Quantcast

so i'm going to build a SS roadie

not a fixie, just a SS road bike. i'm goign to try to find an older steel frame with those semi-horizontal front entry dropouts, or a bike with regular horizontal dropouts. i'd like to find one with a 1 1/8 head tube, but i don't suppose they exist? any tips for the buildup? gearing, cranks, bars? flats or drops?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Cash-Money said:
not a fixie, just a SS road bike. i'm goign to try to find an older steel frame with those semi-horizontal front entry dropouts, or a bike with regular horizontal dropouts. i'd like to find one with a 1 1/8 head tube, but i don't suppose they exist? any tips for the buildup? gearing, cranks, bars? flats or drops?
Yeah, good luck on finding that combination -- unless you can find something that's newish-old -- maybe a Crosscheck? I think you're going to find either 1" threaded or track dropouts.

But no reason to be a pessimist.

I've found 42x16 to be a good ratio for riding just about everywhere (fixed, admittedly). If you're strong, it's flat, or you hate your knees, you can gear up?

Cranks -- yeah, get whatever you want/can find cheap. Unlikely a fixie, you don't even need to worry about getting shorter cranks because you won't have crank strike problems or have particular worries about 'spin'

Bars. I've done both. I've got enough road experience that drop bars were my choice. On my SS MTB commuter I've used both cruiser and those new Mary bars and like 'em both.

And whatever you do, get a flip-flop hub that will take a fixed cog (most will these days -- they need that extra step for the lock ring) -- everyone's got to try fixed at some point.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I am pretty much in agreement...I am doing exactly what you are talking about. Cranks you may want to look for the longest ones you can get ahold of for a little extra leverage.

Bars - I am gonna try bullhorns (maybe thats what Mary bars means) Chucksbikes.com has syntace bullhorns or their house brand for under $20. Plus plug-type brake levers are hella cheap at pricepoint.com....

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Mary bars are one of the new bars from On-One: linky

They're kindof like a riser bar that been run over and smashed. They look gooney but are great for the commuter riding.

Oh, yeah. Bullhorns. another popular choice. Some might argue bull horns are just drop bars where you never use the drops. Whatever. And they've got courier cred.

I might disagree with the longer crank suggestion. That makes a lot of sense for off-road SS where you're going to be climbing/going over rocks/etc where you need to stand on the pedals and get some serious torque. On the road, it's all about spin, so a longer arm just translates to a bigger circle for your foot, which may or may not comfortable. And there's the pedal strike problem, of course.

so i just finished it, with the exception ofi a rear brake. it's pretty badass if i say so myself. i'll take pics as soon as the digicam gets home from dallas. i'm running a 44x16, but i think that might be a little heavy, its a 2.75:1 ratio. i'm goign to try and ride it tomorrow, weather permiting, and we'll see. I may have to drop it down untill i get in better shape. anyone have a 5x110 38/40t ring they don't need?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Cash-Money said:
so i just finished it, with the exception ofi a rear brake. it's pretty badass if i say so myself. i'll take pics as soon as the digicam gets home from dallas. i'm running a 44x16, but i think that might be a little heavy, its a 2.75:1 ratio. i'm goign to try and ride it tomorrow, weather permiting, and we'll see. I may have to drop it down untill i get in better shape. anyone have a 5x110 38/40t ring they don't need?
sweet! hey FYI I dont know if you are still running your quill stem or not (1" threaded) but here is an adapter so you can use any regular mtn stem.... I may have that ring you are looking for too let me check it out tonight.

Just converted a Puch pathfinder from 1980 last night! Couldn't afford bullhorns yet so I flipped my drops and cut them off like bullhorns. Got new bar end levers and tape in the mail! I'm psyched!

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I'm with you on the need for a road SS (maybe a fixie).I am a lazy slug and I ordered a Specialized Langster rather than build/find one. If I am lucky, it might be here today.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
anybody got a lead on some cheap SS roadie wheelsets? My Araya steel rims both need trued and I was just thinking of throwing that money at something lighter....

Jul 5, 2005
Cash-Money said:
i put like 60$ into mine, and 10$ of it was paint. honestly, i am trying to get pics, my dad is being lazy
yeah the 100 bucks was just the trip to the shop. paint and prep stuff was probably 20 bucks or so, i had a new shimano bb sitting around at home. probably more than it's worth but it's a blast to ride.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I got my Langster and have put in some miles over the last week. I have it geared at 39x16. The hills around here are short and STEEP. I have only run into one hill that I couldn't climb with this gearing and I was close to making the top before I ran out of legs. It is definitely makeable, just not at my current fitness level. There is one steeper hill around here. Once I clear that one, then I am going to throw a fixed cog on the other side of the hub.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Cash-Money said:
i love the mallets on there, so you can just hop on it in regular shoes if need be
Yeah, it is my commuter bike also. I needed a pedal that was compatible with flip-flops too. :thumb:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I wanted to keep the chain short. It feels snappier on climbs (but sketchier on descents). :thumb:

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
DNA said:
I got my Langster and have put in some miles over the last week. I have it geared at 39x16. The hills around here are short and STEEP. I have only run into one hill that I couldn't climb with this gearing and I was close to making the top before I ran out of legs. It is definitely makeable, just not at my current fitness level. There is one steeper hill around here. Once I clear that one, then I am going to throw a fixed cog on the other side of the hub.

Nice Langster! I've been looking at one of those myself. May I ask how tall you are and what size you got? Also, how is the ride of the alu frame?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Colin said:
Nice Langster! I've been looking at one of those myself. May I ask how tall you are and what size you got? Also, how is the ride of the alu frame?
No worries. I am 5'11" with short legs (30" inseam) and I got a 54 cm. It fits well but looks small. I think that is due to the compact geometry thing. The frame/fork is a little rough but won't totally kill you on a 40 mile ride. i got some of those Bontrager Buzzkills and they really do take off some of the harshness of the ride. It is a nice ride, but I would look at getting an IRO if your shop is sticking you with full retail price.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
DNA said:
No worries. I am 5'11" with short legs (30" inseam) and I got a 54 cm. It fits well but looks small. I think that is due to the compact geometry thing. The frame/fork is a little rough but won't totally kill you on a 40 mile ride. i got some of those Bontrager Buzzkills and they really do take off some of the harshness of the ride. It is a nice ride, but I would look at getting an IRO if your shop is sticking you with full retail price.
A 54cm, really? I am 5'10" with shorter legs, too; I think a 32" inseam. I wasn't sure which size: 54 or 56cm. Do you have any toe-overlap problems? A local shop has the older 'Pro' model in a 54cm, but it isn't drilled for brakes like the lower-specced model.

Cool bike me thinks.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Colin said:
A 54cm, really? I am 5'10" with shorter legs, too; I think a 32" inseam. I wasn't sure which size: 54 or 56cm. Do you have any toe-overlap problems?
Yeah, that is a tough call on size. The 56cm with a shorter stem might be the way to go. I have a good bit of seatpost showing, but the reach is just right.

I don't have overlap problems with riding shoes/clipless. This bike is also my commuter, so I ride it in regular shoes a bunch too. A lot times, I hit my toes on the front wheel when trying to trackstand at a stoplight. It has never been a problem when riding. Hope that helps.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would go for a 56. I'm 5' 9" and I've got a 57 cm Specialized road bike (different model but similar sizing). I do have long legs though.

J

JRB

I need brake levers and calipers and a tensioner. Should I get a Melvin and run a 53/39 with a 20tooth cog???