Quantcast

So chances are I'm going to get a...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Lizard0fthetrai
Road bike.

To get faster and acquire more endurance for sprints and also climbing (rock climbing...cardio is a big plus)

Anyhow, I'm looking at the Jamis Quest and the Trek 1500...any thoughts? Suggestions?
i was and still am on the same boat as you, but i got a digicam instead of a road bike...

After the research i did, stick with Campy Centaur for medium budget as for frame... steel or ti for longetivity, or allu/carbon, but as serial midget informed me, allu/carbon frames are not yet tested for long term durability (more than 4 yrs).

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
How dare you post this in the DH forum:mad:

Take a time out and think about what you've done. We'll be waiting for an apology:o:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Road bike.

To get faster and acquire more endurance for sprints and also climbing (rock climbing...cardio is a big plus)

Anyhow, I'm looking at the Jamis Quest and the Trek 1500...any thoughts? Suggestions?
Trek is usually a pretty good buy. What frame material is it? Are they still using the SL aluminum in that frame?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ah ok...for some reason I thought you guys mentioned something about campy components. Shimano all the way. Tough choice between the two.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ah ok...for some reason I thought you guys mentioned something about campy components. Shimano all the way. Tough choice between the two.

Usually Trek will tell you that their frames are higher quality which compensates for the lower components. I believe them in certain cases.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by math2014
No, campy all the way....

after all, campy wears in, shimano wears out.
If you like your road bikes to be quiet, Shimano is where it's at. For mountain bikes, Rohloff all the way! :D

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Buy one of last years Giant TCR 2's if you can find one. Full 105 group, a lighter and just as good frame as trek, clipless pedals and a very nice carbon fork. This year the only aluminum TCR you can buy is ultegra spec, so its probably out of the price range. I've owned two TCRS and was very happy with the ride and handling of both of them. I currently ride a colomubus steel specialized Allez Elite, which rides very smooth and comes with full 105, carbon fork, and carbon seatpost for 1300. I hate the way trek aluminum frames feel, I'd stay away from the trek, but the Jamis is very respectable.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The parts spec on the Jamis is ill...
I have a Jamis Quest and I really like it. Reynolds 631 Steel - Mavic Cosmos wheelset and 105 throughout. I think the 2004 specs are even better if memory serves me well (which lately it hasn't!).

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Steel is the only way to go.
1)comfort(absorbs vibration and bumps)
2)lasts longer
3)did I mention comfort
4)those are reason enough for me.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Agreed, shimano is smoother and quiter, but campy is more long lasting...

comparing a campy freewheel to a shimano one is like comparing XT with Hadley or CK
Yeah but I prefer the shimano shifter/lever more.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Lexx D
Yeah but I prefer the shimano shifter/lever more.
Fair enough, preferences are preferences.

I agree with you on choosing steel or Ti for roadbikes, the thin walled alluminum tubes on roadies scare me for longetivity... on mtbs ...its a different story though.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Fair enough, preferences are preferences.

I agree with you on choosing steel or Ti for roadbikes, the thin walled alluminum tubes on roadies scare me for longetivity... on mtbs ...its a different story though.
The durability is an issue. For me it's the comfort, alum. bikes can be way to harsh for most peoples needs. Yeah they sprint and put the power down but unless you race i'd rather have something i look forward to riding long distance.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Lexx D
The durability is an issue. For me it's the comfort, alum. bikes can be way to harsh for most peoples needs. Yeah they sprint and put the power down but unless you race i'd rather have something i look forward to riding long distance.
Agreed again, can we hug now?

I was having comfort issues with an alloy XC hardtail...so i dont want to imagine how i would be on an alloy roadie.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
i vote Marinoni . wide verity in frames. your choice of paint, your choice of groupo, hand welded in quebec canada! i want the leggero, ummmm steel.

oh ya, CAMPI!!!! is better IMO. it just has a nice solid clunk when it shifts. common you know its best! ;)

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
shimano is bull crap when it comes to road stuff. Man i was at the shop today, even the campy with plastic levers is better. when you grab the shimano levers they move sideways; like WTF? i'm not talking about improper set up i'm talking about an idiotic pivot. but if it works for you, you save money. what can you do :rolleyes: . I know, vintage downtube shifters:D

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
If you want to pay 3 times what you have to for the same quality, get Campy. Otherwise, Shimano will do fine. In Greece, maybe the prices are different but in the US it's simply not worth the dough if you have price in mind.

Steel is real as they say, and as long as you're not super concerned with weight it will be a great frame material choice. I've got a Steel/Carbon frame and love it.

I rode an Al C'dale for a couple years and it was not a supple ride, but it sure was light.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by CreeP
shimano is bull crap when it comes to road stuff. Man i was at the shop today, even the campy with plastic levers is better. when you grab the shimano levers they move sideways; like WTF? i'm not talking about improper set up i'm talking about an idiotic pivot. but if it works for you, you save money. what can you do :rolleyes: . I know, vintage downtube shifters:D
They're supposed to do that:confused: You shift by pushing the lever in.
Campy's cheap stuff sucks! You can get a bike with some ultegra for the price of low end campy. It's preference i know but we were a big bianchi dealer and i hated working with cheap campy! Plastic levers on an $1000 steal bike:confused: WTF!

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
It's different on MTBs? :confused:
I guess, if you mean you're meant to replace your MTB frame every few years, then longevity isn't as much an issue.

IMO, go the Jamis... sweet bike for the $ And the difference between Shimano and Campag? Well, you'd just have to test ride both and see what has the best feel to you. If only SRAM made road gear :cool:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Originally posted by CreeP
shimano is bull crap when it comes to road stuff
Works awesome on my slalom, trials, and dh bikes. The road stuff that is. It works acceptably on my road bike as well but Ive never ridden campy and Im not too good with keeping it maintained so I dont really know.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Always go by fit. The different brands have very different geometry. Go to a shop with a wide selection and get a fitting. The more you ride, the more you will notice the fit. Road riding is repetitive motion withou much change. On a mountain bike, you are always moving all over. If you are going to notice any "bio mechanical" issues, the odds are much higher that you will notice them on a road bike. As far as components go, I don't know much about Campy, but 105 is a great all-around do anything group. Mountain bike fit leaves a lot of room for personal preference. Road bikes leave almost none. Buy a road bike based more on fit and less on brand. This is coming from my years of shop experience.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Rik
I guess, if you mean you're meant to replace your MTB frame every few years, then longevity isn't as much an issue.

IMO, go the Jamis... sweet bike for the $ And the difference between Shimano and Campag? Well, you'd just have to test ride both and see what has the best feel to you. If only SRAM made road gear :cool:
It is different imho, i got more than 1mm wall thickness throughout my frame (mtb) so i dont see it going anytime soon. In fact i saw an old intense M1 (pre-FSR M1) and it was in top condition although it was raced for several seasons. Granted that i dont do any drops of more than 2-3 ft and not any jumps...i dont expect an mtb frame to fail me. However i will replace it after some years for a newer design...not due to fatigue life.

As for campy prices... Greece is one of the worst markets for cycling products in the World.... i am living in the UK so here, i am better off getting campy. A chorus is equal to dura-ace both in price and quality... so... if it is going to last longer then i ll just get a chorus.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Originally posted by Rik

Well....sram makes road chains and cassettes :)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yo, MR Lizard
Good choice on going with a roadbike, out of your two choices I'd go with the Jamis, no doubt. Don't get fooled into thinking 631 is going to be any better than whatever alloy alpha aluminum is though.
Reynolds first released 631 in the 70's and by todays standards it might as well be stove-piping.
I bought my dad a Jamis quest a few years ago with similar parts spec.
It works well enough for him, but the frame does feel kind of "dead" and definetly has a pretty harsh ride when compared to either a steel bike with a dedaci rear end (like some of the IF's i've owned) or a quality aluminum bike like a Cannondale Optimo (my Optimo is by far the best road bike I've ever ridden, and i go through roadbikes like some people go through chains, and i go through chains like some people go through waterbottles).

The 1500 has ****ty spec, but contrary to what other folks here are saying it's going to be a considerably more comfortable frame. And if it's too "hard" just run 25's instead of 23's as tire size, design and pressure makes far more difference than frame material when it comes to ride comfort.

Climbing hihger onto my soapbox I now want to warn all 5 dh'ers reading about roadbikes on Ridemonkey to beware the dreaded carbon rear end! HYPE!!!!!!!!!