pedal to quite a few pretty sweet trails.

The wheelmen (cal poly's bike club) doesn't really opperate in the summer, but there are always people around to ride with and we can hook you up with some people who are around.

I go to cal poly right now and am gonna be around all summer so feel free to hit me up whenever you come down and i'll show you around. 408-568-4162. I ride 4-5 times a week mostly DH, but some XC so i'm pretty much down for anything on any day.

Jeff

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
i graduated from that place about a year ago, and my freshman year i kept 2 bikes in my dorm room on campus. stenner glen is a dump get out of there though.

the riding is rad, i'm missing it already. plenty of gnar dh trails, you will definitely need a dh bike. some of my favorite trails are in that town, that's one of the reasons i chose to go to cal poly.

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
i got into the dorms by doing summer school, not sure if they are still guaranteeing you housing if you do summer school. but i would recommend mustang village or murray station or pine creek before stenner glen.. i never lived in stenner glen, just knew people, the cafeteria food there is garbage.
just my 2 cents

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You will be fine w/o a car. You can ride across the town in way less than half a day. Art's Cyclery does shuttle rides on Sunday afternoons and Cambria Bicycle outfitter's does XC rides weekly. I think Foothill Cyclery also does shuttle rides.

Smit-E

Chimp
May 7, 2007
Tahoe, CA
This is my first year at Poly and I'm in the dorms. There are several places to store your bike(s) including your dorm room and bike lockers are located throughout campus. I normally put my bike in the windowsill of my room so it is up and out of the way. You can definitely get around w/o a car in SLO and can make it to many of the trails as well. Also, the campus is pretty good for street riding (or urban assualt if your the freeride dually type) if your into that sort of thing.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
i graduated from that place about a year ago, and my freshman year i kept 2 bikes in my dorm room on campus. stenner glen is a dump get out of there though.

the riding is rad, i'm missing it already. plenty of gnar dh trails, you will definitely need a dh bike. some of my favorite trails are in that town, that's one of the reasons i chose to go to cal poly.
What up D-Fox! What the hell are you doing in Huntington? Riding at all? I've only ridden down there a couple times. If you haven't already, you should check out Mt. Wilson, it's got a rediculously long shuttle outside of Pasadena (hot hot hot in summer). But it was much more fun than I thought anything in LA would be.

And Beyr - bring both bikes. I know quite a few poeple who had more than one bike in their room. If you have to choose one: vp-free. Maybee the heckler when you first move there, untill you meet other people to shuttle with.

And Stoners Den isn't that bad. I lived there, and actually preferred it over the dorms. The management is crappy/lax and you can get away with ton's of stuff. Way more than in the dorms.

Are you doing single room or shared?

The foods not bad either. No cafeteria food could be considered good, so your really not missing out on much.

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
what up sucka,
workin in long beach. oh ya still ridin. i've been meaning to ride at wilson haven't gotten up there yet. laguna hills are too damn good. i've been craving another whistler trip.... its gettin to be that time. you down?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
what up sucka,
workin in long beach. oh ya still ridin. i've been meaning to ride at wilson haven't gotten up there yet. laguna hills are too damn good. i've been craving another whistler trip.... its gettin to be that time. you down?
Whistler some time in August. PM me your email, I'll keep you in the loop.

I'm supposed to go to LA for a wedding sometime this summer. If the schedule works I'll bring my bike and give you a call.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Definitely bring both your road bike and your VP Free. I lived in the tiny red-brick dorms, sharing a room with a nerd, and had my BMX bike, XC bike, slalom hardtail, road and DH bike all packed in there. The trick is only keep like 2 assembled, and toss the wheels, seat, fork, etc. on the less ridden bikes only when you wanna ride them.

I'll be around this summer, I'll show you some trails.

So I just finished my first week of summer school and I'm home for the weekend to work. I'm going to bring my Free down next week to try and get some riding in. Anyone still interested in showing me around? Any suggestions for a good shop to check out?

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
for shops check out arts cyclery on santa barbara st or foothill cyclery. i tend to stay away from cambria but other seem to like it. For finding good trails, PM jefe or bikenweed. theyll show you all the SICK DH stuff.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
also, let me know when youll be around (weekends? etc) im going to make a trip down the coast to SB then to SLO before school starts to ride and ill look ou up

AfroJack

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
San Luis Obispo
D fox you wanna ride next weekend in the OC? I will be down there friday during the day until sunday. My car fits three bikes now - would be five but someone ran my hitch rack over.

Sideshow

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
ay afrojack. are you ross (that right?) with the sunday? if ya, this is scott jeff's buddy from n* with the grey vp free. get your fork fixed man?

AfroJack

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Jeff the fork is still in process at fox - i sheared the rebound cartrige in half. They are currently upgrading the fork to a RC2. While i had the frame stripped down i stripped the paint off it. Should look pretty good when i get all the parts back.

AfroJack

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
San Luis Obispo
well jeff has a bead blasted frame... dont remember if yours is chemically stripped like mine. They are two very different effects. You could always just clear coat yours to be different.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I have been resisting the urge to go craaaaazy with tempra paints and paper maché on the Sunday, but might give in before Whistler.

Nov 29, 2006
When I stayed at Stenner it was way better than the dorms, but the chairs were new, the saunas worked and that was a little over 30 years ago.

As the primary sponsor of my son (he went to CPSLO a few years ago) we were concerned about where to stay that would keep his bikes safe. I think he only had 3 bikes as a freshman. We funded Mustang the first year, specifically a second floor studio thinking that it was harder to break into a room not on the first floor. Stenner rooms weren't big enough for 3 bikes, tools, stand, etc.

The next year we paid for the townhouse behind Mustang. The next 3 years (he always told us he was on the 5 year plan) we funded a room at two different houses.

I'm looking forward to your stories about the gap and face trails. :brows:

Nov 29, 2006
There are sauna's? Where?
The building adjacent to the pool, on the north side of the pool. The leftmost and rightmost doors went to his and hers saunas. I don't recall what is in the center of the building. Probably bathrooms. I think the saunas are now used for storage. I lived at Stenner for 2.5 years spring 1972 through end of school year 1974. The good old days. I miss slo and the slower pace of life. I lived in Fremont Hall fall 1971. I figured out a way to break my lease.

You should have seen the Stenner parking lot when the cars were floating in it as the creek went over the top of foothill.

It was really cool to drive south on 101 under the railroad bridge. The rain was so hard that it was a water fall and you could not see through it.

North bound 101 was closed in front of Madonna Inn, because the creek on the east side was so deep and wide it went all the way to the barrier in the center divide.

The bubble gum wall had no bubble gum on it.

The cigar Factory (bar across the creek from the mission) had a drink that if you could drink two of them the rest of the drinks were on the house. It was called an Adios Mother. The last thing I remember the night I turned 21 was drinking the first one.

Have a great time in SLO. I did, and I'm pretty sure my son did.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
Hey Beyr, good to know youve got your real bike here. Ross (AfroJack) and I ride pretty much every day so if you wanna tag along we can show you some awesome trails.
Jeff