Quantcast

So what are the current options for good, low cost trail bikes?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've accepted that the M will likely be going away soon, so I'm going to walk away with a new bike out of it. What are the current options out there? I'm looking for a $3000-4000 range and am not married to new. I'm on the fence of 27.5 and 29 because I like to turn, but Wookie says 29 makes more sense. I don't think 'full enduro' is really necessary at this point.

I'll likely swap my Saint's over, so I have less concern about brakes and will pillage the Yeti for better build if it makes sense.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Whats wrong with the Yeti? It has Saint gear on it? Must not be too shabby... Sock that cash away. Rainy day.. Life doesn't give you that many blatant opportunities...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yeah...gg time.

another option would be the yt jeffsy. could be had in crabon with good specs for $3500-$4000

jenson has a sc hightower in crabon for $4k

a lot of the intense bikes (recluse/tracer/spider) can be had in this price range too

lots of options, actually.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Commencal has a 29er e-bike. Demo one and consider coming to the dark side. If it gets you out on the trail more and you can get more dh laps on per hour of riding...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Whats wrong with the Yeti? It has Saint gear on it? Must not be too shabby... Sock that cash away. Rainy day.. Life doesn't give you that many blatant opportunities...
I made the error of riding a new generation 29'er on our annual bike trip. When I came back and rode the Yeti it felt like shit - short, twitchy, tall, and just generally not good to ride. It's got a good package, but it's an old bike with a damaged rear triangle and finding good 26" tires is getting harder.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
Trek actually makes a 23 inch in the fuel ex 8. May not be as sexy as some of the others but may be first mtn bike that fits you. Get in touch with nic and maybe eric or I can get you a ride on one of our team guys bike to see if fit is right for you.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Trek actually makes a 23 inch in the fuel ex 8. May not be as sexy as some of the others but may be first mtn bike that fits you. Get in touch with nic and maybe eric or I can get you a ride on one of our team guys bike to see if fit is right for you.
Steve?

There are many good bikes to choose from these days. the big factor with stoney is frame size. He's like 6'6 and 250+, doesn't help that he rides like an idiot. Correct geometry aside, a proper size with a solid warranty will be key.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have they quit making good 26 tires, or are the new 27.5/29 tires just that good now?
Hard to find non-steel bead/dh cased Minions.

I rode the largest of the Trek Enduro frames and it was too small by a lot. Also, who's this?

They're still out there, just no new designs. Minions are still available in 26" so idk what he's complaining about.
What I said up there

Steve?

There are many good bikes to choose from these days. the big factor with stoney is frame size. He's like 6'6 and 250+, doesn't help that he rides like an idiot. Correct geometry aside, a proper size with a solid warranty will be key.
6'4" and down to 235#, thank you very much. But I don't challenge the riding like an idiot part.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
Yeah this is steve. The slash tops out at 21 traditional xl. The fuel ex come in the rare xxl. 23 inch size but not in the carbon. One of our guys is 6 8 and 240 ish. First bike in long time we can get to fit him and still ride nice.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
XXL Hightower would probably be a perfect fit. Or GG. FWIW I’m 6’4” and ride the Hightower. I was coming off a 26” Knolly Endorphin and haven’t really noticed wheel size being an issue other than the Hightower being way better, both on rowdy shit descending and climbing.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
XXL Hightower would probably be a perfect fit. Or GG. FWIW I’m 6’4” and ride the Hightower. I was coming off a 26” Knolly Endorphin and haven’t really noticed wheel size being an issue other than the Hightower being way better, both on rowdy shit descending and climbing.
I love my Hightower. With 27.5 wheels

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
What. In. The. Fuck. Are. You. Talking. About.
Fucking semi chubby, half fat, + size, 2.6-2.8" tires. Whatever the fuck they are. Squirmy piles I say. My buddy wants one and came to me for my opinion. When i finished laughing, I realized I didnt know much about the semi chubby category. Looking around, the category of half fat (semi chubby) seems to be shrinking. The bells do not seem to be ringing for the semi chubby tire any longer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fucking semi chubby, half fat, + size, 2.6-2.8" tires. Whatever the fuck they are. Squirmy piles I say. My buddy wants one and came to me for my opinion. When i finished laughing, I realized I didnt know much about the semi chubby category. Looking around, the category of half fat (semi chubby) seems to be shrinking. The bells do not seem to be ringing for the semi chubby tire any longer.
You mean a plus bike?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I’d hold out to see what Santa Cruz has in store this year. Then buy an xxl worthy of losing the ///m for.