Quantcast

SNoW!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
As some of you may know, I am an avid skier, and I figured since California's been getting drenched with rain lately, I might as well check up on the snow reports. I knew that Mammoth Mountain opened last Thursday, but what I didn't know is that they now have 5 FEET OF SNOW. Before Halloween. That's unheard of. When I saw these pics I nearly shat myself. I've got the skiing bug, and it's not even November yet. I don't know how I'll manage to wait until Thanksgiving break to get on the hill.

Opening day:

Yesterday:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
out here in Illionis we call that stuff 'White Sh1t' with no mountains or even hills it just makes us cold, dirty, wet, gets everything all muddy and gross, and causes traffic jams :mad:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
dexterq20 said:
As some of you may know, I am an avid skier, and I figured since California's been getting drenched with rain lately, I might as well check up on the snow reports. I knew that Mammoth Mountain opened last Thursday, but what I didn't know is that they now have 5 FEET OF SNOW. Before Halloween. That's unheard of. When I saw these pics I nearly shat myself. I've got the skiing bug, and it's not even November yet. I don't know how I'll manage to wait until Thanksgiving break to get on the hill.

Opening day:

Yesterday:

THERE'S NOBODY ON IT!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
shut up, here in new hampsire well be lucky if were skiing by chrismas, lucky bastard! :evil:

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
:mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

man here in asheville it hasnt even broken 45 degrees yet and you have 5ft of snow its just not fair. you guys have the biggest freeriding scene and the best snow.

but man 5ft of fresh untouched powder. i wish i wasnt broke so i could get a snowboard.dude im so jelouse.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Now Ben, how the hell can you think of snow when every trail in the SB county is experiencing the best traction you'll see this year? ;) Answer me that! Wanna ride this Sunday?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
Now Ben, how the hell can you think of snow when every trail in the SB county is experiencing the best traction you'll see this year? ;) Answer me that! Wanna ride this Sunday?
Yes I do wanna ride this Sunday; however I'm working, and I also am recovering from a sprained ankle, so unfortunately it ain't gonna happen. Thanks anyways though. We'll ride one of these days, I promise!

SNoW update: In the past 24 hrs, Mammoth received another 2 FEET of fresh powder, bringing the total for October up to 7 feet. :drool:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Mammoth gets good dry snow more often that Tahoe. Although rarely like the crap you turds get out there :eviltongu

Ben how can you call yourself an "avid skier" living about 6 hours from decent snow??? That's almost like those midwest "mountain bikers" who should be called "rolling hill bikers" :p

I wonder if this early season will remain a good season, lawd knows we could use out here!

Maybe I'll have to head up to Tahoe soon...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
punkassean said:
<snip>
I wonder if this early season will remain a good season, lawd knows we could use out here!

Maybe I'll have to head up to Tahoe soon...
Naw - you know damn well your CA good fortune will end with the dreaded 4-letter word........

You don't want me to say it, but I'm going to........

RAIN!!

:D

-S.S.-

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Ouch! We had no say in what offroad cycling was going to be called. Unfortunately, you're right. You'll all be interested to know my local ski area is a 300' landfill. No joke. I guess when you need a snowboard fix, you need a fix. www.mtbrighton.com Kill me. I need to move out of Michigan.

punkassean said:
Ben how can you call yourself an "avid skier" living about 6 hours from decent snow??? That's almost like those midwest "mountain bikers" who should be called "rolling hill bikers" :p

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
punkassean said:
Say what you will, but I got 30 solid days on snow last year. I'm originally from the Bay Area, which is about 2.5 hrs from skiing in Tahoe, yet during my first year in Santa Barbara I got more days skiing than in any of my prior ski seasons. I guess being on the ski team here at UCSB can't hurt. We spend a week at Mammoth over New Years, and another week there over spring break, along with weekend trips to Mammoth every two weeks. And you can't count out winter break either. That's when I go home and spend time in Tahoe. :thumb:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Man, i need my ski fix too and i live 10hrs from the closest ski resort and to get there that fast you need a decent radar dectector.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Sherpa said:
Man, i need my ski fix too and i live 10hrs from the closest ski resort and to get there that fast you need a decent radar dectector.
Arkansas has ski hills within driving distance?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
dexterq20 said:
Say what you will, but I got 30 solid days on snow last year. I'm originally from the Bay Area, which is about 2.5 hrs from skiing in Tahoe, yet during my first year in Santa Barbara I got more days skiing than in any of my prior ski seasons. I guess being on the ski team here at UCSB can't hurt. We spend a week at Mammoth over New Years, and another week there over spring break, along with weekend trips to Mammoth every two weeks. And you can't count out winter break either. That's when I go home and spend time in Tahoe. :thumb:
When was the last time it took 2.5 hours to get to Tahoe?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
We'll get about 3 inches sometime around late January!!!!

The kid's will be out of school rolling around in slush ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Damn True said:
When was the last time it took 2.5 hours to get to Tahoe?
well for me it was april 20th 1996...

"twas a bluebird day at lovely Kirkwood, I can still remember like it was yesterday. We got up (as usual) at 5am left at 5:30 pinned it in the Celica at 100-120 through the dark, 15 min stop to install chains, arrive at Kirkwood in time for first chair.

Then came the boom... :dead:

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
If you gonna ski you better have a belt in between.. And prefably long suspension and a bigass motor..

You can make loooooong jumps in the powder..

Or you can ask me to hook you up with a pair of theese :D

So you can ride all winter long.. You can make stoppies with theese on solid hard ice ;) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dexterq20 said:
Arkansas has ski hills within driving distance?
Colorado. Denver is about 10hrs hauling ass but more realistically its 11 hrs to Denver and 13 hrs to Vail/Keystone areas. Or Taos where they don't allow ice makers.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Thats what I was wondering...and I sat here thinking...ok...dry conditions all the way...no traffic...must be on the very very edge of what could be considered the bay area...still...no way...:confused:

You could if you were stung by a bee in your bonnet. :D

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
me89 said:
:mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

man here in asheville it hasnt even broken 45 degrees yet and you have 5ft of snow its just not fair. you guys have the biggest freeriding scene and the best snow.

but man 5ft of fresh untouched powder. i wish i wasnt broke so i could get a snowboard.dude im so jelouse.
precisely why i love it here.