Quantcast

Snowshoe Marathon Review

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
8/18/05 NORBA Nationals Marathon @ Snowshoe WV

A few minutes after the start it began to rain, and the rain continued almost the whole race, sometimes heavy. Temperatures @ 3800-4800' altitude were around 60 degrees F all day. Fog was so heavy that a marshal asked me how we could even race. Trails were wet, rooty, muddy.

First and second place pros (Trek/VW) averaged 10 mph. Third place pro averaged 8 mph. I averaged 5 mph, finishing in just over 8 hours. Finishing got me 1st place 40-49 age group. I understand the finisher rate, including pros, was about 78%.

I actually enjoyed the racing, even though I spent a fair amount of time pushing. To me it was a much more satisfying race than a two or 2-1/2 hour XC race.

The event was very well run, with a water station placed at an intersection that you passed twice each lap. If you had a cooler or snack bag they brought it out to the water station for you. I really appreciate them keeping scoring open late so that everyone who hadn't quit could finish. A big thanks to all the volunteers who stood out on the mountains in the rain all day manning checkpoints/water stations. I heard two reports of black bear sitings, and I had a total of seven deer jump out in front of me.

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Wish my adventure would have went as well. I had two flats on my rental bike as United Airlines decided to leave my trek in Chicago. Walked out after about 12miles, in the rain, freezing. NOT FUN.

The organization of the marathon was good with course Marshall's everywhere, but after one 24hr, part of a Marathon, and part of an XC race I have decided that the XC trails at snowshoe are not worth riding. Heck they might be great if they are dry, but I do not believe they are ever dry.

Congrats on the finish, that shows true determination. BRAVO!!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Chris01 said:
Wish my adventure would have went as well. I had two flats on my rental bike as United Airlines decided to leave my trek in Chicago. Walked out after about 12miles, in the rain, freezing. NOT FUN.

The organization of the marathon was good with course Marshall's everywhere, but after one 24hr, part of a Marathon, and part of an XC race I have decided that the XC trails at snowshoe are not worth riding. Heck they might be great if they are dry, but I do not believe they are ever dry.

Congrats on the finish, that shows true determination. BRAVO!!
That sucks chris and all the preparation we did the weekend before? You should have been able to FLY through the course :)
i have a paid slot for whislter next weekend if you wana fly up and race as me.