Quantcast

So, where is the Evil Bikes Interbike report?

NorthWest

Chimp
Feb 11, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I'm amazed if no one has already posed this question. What is Thomas Vandersteeze going to ride at next week's Rampage?

I think the CAD is for ****sandgiggles. The bike has already been made.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There have been a few prototypes around with no logos or paint etc. There is currently no production level bike available, I was told Q1 next year at the absolute earliest.

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
i concur. it's unfortunate all the new stuff we're seeing is just incremental refinements of existing systems. i was hoping to see more alternative drivetrain development by now. looks like most of the interesting innovation is still coming from the garage builders.
OH yeah :)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm starting to think this isn't a single pivot. its some weird linkage like the old c'dale fulcrum, but with the links on opposite sides. and the top link is different.
What's so hard to understand about a singlepivot that allows you to adjust the geometry without affecting the suspension rate? There's no crazy axle path manipulation, the pivot is in almost the exact same position as the old Empire CAD renderings. In fact, the linkage is very similar to the "reverse moto-link" the Empire was to have, except pivoting on the downtube instead of the seat tube...

In other words, this pretty much IS the Empire. Highly adjustable geometry, singlepivot with inverted moto-link shock linkage... I can't believe nobody else has picked up on this yet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What's so hard to understand about a singlepivot that allows you to adjust the geometry without affecting the suspension rate? There's no crazy axle path manipulation, the pivot is in almost the exact same position as the old Empire CAD renderings. In fact, the linkage is very similar to the "reverse moto-link" the Empire was to have, except pivoting on the downtube instead of the seat tube...

In other words, this pretty much IS the Empire. Highly adjustable geometry, singlepivot with inverted moto-link shock linkage... I can't believe nobody else has picked up on this yet.
Its not that the I don't understand how you can have adjustable geometry with a single pivot and not affecting suspension.

what I don't understand is how the bike is gonna get more than 3" of travel without the dogbone linkage smashing into the downtube. Take another look at the renderings...

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
what I don't understand is how the bike is gonna get more than 3" of travel without the dogbone linkage smashing into the downtube. Take another look at the renderings...
Hey, how exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does, it just does.

In other words don't question DW's skillz.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Hey, how exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does, it just does.

In other words don't question DW's skillz.

Ok, time to chime in. This DW worship is not only unwarranted, it's counterproductive to progress. Hopefully Dave would agree. I like the DW link on the Sunday a lot, superb bike.

But, this new design on the Evil proto makes me think; "Where these guys short on time? Cash? Both?" As single pivot designs go, it looks good. But, I have to believe that designs with more cutting edge functionality sit un/under-funded on Dave's drawing board.

I know there quite a few great ideas in suspension that are getting dusty somewhere due to a lack of R&D funding, and cheaper more predictable designs get to production...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I seems like a lot of people like to have a type of bike like the new Evil so from a business stand point that could make sense and get the company off the ground. Then down the line when things settle in its easier to venture into more elaborate development.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey, how exactly is a rainbow made?
f@gs like you shoot them out yer arse :busted:

Ok, time to chime in. This DW worship is not only unwarranted, it's counterproductive to progress. Hopefully Dave would agree. I like the DW link on the Sunday a lot, superb bike.

But, this new design on the Evil proto makes me think; "Where these guys short on time? Cash? Both?" As single pivot designs go, it looks good. But, I have to believe that designs with more cutting edge functionality sit un/under-funded on Dave's drawing board.

I know there quite a few great ideas in suspension that are getting dusty somewhere due to a lack of R&D funding, and cheaper more predictable designs get to production...
As has already been stated in this thread and others, Dave is no longer directly involved in frame design. He is focusing primarily on suspension kinematics.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Chill out brah, if you read into that statement for one thing, you'd understand it's a quote from the movie joe dirt, and two, it's referring to the statement "Durr it looks like the swingarm will hit the frame at 3" of travel, therefore it won't work". I made the responce because statements like that are just like duhhh statements. For anyone to think that Evil bikes would seriously put up a rendering of a frame that would have interference issues of that severity is ludicrous. Tire rubbing on seat post... maybe - swingarm grinding and piercing into down tube at 33% travel, nope.

f@gs like you shoot them out yer arse :busted:
I can assure you the only rainbows that come out of my ass are brown and tend to clog the pooping receptacle they land in. Sorry but I wouldn't suggest chaising my rainbows unless you have a plunger. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
... two, it's referring to the statement "Durr it looks like the swingarm will hit the frame at 3" of travel, therefore it won't work". I made the responce because statements like that are just like duhhh statements. For anyone to think that Evil bikes would seriously put up a rendering of a frame that would have interference issues of that severity is ludicrous. Tire rubbing on seat post... maybe - swingarm grinding and piercing into down tube at 33% travel, nope.
I never said it wouldn't work, but that it wouldn't work the way people think based on a single image of a rough rendering. There's more to this design than we can see, obviously.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Its not that the I don't understand how you can have adjustable geometry with a single pivot and not affecting suspension.

I can't see where you're pulling that from. The swingarm rotates up at the back which means down at the front, pulling the dogbone link which is made from two separate pieces down on either side of the downtube. Personally I'd be more inclined to say it looks like the shock reservoir is going to get smashed into the seat tube, but I'd say they might have thought of that one. The actual angle of rotation of a swingarm is relatively low, the distance the dogbone link would actually be pulled over the suspension's travel would be quite short.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
With a double compressing shock system, I am guessing that the link moves less due to the rear end also compressing the shock. I thought Fusion had a patent on the double compressing shock stuff.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
With a double compressing shock system, I am guessing that the link moves less due to the rear end also compressing the shock. I thought Fusion had a patent on the double compressing shock stuff.
They shouldn't do, plenty of other bikes do it too! The proto Sundays that were around in 04 did it, the Lawwill Rotecs do it, the IF Tungsten Electrode does it, the Session 88 does it and so forth...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
... pulling the dogbone link which is made from two separate pieces down on either side of the downtube. ...
I don't see where you're pulling that from :brows:

The image isn't detailed enough to determine either way. I thought about your solution as well, but the clearance between the swingarm and the DT would determine the maximum thickness of the individual dogbone plates. From the picture I can't tell whether or not there's enough clearance to have a plate with a suitable thickness (and corresponding material strength) for this particular application.

</e-speculation>

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
As has already been stated in this thread and others, Dave is no longer directly involved in frame design. He is focusing primarily on suspension kinematics.
Ok, not arguing that point at all.

My point was that new design ideas are often deemed too financially risky, and that in a world where bottom line is the bottom line, proven designs will get the production green light until they prove less cost effective...

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I thought that Evil planned to launch their whole line last week?

So come Evil - Bring it on, we want more infos of the revolt and of the rest of the line (full sus. + hardtails):biggrin:

bikemonkey

Chimp
Feb 1, 2008
Santiago, Chile
How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does, it just does.
mmmm the posi-trac .... isn't that GM's system? I might be wrong, but plymouth ain't GM, however they did use a slip differential, that is what GM called Posi-trac.

and about the bike. it looks good, light and fast, what is the big deal with it being a single pivot? a high single pivot bike will absorb everything as well or better than a multi-pivot bike. and do have a nice feeling and nice ride to it too.

it is a cycle. may be it is the single pivot suspension design time now.

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
So I guess we wait what Vanderham shows up with in Utah ?
That would be kind of a rough test :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Smoke and mirrors, woooo!

The mysticism/fanboyism surrounding a name that has been sold and bought and isn't anything like the old company is entertaining.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the e-cool cycle spins so fast these days it's entirely possible for a product to go from the next hot thing to yesterdays trash before it even reaches the market. the hype is over, evil, time to replace that tired old design. people have moved on.

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
You're over a bike you've never ridden yet?

How does that work?
I meant the excitement was wearing off a bit, sorry, failed attempt at humor I guess ;-)

Anywayz, this photo from today supposedly kills it ?!