Quantcast

Snowshoe race #1 downhill course info!!

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
They showed us the slalom course, now does anyone have any info on what the downhill course is going to be like? because its killing me inside!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
no way man! in fact they are going to change it right before the first race run as well just to keep the whole thing interesting.

to be honest i have no clue. i just hope ninja bob is part of the beginner course

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Nobody likes a trail tease. Details?
Ninja Bob brought his trail machine up this spring to build a new trail to bring you to Ball-n-the-Jack since STP road got shutdown for ski slope construction.

You drop down the old sport course or Cupp Cake and then take a hard right up the "sewer bench" over to the entrance to "Ninja Bob" trail.

Lot's of fun Brad Stone (tm) signature berms and a couple little rock drops. It's really fun. It's also the fastest I've ever seen a trail burn in at the 'shoe. It was fresh cut the week before opening weekend and was packed in by Sat pm.

It drops you out right at the entrance to Ball-n-the-Jack or the lower Sport course to Sweet Dreams and Powerline.

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
rode it last weekend countless times with the locals...it's mainly the first course from last years series, but with a section added. Times should be anywhere from 5.5 to 6 minutes. Very fast too, I believe that the bottom part or finish wasn't set in stone either.
You're either going back under the lift or through the old section full of roots near the old connector trail.
Fitness will definitely be a factor on this one...

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
actually no one has ever ridden the top we just built it this week. the start will be in a location different from any other dh start in snowshoe history. look for some surprises on peoples faces. we've developed some very cool lines which have added about another .5 mile of trail and maybe a jump or two and a very cool new twist to our dh course for this race!! this course has lots of lift line action for friendly spectating/heckling. middle section is a section that most people have never before seen. ending will be high speed dh racing. as always fitness, focus, and line selection will be a part of this big mountain 5-6 minute race course. super pumped!!

i don't have a camera- just an excavator and that doesn't take pictures so i don't have any at the moment. sorry about that..

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
rode it last weekend countless times with the locals...it's mainly the first course from last years series, but with a section added. Times should be anywhere from 5.5 to 6 minutes. Very fast too, I believe that the bottom part or finish wasn't set in stone either.
You're either going back under the lift or through the old section full of roots near the old connector trail.
Fitness will definitely be a factor on this one...
your pictures on chainsmoke are awesome!!

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
actually no one has ever ridden the top we just built it this week. the start will be in a location different from any other dh start in snowshoe history. look for some surprises on peoples faces. we've developed some very cool lines which have added about another .5 mile of trail and maybe a jump or two and a very cool new twist to our dh course for this race!! this course has lots of lift line action for friendly spectating/heckling. middle section is a section that most people have never before seen. ending will be high speed dh racing. as always fitness, focus, and line selection will be a part of this big mountain 5-6 minute race course. super pumped!!

i don't have a camera- just an excavator and that doesn't take pictures so i don't have any at the moment. sorry about that..
so where is the start going to be?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Please tell me that this new middle section under the lift is nothing like that cluster F of a course at the the 2002 or 2003 National. Seriously, I would rather race my bike at a truck mud bog race.

With regards to this new trail, sounds awesome and I am excited to ride it next weekend. But I thought no one that rode at Snowshoe liked machine built trails. something about that they were for wusses, real riders like rocks. ;) Then why did the trail get burned in the fastest? Hmmm :)

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
Please tell me that this new middle section under the lift is nothing like that cluster F of a course at the the 2002 or 2003 National. Seriously, I would rather race my bike at a truck mud bog race.
never said the middle was under the lift but, a lot of the rest of the course is. sounds like you had some problems with that section though.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
never said the middle was under the lift but, a lot of the rest of the course is. sounds like you had some problems with that section though.

I think everyone had some problems with the huge backups in both practice and the race due to the flat mud bog of a course. You can still see the line under the lift.

It was featured in Travis Pastrana's Nitro Circus movie for about 5 minutes.

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Brad showed us the whole damn thing this weekend. It is extremely long...moto-timer runs came in anywhere from 6:09 to 6:15.
You must be fit for this one...it's going to hurt coming across the finish line :brows:

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
It is very similar to a tough Super D, for sure...the new traverse across the top section is a bitch.
You have to come into it high to make it work. Other than that is super fun. Did I mention it was longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg :drool:

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
2, a new one on top...smooth but into a loose right hand corner and back across the slope...and then the second one you did last year.
The one close to the entrance of Hare Ball and Quick Draw...Brad mentioned that the top one would be open to the expert class guys, but he didn't say anything about the second big one.
I assume you Pro guys have to do both like last year.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
can someone from Snowshoe confirm that the whole course is downhill. With rain in the forecast for this weekend, we don't want an uphill mudbog.

Last edited:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
There's one flat section that could be easily taken out of the course if it get's too muddy. Other than that it should be fun.

I've dubbed the new section at the top off of Cupp Cake the "Garden Path." It's all gravel and paver stones through the woods. It's just what it reminds me of.