Quantcast

So my next dh rig will be??

rbx

Monkey
hey guys need input on my next dh rig choice..

My riding style is as follows
-like a train going down the forest! i like taking the ugliest shortest lines.(call me the plowKing:D )
-I like drifting and the high speed stuff
-i will keep pedalling thru anything(so minimal chain growth)
-i like very active braking

My physique
-5' 8"
-very muscular
-185lbs

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Are you still in Québec?

If so, you should not get what fits your above description and try to find a very manoeuvrable (is that an english word?) bike. Your description of your riding style will push you to get a long and slack bike...but for the terrain you'll ride (MSA I presume), a quick and short bike with tons of standover is more appropriate.

Some people may not agree, but the terrain you ride is more important than your riding style IMO.

I would check:
- Balfa BB7
- Turner DHR
- Chumba-Wumba F4
- Devinci Wilson

:)

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by FlipSide
Are you still in Québec?

If so, you should not get what fits your above description and try to find a very manoeuvrable (is that an english word?) bike. Your description of your riding style will push you to get a long and slack bike...but for the terrain you'll ride (MSA I presume), a quick and short bike with tons of standover is more appropriate.

Some people may not agree, but the terrain you ride is more important than your riding style IMO.

I would check:
- Balfa BB7
- Turner DHR
- Chumba-Wumba F4
- Devinci Wilson

:)
thanks flipside yes im still in quebec and your right MSA does require a shorter bike but even in my MSA i found myself going faster on slacker bikes...go figure i guess i just got used to them:)

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by rbx

-like a train going down the forest! i like taking the ugliest shortest lines.(call me the plowKing:D )

My physique
-5' 8"
-very muscular
-185lbs
Sounds like your describing Rennie, and the IH seemed to work QUITE well for him and Sam last season. Maybe it'd be worth a look?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Originally posted by rbx

My physique
-5' 8"
-very muscular
-185lbs
Stoney beat me to it but I was going to say you are describing a Yeti DH9. For ride description - see above.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
hmm... well no change in the chain, similar to the rotecs...

(and as far as i know the new graphics/paint jobs are improved)

pic doesnt show the new graphics

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'd have to vote Yeti....

However if chain growth is a deal-breaker for you....well, it's not the most chain/derailleur friendly bike ever...

But it's a very forgiving bike when it comes to crashing into/over stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by yetirider22
I ride exzactly how you do, and my yeti dh-9 would suit your needs perfectly. Chain growth is minimal and the floating brake is flawless.
Chain grown minimal on a design where the wheel goes up and back? Even if it went straight up, that is still a good deal of chain stretch.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by rbx

My physique
-5' 8"
-very muscular
-185lbs
ANYTHING but an Orange!

Actually, i would look at the V10 or a Yeti. Both seem to fit the bill for your style, probably a few others out there as well. Long, low and burly.

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
I just put the new dorado mrd x-werks on and it handles like a dream. Just in case you are not aware, that fork has 8" of travel. I also had a friend that put an 8" shiver on his dh-9 and had no problem with messing up the geomtry. The bike handles like a dream. Also you will notice a huge difference in pedaling if you get a swinger 4 way for the back, the bike handles better than I could have ever imagined with the swinger.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
5' 5.5" now!

What did you miscalculate? :D Take off your hat? lol

The Lenz and Rotec will not have chainstay growth. Riding a bike with no growth is noticable but you can forget about it on other designs. The Lenz and Rotec designs have other traits people can point out. Much has been answered with current shock tech. Like on all teh rest of the design that work better with the new shocks.

I am havinga hard time thinking of other current designs that have zero growth.....:think:

Balfa BB7, PDC Racing and the like with jack shaft or redirected chains help limit chainstay growth.

Yetis I have no real time on I rode one that seem really slacked out. That is why soem refer to teh shorter forks helping on the Yeti. It isn't a problem persay just something to consider. The Rotec is ready for a 8 inch fork but might be to much for you at 5'5.5" or even the yeti

.....if that is truely how tall you are. ;) :)

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
5' 5.5" now!

What did you miscalculate? :D Take off your hat? lol

The Lenz and Rotec will not have chainstay growth. Riding a bike with no growth is noticable but you can forget about it on other designs. The Lenz and Rotec designs have other traits people can point out. Much has been answered with current shock tech. Like on all teh rest of the design that work better with the new shocks.

I am havinga hard time thinking of other current designs that have zero growth.....:think:

Balfa BB7, PDC Racing and the like with jack shaft or redirected chains help limit chainstay growth.

Yetis I have no real time on I rode one that seem really slacked out. That is why soem refer to teh shorter forks helping on the Yeti. It isn't a problem persay just something to consider. The Rotec is ready for a 8 inch fork but might be to much for you at 5'5.5" or even the yeti

.....if that is truely how tall you are. ;) :)
lol yeah i will stick with 5' 5.5"......for now:D

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
At 5' 5" ish you are going to have a tough time finding and DH frame that fits. I am the same height and my 02 DHR is the only rig I found that would fit me. For me standover was a big deal since I only have a 28" inseam.

Maybe an older 02 medium DHR? It would be a bit longer in the TT than the small? Not as slack as what it sounds like you are looking for but when you short there is not much out there to choose from.

The other bike is an XS Giant DH. I think Ssaddict had one for sale?

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by John Sullivan`
Hey RBX,

Check out our rider Luke Strobel at the PA dubs in Washington.
He's a smaller rider like yourself but prefers our
lg/med mast dh9.

Has a boxxer hanging up front
as well and I run a slider plus. BB between the
two size shocks (8"or 9") is quite good between 14.5o and 15.0

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=174257

cheers,
thanks for the input sully!

So what would the BB height be with an 8" fork+26" rear wheel?(i.e dorado)

felixy69

Chimp
Apr 11, 2002
VaNcOuVeR......KiTs
i have had a dorado on my rotec moto dh 9
no different between the dh9 and FR8 just 1 inch less travel
and now i run a slider + just like sulleys
i am 165lbs 5.7" and i ride a med with small mass.....amd i am in love with it

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
slay shat said:
ALL your guyses ideas suck
You should be a moderator...then you could ban yourself and save another mod the trouble.