Quantcast

Snow Tires?

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I am thinking of doing the DH race at Stevens Pass for the first time next February. The race is all snow as Stevens Pass is a ski resort. Any recommendation on tires??

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
take a ****ty tire, get sheet metal screws and drill ALOT of screws into it, then tape over them and run a normal tube. ive done it and it works, afterwards go take it to the local frozen pond, it will surprise you how much the spikes work. (and i did a rushed ****ty job)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
h8trz be frontin but I had good luck with my nokian 3.0s at plattekill in light snow. If you're talking 6 inches deep something narrower would be better...but in the 1-2" I could deflate my tires and still get loads of traction. I think I was running 15-20 psi in a 24.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It depends completely on conditions. Sheet metal screws in old mud tires work great on ice, but they will suck in the slush.

The 3.0 gazzy with 5 psi will be the ticket if it's soft.
I won that race the 1st year on flat tires.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It depends completely on conditions. Sheet metal screws in old mud tires work great on ice, but they will suck in the slush.

The 3.0 gazzy with 5 psi will be the ticket if it's soft.
I one that race the 1st year on flat tires.
:stupid:

On most snow conditions, a high volume tire (like a gazzy) you can run at ultra low pressure will be the ticket for the biggest possible contact patch on the snow.

If it's icey, studs all the way.

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
2nd vote for homemade studded tires. I used them 2 seasons in Minnesota at several dhill events. Don't add much if it's slushy but they work well in icy conditions. Takes a while to pre-drill all the holes but they hold up well. Just don't us too tall of a tire or you might get some nasty rubbing on the frame.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
If its like any of the snow races I've attended, I wouldn't overthink it. The course will get so blown up that it'll come down to luck more than set up. I've seen spikes, studs, and just plain old tires win.

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
I rode that race last year and spikes wont do anything dont worry about them. Your best bet is to just get the biggest tire u can and run it at about 5 psi. Its all powder and luck but different and fun plus its nice to get on ur downhill sled on the off season.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
These guys have come up with some great options for snow tires!
Stevens is now allowing skibike (again) atleast for now!
Maybe they'll let me run the race and show you boys how to do it without tires :monkeydance: