Quantcast

Snowshoe race pics

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
yea, I forgot the name. I was talkin to a guy at Wisp that owns a Condo at Snowshoe and he was telling me all these things that have changed since they bought the place. He said he's considering selling it now at a loss just cause he thinks that SS is only going to get worse.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Snowshoe will always be that "epic" mountain that I will always go to for a good DH thrashing, wet or dry it doesn't matter. More trails? They already have what like, 20 trails or so on the basin side and a ton on the western side, why need more? What I like about snowshoe is that when I'm on a trail, I'm on that trail for good and don't have to worry about crossing paths with other trails. They have an established program and a great race series with awesome payout or schwag. I couldn't really ask for more; even after visiting tons of different resorts all summer, Snowshoe is my favorite by far. :)

Agree'd and i dont think any of us are proposing massive increases in the number of trails just that the ones there are PRIME.

How long have we been hearing about the powerline ext? 2 years?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
the dynamic there is insane. They built out a trail system for only advanced riders and it's coming back to haunt them.
Maintenance on the Western Territory side alone I can only imagine would be massive and epic...because there is really no way to "groom" with machines on existing trails except Powerline.

The beginner trail on the basin side is intended to help us all in the long run by planting the seed in a new generation of riders. KIDS! Kids use that trail, get their parents to use it and it snowballs from there.

Take a look at the bunny slope at a major resort...and then the intermediate slope to get your answer as to what will make that park successful.

Long term, durable, sustainable, introductory trails are going to be the only thing that saves Snowshoe in the big picture. A-Line is the #1 ran trail in all of the world in terms of total mileage logged. 90% of Snowshoe is way over the heads of the casual or even intermediate rider. Until beginner trails are fully developed and maintainable there, they are doomed to failure.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
I rode yew pine the new beginner trail. its pretty nice except its really pedally. its fun for a beginner but it wont turn them away from mountain biking, so then when a beginner asks at the mac which trail to go down they dont say, the fire roads to the bottom of the mountain, or "which trail is easiest to ride in the wet" uhh all of them.

i think m to o is alot of fun and isnt very steep or scary but it can be ridden scary fast.

yew pine is nice and wide and groomed like whistler trails with long ladder bridges that are really wide. there are some uphill bits to keep people from going to fast on it. not really climbs but it just kind of flows. you know what i mean?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
100% agree here, the first time i rode snowshoe it was on trail A right after it was cut and it had rained the night before. I dont claim to be a pro, but i know what im doing on a bike and that trail made me feel like a mental retard my first run. The place is built for very advanced riders (this forum group might not agree because i like to think we are all pretty advanced) but if you are trying to get an xc rider into the sport they most likely arent used to that type of gnar.

The well groomed trails will really help the mountain, the new one sounds a bit to easy at this point. I think A line is successful because everyone can ride it, it is fun for beginners and pro's because you can absolute storm down the trail or roll all the hits. Snowshoe is a beautiful mountain and I think people will love to come ride the place if the trails are built to allow them to do so.

In regards to the comment above about having enough trails, they do have alot but they need to keep it changing to want to keep riders coming back.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Random question - can you take STP all the way down to where it meets the rock garden trail that goes back to powerline or would that route involve some climbing?

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
if you ask the shuttle bus drivers, they will drop you off where the STP road dumps out on snowshoe drive, a couple hundered yards above the overlook. take stp road downhill about 1/6 of a mile and rock garden is right there on your right. I do this several times each weekend that i am up there. THere is also a really fun, and relatively fast trail that drops into the mountain from the overlook on snowshoe drive (below where stp road meets SS drive). i love rock garden because it can be ridden really fast, and the rock garden section is supper loose and wet, definatly a high pucker factor when you hit that thing with any sort of speed.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
nothing like hitting rock garden at warp speed, then realizing that you shot from one side of the trail completely to the other in about 5 feet. Scares the bejeesus out of me every time, but is so fun.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I was going to take pics of trails but they are so fun you dont want to stop, I took geeker on the pro DH course that leads to that huge hip thing and he found out