Quantcast

software piracy question?

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
So I just bought a new laptop. There is some software on it that I would love on my desktop computer. Since I purchased the laptop with the software on it, can I legally use it on my home PC as well?
Im not interested in doing anything illegally.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Some companies will allow you to have it installed on 2 machines at once, as long as it is only used on one machine at a time. Some actually probe your network (hurr hurr) to make sure that only one copy is running at a time.

J

JRB

Technically you can only have it on one machine. It is not usually licensed by user, to load on as many machines as you like. I would call though. You never know.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
loco said:
Technically you can only have it on one machine. It is not usually licensed by user, to load on as many machines as you like. I would call though. You never know.
This model is changing. Many developers are now allowing it to be installed on 2 machines at once. I believe adobe is one of them, although I am not 100% sure.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Read the EULA. It will tell you exactly how many machines you can have it on. In the past as Loco said it was one license, one computer. But as Transcend pointed out, things are changing.

J

JRB

Dude - do you really call it the end user's license agreement???

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Dude - do you really call it the end user's license agreement???
No. I call it the eula (Yoo-la)

I don't know what I am doing here helping these non pirates. :p

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
derekpearson said:
So I just bought a new laptop. There is some software on it that I would love on my desktop computer. Since I purchased the laptop with the software on it, can I legally use it on my home PC as well?
Im not interested in doing anything illegally.....

Read the Eula. Some programs are licensed for use in Many. Some<Windows for example> are licensed for single machine use

P.S. Eula means End use License agreement. Its that cool thing you click accept on when installing software