Quantcast

So I've been doing some yard work...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Not trying to jump on the coat tails of some of the other lads on this forum, but I finally convinced the wife that digging up the backyard really was a good idea :D

It has taken me roughly the last three weekends (digging solo and doing some raking and such as well) but I pretty much have things the way I want them. Sadly it is currently snowing and the ground has been a bit wet, but my hope is that it will freeze up and I can get some laps in (I have been riding it as much as possible to make sure things work, but softness impedes some things).

Anyway, I'll walk you through it. Sorry the pics don't really do the thing justice but I was sorta in a hurry and its a tight space.

Starting out, get two cranks from my backdoor into the first roller, then decision maker filled in double. We will start by going straight into the hip to the right.

Then carve hard around the first, and largest berm...

... to a pair of roller and the second hip.

(also, if you would have gone to the left on the decision maker you would be here as well)

Jump the hip, roller, tight berm, roller to...

... the second decision maker. Jump to the left and you are going into the first berm, or go straight into the lip of the first hip.

If you go straight it takes you over a long filled in dub (was going to be a shorter step but that tree to the left had some burly roots. I broke to steel Fiskar shovels try to get through the next berm). The super tight berm takes you over a roller that sorta hips into the first roller and your back at the start.

Like I said, little tweaks, but right now its super fun. Tight on my 20" and doable on my 24", I would not be as excited on a 26". Anyway, just wanted to share.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thank, I try to tell her that, maybe she will come around :-)

So far not an issue. I may have to tackle that more later, but the ground, probably because of the tree is thirsty and it sucks up fast, no standing water anyplace, even after rain. I am probably going to "Soiltac" it next year so I don't have to wash my dog every time he comes out (he loves it btw, he tears all over the place).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
does she have a sister?

im sure water will fill that place up unfortunately... sooner or later....
and will soiltac help with water absorption too?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Lol, she does but she is getting married, MOVE FAST!

I have some ideas for drainage if necessary, at this point I want to see what happens with the winter and all (BTW, in the time it took to do the post the whole yard is white with snow, Wisconsin weather for ya). The Soiltac would help water run off of it, from the way I understand it, water won't penetrate. Depending on that we will see if some drain tile or something will be needed.

Anyway, water will sit at the low parts of the berm, right, I don't plan to be down there :biggrin:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
thats cool mang. I know it really doesn't matter but how are the neighbors?
that's a cute little shed you have there as well.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thanks, it came with the house, but I'm not complaining, its awesome for storing all the stuff for the yard and stowing things for the winter (not to mention it matches the house and garage, which is awesome!).

My neighbors to the right have no idea, the privacy fence sorta does its job, to the left my neighbors are awesome, they actually think its super cool and are always checking in to see how its going (not to mention wanting to see me ride it, I'm not much of a show man, though, so they will have to catch me in the act).

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Wow! I hope you can enjoy all your hard work before snow sets in. It looks like
fun. Will look forward to seeing you ride it. Mum

I guess I logged into RM on my mom's computer cuz now she is posting under my name, weird.

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Really nice layout. The pics make it look like a lot of fun. Seems like mini trails vs. a pump track which is cool.