Quantcast

So who here takes there

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Dogs riding with them. Just curious, i have a few friends that take there Dogs riding on the trails, some across town. I take my Dog to the park and She follows me around on the hardtail. Never took her out on the trails though, not sure if she could keep out of trouble. If anyone here does take there Dogs out on the trails, what do you do to help them keep up, and stay out of trouble, like wandering off etc. Just curiouis.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Both my Rottie and my Boxer were awesome on the trails. Both stayed behind and never crossed in front of me. I just made sure to bring water, I had a cool travel bowl that was soft and I could roll it up and stuff it in my pack.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
My German mix goes with me every time. She's in really good shape and just really smart and obedient. She's too busy trying to herd me to get into any trouble. The longest ride she's ever been on was 26 miles in pretty hot weather. I have to take more breaks but it's worth it. FYI: They make these cool dog water bottles with built-in bowls for shorter rides.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Most of my rides were no more than 10-12 miles or so. A solid 3 mile climb (or push) then bomb down. I'm not much of an XC epic ride dude.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We took our girl riding in Memphis and in oxford. Never for more than seven or eight miles though because she gets over heated really quick, and the trails don't get much longer than that in that area. she absolutely loved it. She was always in front, leading the group, and rarely got distracted. When she did, she would come right back. Haven't scoped any trails around this area but when we do, I'm sure she'll be with us.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We don't take our dog. She would not make a good trail dog. She doesn't have the endurance and would get herself lost.

I enjoy it though when people bring their dogs on our group rides. Trail dogs make for good company. :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We don't take our dog. She would not make a good trail dog. She doesn't have the endurance and would get herself lost.

I enjoy it though when people bring their dogs on our group rides. Trail dogs make for good company. :)
Biggins had the best trail dog. I think it was his dog but he ended up giving it to a buddy. Anyway, it came riding with us once and ran like a champ the whole time. When we got back to the truck he curled up on the floor board on my feet and slept all the way home. It was fabulous.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I had a rotty that I use to take. Just stopped at water crossing and let her flop down for a few. Her main issue was I had to be careful what the trail was like -- rocky, any pavement(on the way to the trail) would tear her pads up.

It was easy to train her. We both tried to take the same bridge at 20+mph.:shocked: After that she always stayed behind the bikes.

edit for DRB -- I would only take the dogs out in the winter time.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
my friend used to take his lab riding with us (downhill only), the dog would do the smaller drops and doubles, it was great