Quantcast

So this week i ll buy my road bike.HELP NEEDED, i am stuck

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

I am back in the UK after summer holidays. Here is the lowdown.

Gios Compact pro is my primary choice. But, the importer is actually a bike shop and not a company. Hence, smaller than normal backup, and, possible difficulty to get it locally where i live (i got no car by the way).

The closest place that the frame is sold, is 70$ with the train...and 3.5hrs. Which basically means, optimally 70$ on top, coz if i need to go there 2 times (1 to try and order and 2nd time to actually get it built etc...) this means 14hrs on the train and 150$ excess cost, plus the hassle to haul the bike on the train.

Further options?

Orbea UltraFoco Steel frame with carbon seatstays... roughly 100$ more expensive than the Gios. I know jacksh1t about Orbea...are they good high end stuff? I can get them through my LBS easily. Any opinions on Orbea will be greatly appreciated, and how it compares to Gios for durability and longetivity. Are the CF stays bad news? Lifetime warranty on the frame...

Lemond Alpe dHuez 2002 frame , 853 main triangle, 525 stays. for 900$ complete bike with 105 gruppo and CPX21 rims. (for +200$) i could upgrade to Centaur gruppo. Maybe a better geometry? long TT short ST. Lifetime warranty offered by Trek UK.

Ciocc, Basso, Colnago (no more Steel in the UK), and other brands are UBER Difficult to get...

So, classic handmade heritage: Gios
modern handmade heritage : Orbea
cheap (made in Taiwan) but honest 853: Lemond.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am in a bit of a hurry coz i want to get this bike very soon to log on some September miles and to celebrate my bday.

Yannis

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
First and foremost... you were measured, correct? I'm assuming all your options meet your measurement requirements, correct?

How much are the Gios and Orbea? $900 for the Lemond sounds like a steal. US$900? I'd so jump on that in a heart beat... assuming the Frame is 2002 and everything else is brand new. Which it would have to be if the Centaur options is there.

I believe all three have equal enough reputations for quality, so don't worry about that...

Go with the mix of measurement/geometry, LBS support, and price. If you have your heart set on the Gios, can't you phone in the order? Why do you have to travel to place the order?

EDIT: I think the Lemond is a good deal, not a steal. Sorry for the confusion.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
the Lemond costs 700GBP full bike, CF fork, 105gruppo. I guess with 900GBP i can get it build with Centaur. It is a brand new 2002 bike on clearance. 1GBP=1.6usd btw.

Orbea Ultrafoco+CF stays is 600GBP for frame, will go to 1100-1200GBP with Centaur.
Orbea Zona steel is much cheaper and its 100% steel , no CF.
Gios, i like it a lot, but now that i have seen orbea i am mixed.

The Orbea/Lemond geometry would fit me better. Long torso short legs.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
math2014 said:
The Orbea/Lemond geometry would fit me better. Long torso short legs.
well, test rides would be ideal, a couple 3-4 hour rides, but that doesn't sound possible. As sush, measurements... if the O/L measure better, than why ya considering Gios?

How much different is the Zona from Ultrafoco?

I'm currently poor, so a steel fork instead of carbon wouldn't bother me, but I think you should buy the best bike you can afford/budget.

I also think Lemond is an ass, so I wouldn't buy his name :devil:

If you like your LBS and they'll build the bike for you, giving you the right parts for your fit, then buy one of the Orbea steel bikes.

A friend bought an Orbea with Veloce here (Denver, CO, USA) for US$1600 -- that included the cost of measuring.

Ultrafoco is top of the line Columbus steel? How much is the Zona?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
The orbea zona is 300GBP Zona is a middle end Colombus tubing as i understand, while Ultrafoco is the best steel produced by colombus.

I am just wondering on the durability of the Ultrafoco CF frame... any ideas?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
nope, I don't know any details; however, I can guess... Orbea is a quality company using one of the best steel materials on the market. I'm sure the steel portion of the bike -- assuming no odd defects -- would last 20-30 years?

As for the CF stays, no knowledge on my end. But it's warrantied, right? I know you want enough info to make an informed decision, but I personally wouldn't worry about the carbon at all. I'm just guessing, but I have to imagine Orbea using the best steel wouldn't go crap on the CF.

I say pick a bike, buy the damned thing and get out there... stop worrying so much! :D

As we say with motorcycles, this is your first bike, not your last... hopefully :devil:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Lord you are 100% true on what you just said. I was about to get the Gios and the reality here in the UK proved to be problematic... hence i discovered Orbea... ;)

Now as far as models... well The Zona uses Nivachrome DB colombus Tubing, and the Ultrafoco, well Ultrafoco 3ple butted tubing.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Guys thanks for all the advice.

Final question.

Zona and Ultrafoco. I ve made my search for the tubing, but i still havent found my answers. Is the ultrafoco too thin for everyday training/fitness usage? Will this compromise the long term durability of the frame? I want it to last at least 10yrs without any headaches.
I dont want to worrie about dents, cracks etc.... hence i opted for steel.

Now the other Zona frame, is it good enough or Zona is considered budget solution?

Yannis

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Unless you plan on racing, I think the zona is the way to go. My crossbike weighs in at 22lbs. I had the builder put in a heavier aero downtube for extra stiffness -- 6'3" and 220lbs(100 kilos). Saved a little weight with carbon seatstays. The build isn't the lightest -- XT rear hub, 14g spokes, 30cc wire bead crosstires, old ritchey mtn cranks, extra wide bars.

People that have rode it have commented on how nice it feels.