Quantcast

Snowshoe 2021

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Sik Mik announced he’s retiring.

Cant say I didn’t see it coming, not like he’s really been a factor for the last few years, but he’s one of those guys I always enjoy watching race. Everybody and their brother gets called a legend these days, but he actually is one in my book.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
My memory may be fading, but I'm pretty sure I watched him win the pro downhill and slalom at the Big Bear NORBA in 1999... at age 17.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sik Mik announced he’s retiring.

Cant say I didn’t see it coming, not like he’s really been a factor for the last few years, but he’s one of those guys I always enjoy watching race. Everybody and their brother gets called a legend these days, but he actually is one in my book.
given tracy retired last season its even less surprising.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gwin is at Snowshoe, but is not racing.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I love to hear what the foreigners (Euros/Aussies/etc.) say and do when they get here to the states. It's always amusing to see, to them, what is just "so American"! LOL

I remember one year, maybe it was Windham, and they had a BBQ stand, and they interviewed some of the Euros and they were like "why is there so much sugar in this sauce, gross!" :D

Bernard's Pivot crew has it all figured out with renting the giant Nissan Titan, the Bass Pro shop and Walmart stop. 'merica!

How weird is the experience when the resort "base" is at the top of the hill and not at the bottom? That's just weird. Or is it just West Virginia?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love to hear what the foreigners (Euros/Aussies/etc.) say and do when they get here to the states. It's always amusing to see, to them, what is just "so American"! LOL

I remember one year, maybe it was Windham, and they had a BBQ stand, and they interviewed some of the Euros and they were like "why is there so much sugar in this sauce, gross!" :D

Bernard's Pivot crew has it all figured out with renting the giant Nissan Titan, the Bass Pro shop and Walmart stop. 'merica!

How weird is the experience when the resort "base" is at the top of the hill and not at the bottom? That's just weird. Or is it just West Virginia?

It is a culture shock for me when I visit my father in West Virginia, and I lived in (civilized) Virginia for 16 years.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the last time i was at my late great grandfathers farm deep in WVA it was like stepping back in time at least half a century.
Before she retired my step mother was a middle school teacher there and she said she had a few parents show up for Parent-Teacher conferences without shoes, and not because it was a nice summer day, but because they never wore shoes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Before she retired my step mother was a middle school teacher there and she said she had a few parents show up for Parent-Teacher conferences without shoes, and not because it was a nice summer day, but because they never wore shoes.
my great grandfather was a coal miner and subsistence farmer. his house didn't have indoor plumbing until around 1990.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What did they do for work/food? How did they get around? And what about the winter time?

I can understand this in a tropical village, but not so much in America. Anyway, Americans, know thyself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
my great grandfather was a coal miner and subsistence farmer. his house didn't have indoor plumbing until around 1990.
There are a lot of people like that who now have a bunch of money from gas/fracking leases on their land.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What did they do for work/food? How did they get around? And what about the winter time?

I can understand this in a tropical village, but not so much in America. Anyway, Americans, know thyself.
I have the same questions

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

andora 2008 was also on the top of the hill.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Geez that track looks chunky. That jump between the trees reminds me of the dodgy course features we have here in Oz. Whats the weather forecast for the race?

I reckon if there was one overseas WC I'd love to go spectate for the atmosphere it would be Snowshoe.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Also said that Snowshoe is his

I was born in Elkins, WV and lived in a house with no electricity, no indoor plumbing and a coal stove for heating in the winter before moving to the Left Coast in 4th grade.

The country folk out there did it all themselves; grew and hunted their own food, built their own houses, etc. Many times their job was simply life and surviving it. Walking was how you got around (not much free time to go anywhere that far), there were usually a few cars in the "neighborhood" for emergency use. And boots in the winter for sure!

WV is a beautiful state, unfortunately large areas have been ruined by the coal industry, and lots of the population by opiates. Seems like it's trying to make a comeback by embracing outdoor recreation as a source of income as of late.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I hope none of you are bizutch on Vital. That dude is wedged pretty far up Gwin's awesome crack.

Last edited: